Tranny question.!!!!help!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tranny question.!!!!help!!!!!

My son bought a 2002 lincoln LS, V8, when he puts the car in reverse it wants to take a second or two then it kind of slams into gear, goes down the road through all the gears just fine, talked to a local transmission guy he said it could be electronics or it might need a full rebuild ($2900) thats half what he paid for it, i dont want my kid taken advantage of so if any of you guys have any ideas lets hear'em, thanks
    Never kick a fresh Turd on a hot day.....Harry S Truman

Re: Tranny question.!!!!help!!!!!

06/29/09

5R555/5R55N/5R55W TRANSMISSIONS - SHIFT
    CONCERNS, LOSS OF 2ND, 3RD AND 5TH GEAR,
    INCORRECT RATIO DTC'S - PROCEDURE TO
    INSPECT AND REPAIR SERVO PIN BORE WEAR

FORD:
    2002-2005 Thunderbird
    2005-2009 Mustang
    2002-2009 Explorer
    2007-2009 Explorer Sport Trac

LINCOLN:
    2002-2006 Lincoln LS
    2003-2005 Aviator

MERCURY:
    2002-2009 Mountaineer

ISSUE
    Some 2002-2009 Explorer, Mountaineer, 2007-2009 Explorer Sport Trac, 2002-2006 Lincoln LS, 2005-2009 Mustang, 2002-2005 Thunderbird and 2003-2005 Aviator vehicles equipped with a 5R55S, 5R55W, and 5R55N transmission may experience shifting concerns. A loss of 2nd, 3rd and 5th gear, may have overdrive band or intermediate band failures due to servo pin case bore wear causing reduced apply pressure.

ACTION
    Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Comment

My 03 V6 does that ever so often but I have the TBW setup and that has its own issues with the transcontrol.
      Central TEXAS Sleeper
      USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Prices for the parts for the 5R55W are insane. He's not getting ripped off at 2900.00

Comment

all his forward gears are good, just hits hard going into reverse...servos????

Comment

Its most definitely the reverse solenoid pack it seems like all those trannys have that problem at one time or another.
            Original Carjunkie TV Member

Comment

Originally posted by Screaming Detroit
              Its most definitely the reverse solenoid pack it seems like all those trannys have that problem at one time or another.
              There's only one solenoid pack. Reverse bands are bad about the lining flaking off. Servo bores are bad about wearing out. Servo pistons go bad. Overdrive planets fail left and right. Solenoid packs fail. Pump flow valve wear out. Valve bodies wear out.

Servo bores can be reamed and repaired with bronze sleeves. That will save the case.
              There are companies designing new servo pistons to replace the original servo pistons that will eliminate reaming and use of bronze sleeves.

Comment

Originally posted by fine59
                all his forward gears are good, just hits hard going into reverse...servos????
                If your wanting to try something less expensive, then replace the solenoid pack. If it doesn't work, then you can reused the new pack with the rebuild that is then needed.

Comment

thanks for the replys, my boy is footing the bill on this one and 2900 is his life savings, (Welcome to the world of used car ownership Jr)

Comment

If you go the route of trying the solenoid pack,after you install it before you drive it unhook the battery because you need to erase stored data so the tranny will relearn it self.
                    Original Carjunkie TV Member

Comment

if you buy it from dealer - always go for the extended warranty
                      my family and friends always get way more out of it than they invested into it

Comment

Except do not go with a warranty from C.A.R.S. unless you are fine with a used trans. They never pay for a rebuild.

Comment

Working...
                        X