Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Marine 454 Big Block

Originally posted by CTX-SLPR
    An engine with no load is an underdamped system, that means all the drag that keeps things from running away too fast isn't there and even a good rev limiter has a hard time keeping it from overspeeding and breaking stuff. A load just means it runs out of power to fight against it and reaches a steady state. Without a load it just keeps going till something breaks or a limiter steps in and bounces the rpm around and the erratic loading and unloading of parts breaks things.

It's why Top Fuel engines go boom in tireshake, not at full song with all things working!
    Under full throttle, you're right (that's why top fuel engines boom on tireshake - overspeed). If you keep the speed down a no load situation (ie. part throttle) engine will definitely outlast a loaded engine. Tazracing - you claim to be an engineer or student or something, under load there is FAR more stress on the components then no load, are you saying that cycling components at a lower stress level such as connecting rods, bearings, pistons, etc. will cause them to fail? If so, then everything should fail in the box before it's installed

It's all relative to keeping the speed of the engine in check, part throttle, governed, less fuel & air is used, therefor lower combustion pressures, lower horsepower developed, LESS STRESS ON COMPONENTS..... If it is at the same throttle position for both no load and loaded applications, the no load one will run away, overspeed & break - at that point the engine didn't fail because of a lack of load, it failed because it was over revved.

Comment

a loaded engine doesn't "over rev"

Comment

Originally posted by Tazracing
        a loaded engine doesn't "over rev"
        and neither does an unloaded engine if you know what the throttle is

Comment

HELP! I am trying 2 building a 1938 BUICK Roadmaster on a 2002 Z71 4x4 chassis. My 38 wheelbase is 133" . I cut the front chassis and will weld the rear 2 it soon. I plan on using my 454 marine engine in it. I need to know what head gaskets should I use? Fel-Pro HS8180PT5 looks good and I realize some of the gaskets will not fit.

Comment

Originally posted by Wana B View Post
            HELP! I am trying 2 building a 1938 BUICK Roadmaster on a 2002 Z71 4x4 chassis. My 38 wheelbase is 133" . I cut the front chassis and will weld the rear 2 it soon. I plan on using my 454 marine engine in it. I need to know what head gaskets should I use? Fel-Pro HS8180PT5 looks good and I realize some of the gaskets will not fit.
            You need to order for the year of the manufacture of the block. That gasket is for a 68-79 block, if that is the year of the block (google the casting number on the rear of the block), then it will work. I also would use Summitracing.com then price whatever the search result finds online (summit may still be less expensive, but not always)
            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Working...
            X