Fried Speedometer Cable.......What happened Next

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fried Speedometer Cable.......What happened Next

Click image for larger version  Name:	Retainer.jpg Views:	1 Size:	37.2 KB ID:	1211412Click image for larger version  Name:	Displaced_Drive_Cog.jpg Views:	1 Size:	220.8 KB ID:	1211413Click image for larger version  Name:	Tailshaft_Off.jpg Views:	1 Size:	114.7 KB ID:	1211414Click image for larger version  Name:	Retainer_Replaced.jpg Views:	1 Size:	103.0 KB ID:	1211415

So due to my elevated engine temperatures the speedo cable got all fried and twisted up.

I got a new AC Delco cable off RockAuto and it arrived Wednesday.

Got it installed pretty quickly, the bummer part being the connection at the speedo head.

Immediately went out to test my new cable and................NO SPEEDOMETER !!!

The car was lurching into high gear I suppose the speedo is sending some kind of message to the trans lockup.

Checked the cable connection at the speedometer...good.

Checked the cable connections at the trans....good.

Next I removed the driven gear from the trans, thatīs good but the drive gear seems to have left itīs post,
    and inside the trans tail I found a tiny clip/retainer thingy.

Looked in my TH700R4 manual and found it to be the drive gear retaining clip.

How it got out is a mystery, I surmise the sudden welding of the speedo cable caused a bit of an occasion
    at the drive and driven gears popping the drive gear out of itīs location.

Right now itīs nearly done, just have to tighten the speedometer cable at the trans ans put the instrument panel back together.

The worse part of doing this is disconnecting the torque arm and re installing it.....C clamps and muscle......unless
    someone knows a two minute method.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by malc; August 9, 2018, 07:55 AM.

The speedometer cable needs to be far away from exhaust. And you need to grease the inner part, before you install it.

Strange that the clip fell out, thanks for the pics
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Unlike the cheaper cables this one came all greased up, the cheaper cables come with a sachet of lube.....do it yourself.
      Even so they all originate in China.

Comment

Well the big problem is the loop to begin with, but I can completely understand how plastic gears usually just get chewed apart when the brakes hit the cable, you got lucky the retainer popped and saved parts.

Comment

Working...
        X