Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pertronix Ignitor ---anyone had problems?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pertronix Ignitor ---anyone had problems?

I've had two that misfire when hot. One car did it only a couple of times, the other does it all the time and gets worse the longer you run it.

I moved the power lead to a switched ignition lead so that it's not powered by the resistance wire to the coil, but no improvement. It misfires throughout the RPM range, and at any throttle position.

The car ran fine until I swapped the points out. I may switch back to points until I have the $$ for an MSD setup if I don't find anything wrong and it is the Pertronix that's bad.

Re: Pertronix Ignitor ---anyone had problems?

yep i too have had problems with them
    same thing as you to not working after a week of working
    now i run MSD's or the crane points converson
    i know people who sware by the Petronix but not me
    good luck

Comment

No problems on the four I've installed. All work great.
      BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

The one I have in the '54 has been rock solid - but a buddy of mine had a heck of a time with one in his '69 cougar... he put the points back in.

I don't know anyone that has run the crane or other conversions, but I haven't heard of any issues with them in any of the forums.

I think the crane one is even cheaper than the pertronix - course - are they making them anymore?

I had a unilite in my '70 mach1, it worked fine for as long as I had it... but I had a msd6a box go bad on me, they fixed it free though.
        There's always something new to learn.

Comment

At least 10 installs here with zero problems. Usually when I hear about probs like yours, I start measuring the basics - resistance to ground from the block & chassis, and that shows the real issues.

You probably have a high resistance ground. Get a volt meter, set it to measure resistance (ohms) and touch one probe toyour dist body, and the otherto battery negative. If it's more than 1.0, there's your problem.

If not, the next most common problem is an ignition issue. Pertronix modules do NOT like "racing plug wires" (which are junk anyways), and you might have a worn cap or rotor, or a bad coil wire.

-Scott
          www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek
            At least 10 installs here with zero problems. Usually when I hear about probs like yours, I start measuring the basics - resistance to ground from the block & chassis, and that shows the real issues.

You probably have a high resistance ground. Get a volt meter, set it to measure resistance (ohms) and touch one probe toyour dist body, and the otherto battery negative. If it's more than 1.0, there's your problem.

If not, the next most common problem is an ignition issue. Pertronix modules do NOT like "racing plug wires" (which are junk anyways), and you might have a worn cap or rotor, or a bad coil wire.

-Scott
            Thanks, I'll check the resistance on the ground. The battery is in the trunk, so checking it at the ground point on the frame should be okay right? I have a battery cable as a ground from the block to the frame that is probably 12" long. The cable is in good condition and I cleaned ALL the contact points, block, frame, cutoff switch, battery.

I'm using a stock '65 289 dist housing with different springs and bushings I modified to get the total advance and curve I want, and it has a new cap, rotor, (motorcraft stuff, not junk) and I'm not using the vac. advance diaphram and the wires I'm using are the Pertronix set they recommend, in black so I don't offend anyone.

Comment

Pertronix have always been solid for me. Been using them since 90 or so. Never had any issues other than burning one up due to leaving the ign on without the engine running until the batt died. The newer ones are supposed to be protected from that so I understand.

They do require a full batt voltage on the red wire at all times so if your running yours through the resister then.....

Usually if one fails its due to something outside itself/install/hookup error. I have YET to have one fail on its own for what its worth.

Chris 8)

Comment

Originally posted by vt junk
                Thanks, I'll check the resistance on the ground. The battery is in the trunk, so checking it at the ground point on the frame should be okay right? I have a battery cable as a ground from the block to the frame that is probably 12" long. The cable is in good condition and I cleaned ALL the contact points, block, frame, cutoff switch, battery.
                check the ohms to the frame, then check from the frame to battery negative. Add up the total ohms, and if it's more than 1.0 - problems.

Also, touch your probes together and make sure they show "zero" first. Sometimes you can have resistance in the probes themselves that'll throw you off.
                www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

They also don't play nice with real "hot" aftermarket coils either..... in my experience.
                  Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

I put one in my t-bird a month after I got the car. The rings are shot and it would foul the plugs all the time before the conversion, now it fires up easily and runs good. Put one on my friend's Olds 442 a few years ago and it still works like a champ.
                    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

I have put them in a 59 olds and a 67 mustang
                      seems flimsy
                      I prefer those DUI hei for street cars

Comment

I had constant trouble with the points in the old 312 in my 57 Ford. I took them out 2 years ago and threw them as far as I could, then put in a Pertronix ignition. Fired right up on the 1st turn and has ever since. I have a Mallory unilite in my Mustang, works perfectly. I've used unilites for 25 years without a single problem.... When I get the new engine in the 57, I'll most likely re-use the same Pertronix module in that one....

Comment

the hei magnetic pickup and pickup coil lasts a long time
                          pertronix - set the gap , doesn't seem like it will work , but it works

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan
                            the hei magnetic pickup and pickup coil lasts a long time
                            pertronix - set the gap , doesn't seem like it will work , but it works
                            I had a Pertronix in my '68 Cougar and it only gave me problems once. Don't know what caused it really, just seem to be when the car ran hot, the ignition malfunctioned. It's still in the car as far as I know, I sold it a few years ago and the kid is driving it.
                            So I know they work and usually work well. Maybe I'm chasing the wrong thing. Could be running lean at part throttle.

Comment

No issues with mine....had a misfire once and found the +/- leads at the coil were loose, snugged them up and have had no issues since
                              If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Working...
                              X