kickdown cable 1971 lemans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kickdown cable 1971 lemans

Just put a qjet in the lemans and im having trouble downshifting. The kickdown cable has a lot of slack in it and im thinking thats the issue. i looked up some youthtube videos and most of them show the kickdown cable connecting to the carb but mines connected to the pedal in the cab. whats the best way to run it. I need a hole in the firewall for some gauges so i see a +1 to running the kickdown off the carb. thoughts anyone?

Did you find instructions for adjusting the cable on your car? the factory shop manual is good for stuff like that...get a copy, usually you can find a used one on ebay for a reasonable price.

The way they work, it has to pull the cable all the way, at full throttle. So if there is some slack, it won't kick down. The last little bit of travel has more spring pressure, so it takes some playing to get a feel for the adjustment.

I would leave it where it is if the cable is in good condition. If you need to replace the cable (they crack and leak transmission fluid, among other issues) then you could connect it to the carb, but that requires the right bracket, etc.
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

i have always pulled the shift lever manually into 2nd BEFORE mashing the gas pedal.
      just me though.

Comment

thanks gents. I’ll get a copy of the Manual and go from there. I bet I’ll have it run to the carb. The cable is cracked up near the firewall so it’s life is about over

Comment

what does it look like at the end that attaches to the pedal? this is a Y104 cable from rockauto.com, for ten bucks. Or get one from ebay for 75, not sure if it's the same, none of the pictures or descriptions are very helpful.

This is the correct cable for turbo 350 application on 1968 / 1969 / 1970 / 1971 / 1972 cutlass and 442 models. Kickdown cable goes from the transmission to the gas pedal assembly on the firewall. This is the factory cable that connects to the gas pedal on 1968-72 Cutlass & Skylark.

Click image for larger version

Name:	y-104_1.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	1212285
          My fabulous web page

Comment

Its just something I do not understand. My limited knowledge is on a TV cable, and even that one when it was adjusted too tight, it bent the hook in the transmission and that did not help our issues. The only time I really felt "passing gear" was with a powerglide.

Comment

It is pretty close to that picture. Nothin changed in terms of difference in length for the kickdown so I don’t know what the deal is but I’ll get a new one and see if that works

Comment

I love kickdown on automatic transmissions...it's worth setting it up, makes driving more fun.

My fabulous web page

Comment

I agree. I don’t want to have to drop the shifter every time I want to mash it

Comment

though it may 'feel good' and be more convenient, i would
                    NEVER just floor it and let the trans kickdown at full throttle
                    in any automatic, but especially th350/th400/7004R.
                    though this may come off as preachy im not trying to be, just
                    trying to save fellow bangshifters the pain and COST of learning
                    the hard way, so bear with me...

one of my A.S.E.'s is in auto trans overhaul, ive had hundreds
                    of them torn down and rebuilt them, including my own full
                    manual reverse (with engine braking in all 3 gears.) th350 thats
                    in the white 461" vette.

in a forced full throttle downshift at speed, the clutches and steels
                    take a beating, and the drums and hubs do too.
                    in fact its the #1 reason that a 7004R breaks (besides the front pump
                    bushings failing) is the forced full throttle downshift when the sun shell
                    must instantly go from zero to 55mph or so, in a 3500lb+ car--
                    *SNAP* goes the sun gear clean off of the shell.

imagine a stick shift, floor it in 3rd THEN step on clutch and
                    downshift and pop the clutch..... thanks, ill pass.
                    id rather my trans live longer than 'think' for itself or
                    be simply easier to drive, but to each his own.

i pull a lever, then floor it. problem solved, and zero "lag" as well.

Comment

fatguyzinc thanks for the lesson in t350/400 and 700r4. I dont know that much about transmissions at all other than taking on out and puting a new or rebuilt one back in. I definitely will start dropping the lever when i give it the hammer. I would still like to have the kickdown cable at least for cruising around though. does daily driving with the kickdown cable cause a problem with these trannies??

Comment

it must suck to live in his world

I've never seen a TH350 fail because someone used the kickdown feature.

700s fail for lots of reasons, though.
                        My fabulous web page

Comment

Originally posted by pontiacpower View Post
                          fatguyzinc thanks for the lesson in t350/400 and 700r4. I dont know that much about transmissions at all other than taking on out and puting a new or rebuilt one back in. I definitely will start dropping the lever when i give it the hammer. I would still like to have the kickdown cable at least for cruising around though. does daily driving with the kickdown cable cause a problem with these trannies??
                          not at all-- its the forced full throttle downshift without 'pre-loading' the trans that causes problems.
                          not today, not tomorrow, but maybe the trans gets 8yrs instead of 15....

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                            it must suck to live in his world

I've never seen a TH350 fail because someone used the kickdown feature.

700s fail for lots of reasons, though.
                            seen the th350 outer race on the sprag fail during a full throttle 'kickdown',
                            although its more common on a full throttle upshift with a bang-screech
                            valvebody....

and yes my world sucks hard, hah hah... murphys law got NOTHING on
                            me !!!

Comment

Working...
                            X