Pro's and Cons of Switching to A Fuel Cell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pro's and Cons of Switching to A Fuel Cell

I for the most part have decided to switch from my OE gas tank to a trunk mounted fuel cell. But wanted to see what everyones opinions were first before I make the switch.

Re: Pro's and Cons of Switching to A Fuel Cell

I use my trunk, so the gas tank stays underneath.
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Watching this one. Mirada's tank is only 12-13 gal. at best. Need more.
      Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

It all depends on why and what your doing with it
        2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
        First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
        2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
        2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

Its all cons for a street car....No trunk space, need a bulkhead to be tech legal, even with the bulk head there is always a slight fuel smell in the pass compartment. I still added one to the chevelle though....

I can still fit a few chairs and my tool bag in the trunk for cruising etc.
          Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Originally posted by cal67ss396
            I for the most part have decided to switch from my OE gas tank to a trunk mounted fuel cell. But wanted to see what everyones opinions were first before I make the switch.
            Do you have a cage??

Comment

I installed a 12 gal cell in my trunk - dead center. With the fuel pump, lines and nitrous bottle, there's not much room to put anything else in there (although I probably wouldn't use the trunk space regardless).

As Bamfster mentioned, there is the smell of fuel inside the car and you do need to install a metal plate between the trunk and passenger compartment to pass tech. Even if you're not racing, it would be a good idea to do so.

In hindsight, one thing I don't like about it... from the rear of the car, you can see the rear axle and diff. Not that that's not good - I'd just rather be looking at a nicely finished OEM tank taking up the space.
              Nitrous, baby!!...

Comment

mount it under or at least through, the trunk floor..
                with a cover.. with a 1"by 1" steel cage.. like a stockcar..
                and you'll have a trunk..
                if you put it through the trunk and it hangs 1" lower than the stocker.. it'll only be 3-4" above the trunk floor..
                you can build a cover with a flap door to fill it.. and still have a trunk

Comment

I have a steel tank in the floor but past 9.90 it will starve from the right rear corner sump ,,,,,, Mosst fuel smell comes from lines that are covered rubber and its breathing thru the line, also I never mount a pump in the trunk if it leaks your on fire before you know it. Ask SEERED about this one. took two years but his rubber line leaked and up the trunk went

Comment

The need for a bulkhead between the cabin, or the loss of trunk space as well as being able to see the rearend does not bother me. What does concern me is the smell of fuel inside the car. I plan on using AN line for the fuel line as well as the vent line.

Jeff, is this what you meant by rubber lines. To eliminate the fuel smell should I use hard lines.

I plan on running the car on the street 80% of the time and 20% at the drag strip. I can assure you the fastest the car will ever go is probably in the low 11's.

And no the car does not have a cage.

I know the potential I have in mind for my car is not fast but I plan on in the future possibly upgrading to EFI. I know I am going to switch from a mechanical fuel pump to an electrical fuel pump. Which is the two main reasons I am considering switching to a fuel cell. If I was going to continue to use a mechanical pump I would just remain with the stock tank. But the car is in the position currently so I can install a fuel cell easily. Thanks for all of your input, you all have brought up things I did not think of when considering this.

My biggest concern is the fuel smell, my wife and daughter have sensitive noses and I really would like to continue to be able to enjoy my car with my family.

Comment

I use Areo Quip Teflon line, it does not breath or deteriorate, you can also just route it out side the trunk, My pump is mounted in the right rear corner of the car under the trunk floor

Comment

If EFI is the biggest reason for a fuel cell, I'm 90% certain there are bolt in gas tanks for chevelles that are sumped specifically for EFI. Or you can go my route and install a surge tank/canister. I've logged over 2,000 miles on the EFI now (1,000+ to CA and back, 500+ to L.V. and Back, and well over 500 miles around town) using a stock tank and the surge tank, and not once have I noticed any stalling or hesitation around turns, etc. while driving even with the gas gauge pegged on E and putting in 18.5 gallons in a tank that took 20 when I run out.
                        Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

As soon as I pull out of the garage with the window down, the smell goes away. It seems to only appear when the car has been parked with the windows up for a few days.
                          Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Additionally I've had an electric pump on this car mounted on the frame rail by the stock gas tank for ten years with the carb with no pick up issues. Also when I get back to EFI'ing the T-bird (round two!) I will be using the stock Mechanical pump to fill/maintain the surge tank and a TBI pump to feed the TBI from the surge can.
                            Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

I'm with Randal on this....I would need a much better reason than switching to efi to go with a fuel cell. I don't really see any advantage to a fuel cell for efi anyways, why do you think it would be better?
                              My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Working...
                              X