Lightest weight for a Fox Mustang?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lightest weight for a Fox Mustang?

We want to race in a drag series out here that's based on 8 pounds per cube. We also have Matt King's old '80ish Mustang coupe with a 302 and a four-speed and a legal rollbar. I'd like to run a little engine with lots of rpm and a very light car. Does anyone know how light I can get a Fox coupe with an aluminum-headed. carb'd small-block? We can run aluminum seats and eliminate the rear seat. We can gut all the bumper supports. The only fiberglass allowed is the hood. We have to run stock windows.

I need to estimate the weight so I can build a motor to match. A 351 would be 2,808, a 347 would be 2,776, and a 331 would be 2,648. Can we get it as light as 2,776 with a 200-pound driver?

Re: Lightest weight for a Fox Mustang?

I dont think you will get there with a 200 lbs driver unless its a Max Effort car job( China fenders, and trunk lid skin only, door skins, crash supports out of the car, the 40 lbs of dumb dumb and sound deadning do the brakes spindle wheels 15 lbs out with the new Hoosier tire) 2800 - 2850 will be it if its a gutted together car, with that driver. I am geussing the one that came in second to me at Drag week was 3000- 3100 with a skinny driver
    2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
    First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
    2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
    2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

Originally posted by Freiburger
      We want to race in a drag series out here that's based on 8 pounds per cube. We also have Matt King's old '80ish Mustang coupe with a 302 and a four-speed and a legal rollbar. I'd like to run a little engine with lots of rpm and a very light car. Does anyone know how light I can get a Fox coupe with an aluminum-headed. carb'd small-block? We can run aluminum seats and eliminate the rear seat. We can gut all the bumper supports. The only fiberglass allowed is the hood. We have to run stock windows.

I need to estimate the weight so I can build a motor to match. A 351 would be 2,808, a 347 would be 2,776, and a 331 would be 2,648. Can we get it as light as 2,776 with a 200-pound driver?

Yes, it's possible.

It will require alot of work, and the interior will be minimal. Starting with a coupe body style will help not only in weight, but stiffness as well. Lots of fiberglass body parts are available.

Comment

buy the lightest tubular K member out there (I think its AJE or UPR)
        get light weight control arms
        alum drive shaft
        put a fuel cell in it
        minimal guages
        take out the heater box
        cut the cross bar in the doors
        (buy manual widow doors)
        light weight wheels and tires are a given
        Alum calipers

I have done some foxbodies that were pretty light but getting down under 2800 with driver is not goign to be easy LOL with the mods ive listed you can get into the 2900lb range pretty easy though.

get out the hole saw and start swiss cheezin behind the plastics.

Comment

My old Pro Turd Mustang got down to 2950 with a 200lb driver (me) and gear behind the wheel. That was with an iron headed 302, C4 and 8.8, alum dash, gutted interior, no front bumper supports (26#lbs on the scale if anyone wants to know), no cage. It still had the factory k member, door braces, full rear bumper, suspension and a factory seat. There is room to get it down another 100lb even with a cage but it would be tough to get it much below that.

Comment

If you where starting from scratch I say it would be easy, but a done car its not going to be a weekend deal, but 2850 would be within reason. That drilling sucks just use a plasma cutter! :o

Comment

We can run engine swaps, and we can run aluminum blocks only of they are of OE manufacture. Perhaps I should put a stock-displacement LS motor in it and shoot for 2,800 pounds.

Comment

My Neighbor just got an AJE K-member setup for his 79' stang' with a small block chevy...nice piece great price

Comment

They have great super stock heads out from GM now, or Curtis from RFD has a great program for them. I would love to get you with him on a project, he is a off shoot of Darin Morgan style porting.

Comment

85 L coupe (4 cyl 4 speed factory)

everything removed but dash/doorpanels/rear seat and carpet

2460 with aluminum headed SBF

Comment

Working...
                    X