Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using oxy/acet to "blow out" broken bolts in cast iron

Gents,

I've seen a few folks do this in the past, and was always a bit intimidated by the risks involved.

Last night a friend brought over a differntial case / leaf spring mount for his '61 corvette - with a 1/2" bolt sheared off even with the casting - he had drilled the bolt out and tried an ez out with no luck.

I first tried heating up the remainder of the bolt with the torch - then tried a couple differen ez outs with no luck.

Knowing that these things don't exactly grow on trees - I was a bit intimidated to attempt "blowing out" the bolt with the torch, but it appeared to be our only remaining option.

I've used a torch a bit - but am by no means a pro - I use a smith handle with three tubes to the head - no valve for the cutting oxygen, with a zero size tip.

I turned the acet regulator to 5lb, and the oxy to about 25.... not enough power.
    I turned them both up a little - finally reaching about 8lb acet, 40lb oxy....

I managed to blow out the torch a couple times while trying to cut out the bolt - it was in a blind hole - so all the molten steel was being blown right back out of the hole at the torch tip.... I ended up cleaning it a few times.

After 3 blow outs - I managed to get all the bolt out and cleaned the hole (the remaining slag was brittle and easily removed with a pick or chisel) then ran a tap through it.

What pressures / tip sizes / techniques do you experienced torch handlers use for this process?
    There's always something new to learn.

Re: Using oxy/acet to "blow out" broken bolts in cast iron

I've always used the smallest tip I could..
    but most times just put a nut on top of the bolt(staft) and weld it on..
    heat around the bolt hole.. and with a candle stick.. wick the wax into the threads.. and turn the nut..

Comment

I have a very small they call a suit case set up just like they use from the movies on break in shows the torch is about 10 inches long in total. drill a hole in the center of the bolt all the way if its not a bottoming hole and blow it out of it.

The problem with most easy out are the tighter they get the more it locks it in because of the taper, the straight flute ones or left hand drill bits work well.
      2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
      First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
      2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
      2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

Not sure if you have tried this but.... heat up the bolt till it is cherry red and then just soak that soaker with cold water. I have never seen anything at school that didn't come out after the third heat and shock, and we dealt with some really rusty junk there.

Comment

So....

what pressures and tip sizes do you guys use for the most common torching chores?

Comment

5-7 acet 25on oxeg on the small
            big gets 10 and 35-40
            2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
            First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
            2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
            2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

Thanks Jeff - I was probably being too conservative with the acet pressure when trying to blow out that 1/2" bolt.

I'm just glad I got it out without screwing up the part!

Comment

Three words, John - E D M! EDM is the coolest system ever for removing broken junk - taps, etc. are no problemo. You'll have to find a shop that will do small jobs like that but I'm sure there is SOMEBODY in Metro Detroit. We had a machine at EPA and it was the cat's fanny.

Still, it sounds to me like you got it done so your method is Just Right.

Dan

Comment

EDM is awesome. Our machine up here is broke though, it some french make that no one can find parts for.

Comment

Working...
                  X