Plasma Table

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plasma Table

It's time to build a new plasma table to replace an old manual-tracer one I made years ago. This is really specific-to-fit-my-needs so is not built like what's commonly done. 24x48", uses ball screws for accuracy which are releasable inside slide tracks to still permit manual tracer operation when desired. It's built around a stainless-steel tub which can have water in the bottom to catch some of the cutting crap and vent holes which will connect to a vacuum. Architecture will permit feeding in a full 4' wide sheet of material in from the back and cutting/trimming off it as I go. I'm hoping it will work with a single x-axis screw inside the front rail, if too flimsy then I'll have to add a second screw along the backside rail which will be overhead of the Y-axis rail and is not made yet until I decide. Due to the smallish size I don't think it will need any kind of auto torch height control. I'll use it manually for a couple months first before setting up the Flashcut CNC drive system I picked up from brother's neighbor a while back...wish me luck on that (!), will be a learning experience but there's nothing else to do except get started.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07702.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	122.3 KB
ID:	1210858

Will be fun to watch
    Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

I need to finish mine....
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I have at least a couple projects around here de-railed because of no plasma cutter...mine was so old I couldn't get consumables for the torch head anymore, when I got the new torch I wanted it seemed like I should just build the new table I was thinking about. The tables are wonderful to have, one thing about plasma is the cutting is 'way too bright to be able to see to cut along lines like you can with oxy/acet so the table makes possible what otherwise isn't. We should see today if I'm on the right track with all this, I've got to machine a couple fittings to get the torch installed on my power supply if that's what you call it.

Comment

Yeah, works...OK...about as well as plasma does anyhow, you still get that crappy edge that has to be finished off if either you need it for appearance or are going to weld on it. The tracer is nice, is really meant for cardboard templates although in a pinch you could follow a hand-drawn line. Will post again when the CNC is in and all the temporary construction is finished over.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07703.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	122.1 KB
ID:	1211165

Comment

I can't imagine how noisy this would be however, it is an interesting idea

consumables... yeah, there's a quick way to SBG rage - I just had to buy more a few days ago.... *deep breath* not better but well oxygenated
            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Working...
            X