Duratec V12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duratec V12

I've gone loony but rocking a crying baby for hours will do that to you... ;)

I started looking over the Ford 3.4L 60deg V8 found in the 96-99 Taurus SHO, this was largely prompted by me looking at Volvo XC90's as a family hauler. I've always wanted a V12 and this was an interesting way of doing it.

The Ford Duratec family of V6's produced the 3.4L V8 though they won't admit it. The rods are the same and the bore, bore spacing, and what looks like the headbolt pattern are all the same. Since the V8 uses a lower bearing plate instead of individual main caps it looks like you could cut two blocks down to V6's (one loosing the back and the other the front) strategically to form an interlocking pattern and then weld them together then use a welded lower plate to help tie it all together. Similarly you could take two Duratec V6 cranks and weld them together (the V8 crank has split pins so it's out). Heads could be V6 units with the cam drive section cut off of the fronts or V8 units cut down. The cams would the hardest part I'd think. I was thinking you could cut down the V8 cams and then either weld or spline them together. Using V6 cams would be a challenge since the rear of the front cam doesn't leave much to play with.

I've seen the documentation online of the Chevy I6 running a pair of SB2 heads welded together so I don't doubt this would work with enough skill as a welder.
    Central TEXAS Sleeper
    USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Re: Duratec V12

The Aston Martin 6.0L V12 in the Vanquish shared a lot of components and design elements with the 3.0L Duratec V6. Rich people seem to crash a lot, so there are engines available. I drove a Vanquish twice at work, and it was impressive. You'd want the PCM, the wiring, sensors, maybe the instrument cluster, ignition switch if it's got PATS: basically you should probably buy the wreck, strip it, and sell the leftovers when you're done with the project. What do you want to stick a V12 in? I believe they even had a real manual transmission available in the later models. The ones I drove had paddle shift semi-automatic transmissions, and you might not want that headache.

Here's an Aston V12 for $22K.

For a much cheaper alternative, Jaguar V12's are available too. Here's one for a grand.

There was one for $500 that wasn't nearly as clean, and missing a few bits.

Seems like you'd be way better off buying a used one that an OEM spent millions developing, than trying to weld something together.

Comment

No idea what I'd put it in, as I'm not sure the dimensions of it. As I said this was born out of putting a crying baby to sleep with plenty of time to think and then a bit of internet research through bearing and enthusiest sites looking up what was cross compatable. Still $22k is more than I pay for my "new" daily drivers, I can buy and practice a lot with a TIG at that price and I already have mill. To be honest it's a mind game that I wanted to share more than I'm moving down the road of doing. If I knew I could personally weld it up I'd be shopping for SHO's with spun cam gears and smashed valves.

Call me weird but I'd put it under the hood of an X300 XJ or a Fox body LTD if it'd fit.
      Central TEXAS Sleeper
      USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

CTX is getting back to his old self! :D
        www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Oooooh, this is neat. I love learning these little tidbits of info that only another junkie would know.

Regarding the Jag V12's, people seem to avoid them like the plague lol. However, an engineer I worked for (and still do on occasion) built up a badass one: custom intake, custom headers, custom ground cams and whole other bunch of trick stuff. It's currently sitting in a corner of his shop.

Welding two V6's together would be one hell of a job - I think that would earn you a rank in Gearhead Glory. It would beyond awesome to do something like this. Although not nearly on this scale, like you mentioned many folks have cut and welded heads to fit blocks whose designers wouldn't have thought of doing such things in their wildest dreams (or nightmares lol). I have immense respect for people who are dedicated and ingenious enough to make something essentially entirely new.

Comment

.....somebody needs to make a 6.0 V12 out of two 2jz's

Comment

Originally posted by 1988montecarloss

With 2400hp... ;D

Comment

Originally posted by min301

With 2400hp... ;D
                Making a V12 out of two I6's with a common crank would be insane. However, I think you could mount two I6's parallel to each other and couple them together with a chain or gearbox... just like many of the multi-engined LSR cars and dragsters of the 60's.

K, so who's in? Let's build a badass twin-engine FED powered by two I6's leaning over at 45*.... 2JZ's not required, but if we must at least we'll be doing it BangShift style!

Comment

Originally posted by min301

With 2400hp... ;D
                  id settle for a 5.2 v12 made out of two rb26dett's too ;D

Comment

I have to wonder how long a welded-together crankshaft or camshaft would last. I'd think keeping it aligned and straight while welding it would be a major problem. I don't know how Ford Racing did it when they developed the Aston V12, but I'd bet it was CNC'd out of billet.

Aston V12 in a Lincoln LS with a 6-speed would probably be a fun car. I love the sound of a V12.

I think I saw a Falconer V12 in a dragster once. I seem to remember reading somewhere that the Falconer was based on the Rolls Royce Merlin. They're big bucks.

Comment

CTX -- dude, when I hit the lottery, you're getting setup with one HELL of a "mad scientists" you dream up some freakish and cool stuff.

Like anything else in the gearhead world, I'm sure it is possible. Just takes time, money, and skill.

I really enjoy reading your ideas though man, wild stuff!

Brian
                      That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

chain em together like reb's buddy yannick

Comment

Originally posted by Silver68RT
                          I have to wonder how long a welded-together crankshaft or camshaft would last. I'd think keeping it aligned and straight while welding it would be a major problem. I don't know how Ford Racing did it when they developed the Aston V12, but I'd bet it was CNC'd out of billet.

Aston V12 in a Lincoln LS with a 6-speed would probably be a fun car. I love the sound of a V12.

I think I saw a Falconer V12 in a dragster once. I seem to remember reading somewhere that the Falconer was based on the Rolls Royce Merlin. They're big bucks.
                          hmm that might be easier then you think lol seeing as the LS is based off of the XJ i think that's waht it is ???

Comment

LS is based off of the XJ i think
                            Close. LS, S-type Jag, and 2002+ T-Bird are all built off the DEW98 platform. As a small bit of trivia, the 2005+ Mustang also shares part of the same platform. I wonder if the LS and Mustang have the same hard points and you could put the suspension from the LS under the Mustang...hmmm, anyone want to take some measurements? Although Halloween is past, I think I hear the hoofbeats of the Frankenstang.

Comment

DEW98 is an excellent platform.
                              I don't believe the cobra IRS from the SN95 was used for the DEW98, I think it's more jag components.

LS was a great car - just not marketed or priced right - never really caught on - but those that have them for the most part loved them.

I think putting a coupler between the two crankshafts would be easier than trying to weld them together and try to combine the crank cases. Think early twin engine dragster.
                              There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Working...
                              X