Bedding in OEM brakes. Necessary?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bedding in OEM brakes. Necessary?

I'm not talking about 200-300 miles without a panic stop, but a proper bedding in process.

I've always done high-perf brakes properly, but just having replaced the rotors and pads on the wife's 2000 Venture, it occurred to me that I don't think I've ever replaced pads or rotors with OEM type parts, at least not in the last 20 years.

What say you?
    "First I believe if you keep the RPM's high enough, ANYTHING is possible." PeeWee

Re: Bedding in OEM brakes. Necessary?

I would do it......

Comment

I do.

Approximately 20 stops, with time in between to allow cooling
      from 70 to 20mph, using medium pressure, increasing pressure
      on sucessive stops.

After that, allow the brakes to cool, and use normally, trying not to have to panic
      stop for at least the first couple hundred miles.

You should be good to go, provided you cleaned
      and lubed the hardware(cal slides, and tin clips).

Comment

Absolutely...Brakes will NOT work or feel right if not done. Usually takes me half hour or so to complete burnishing procedure (bedding). Vehicle will transform from making you panic that it won't stop to one that will perform a "panic" stop. Follow Bill's advice about lubing slides and replaceing abatement clips as needed (almost always).
        Donna
        Williamston, MI
        Long Haul 2007,2008,2009,2010,2011 2012,2013,2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2021

Comment

Thanks, guys. I guess I knew the answer, but it's just no fun to do in a minivan. ;D

Bill, you recommended 20 cycles. I've always heard that 10 was sufficient, and this is what I've always done, trying to keep it just below the level at which the ABS intervenes. I then take my time to get back up to 60-70 to let things cool off.

What benefit would the additional cycles provide?

"First I believe if you keep the RPM's high enough, ANYTHING is possible." PeeWee

Comment

Making sure all the gasses and oils that are imbedded, get out.

You may not need that many cycles, I just do it, and have no ill issues.

Comment

non directional finish after turning rotors - with the edge of a scotchbrite disc on a die grinder
              and 2 miles of hard driving - customers seem happy

Comment

Yup...always a non-directional finish,
                plus a good dousing with brake cleaner to remove the
                coating they always have on em, with a wipe from
                a clean shop rag.

I've never had a complaint.

Comment

while we are discussing brakes on daily drivers....

I have replaced the rotors and pads on the front, drums, shoes and hardware on the rear of my trusty DD focus wagon in the last few months.

I did not perform a burnish procedure with the strict outlines above - but did do several 45 - 20 medium pressure brake applies when the brakes were brand new.

The rotors had a non directional finish on them right out of the box, I did the brake clean wipe down as always.

The problem is that I have a vibration under light braking.... I don't seem to feel it in the steering wheel so I'm guessing it must be in the rear drums. The car brakes well under light medium and heavy braking.... the car stops nicely. The problem is - this vibration is just annoying after spending the time and money to replace everything.

Could the new drums (which contain the hubs/bearings on this thing - a bit of a PITA to remove) be out of round out of the box?
                  There's always something new to learn.

Comment

ok who here thinks the factory or the dealership does this to new cars...
                    I'll bet none, maybe a vette or highend mustang (rouch/shelby)
                    but normal cars, doubt it..
                    and I'd think, that the factory replacement parts, would be engineered, with this fact in mind, that they don't get bedded..

Comment

Originally posted by IRONHEAD
                      and I'd think, that the factory replacement parts, would be engineered, with this fact in mind, that they don't get bedded..

Then you would be incorrect...at least around here.
                      Every dealer, and repair facility in general has a policy of
                      some sort on this.

Comment

You show me a new car with ZERO miles on the odometer. Most new cars I've looked at will have at least 6 or 7 miles on the odometer, I'm sure every car that leaves the factory goes on a road coarse before being shipped out.

Comment

Originally posted by TubbedCamaro
                          You show me a new car with ZERO miles on the odometer. Most new cars I've looked at will have at least 6 or 7 miles on the odometer, I'm sure every car that leaves the factory goes on a road coarse before being shipped out.

my 1997 f-150 had 1.9 miles on it
                          my 2004 z-71 had 2.6
                          my 2006 hhr had 3.o miles..
                          my 2006 gto had .8 when it rolled off the transporter

Comment

Originally posted by milner351
                            while we are discussing brakes on daily drivers....

I have replaced the rotors and pads on the front, drums, shoes and hardware on the rear of my trusty DD focus wagon in the last few months.

I did not perform a burnish procedure with the strict outlines above - but did do several 45 - 20 medium pressure brake applies when the brakes were brand new.

The rotors had a non directional finish on them right out of the box, I did the brake clean wipe down as always.

The problem is that I have a vibration under light braking.... I don't seem to feel it in the steering wheel so I'm guessing it must be in the rear drums. The car brakes well under light medium and heavy braking.... the car stops nicely. The problem is - this vibration is just annoying after spending the time and money to replace everything.

Could the new drums (which contain the hubs/bearings on this thing - a bit of a PITA to remove) be out of round out of the box?
                            try going fast backwards give it a good snap).

I just did drums and brakes too.. old subartu. I forgot seating the drum brakes need going backwards a few times. New stuff may not be bent.. the sheer density of the steels needs time. just bedding the pads carries it along , unless bearings are bad, or wheel, cv, on and on..
                            Previously boxer3main
                            the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

yea - I will do a few good reverse applies.

the focus (or feces as I affectionately refer to it ) has an integrated hub / drum design - so - it doesn't lend itself to easy drum removal and inspection just by pulling the wheel.

so - the rear bearings were replaced as part of the new drums.

The front bearing is starting to howl - and since the truck is down too - I will likely be paying to have that fixed while I'm at work one day this week. >
                              There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Working...
                              X