Radio reception

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radio reception

Two of our vehicles still have the factory radio in them. My 2003 lincoln town car and Jennifer's 2001 chevy suburban. If you get out of town alittle the radio gets very fuzzy. The suburban has been that way sense we got it. My Lincoln seems to have gotten worse lately. I don't want an aftermarket radio. I like the looks and function of OEM but spending 30 mins trying to find a clear station is getting old.

is there anyway to repair the receiver?
    http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
    1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
    ​​​​​​

get a little FM transmitter that plugs into the cig lighter hole, and then plug you phone into that, and listen to all the music you have ripped and stored on your phone as mp3 files.

at least, that's how I would do it. I haven't been able to listen to radio for a long time, too many idiots blabbing and trying to sell me crap, etc.
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

They are not really new cars, so maybe getting into the antenna ground the best you can or spray some deoxidizer in there if you have to pull a fender. Most of the antennas just screw onto a stud if its in the fender. The only internal thing you can do is get an antenna booster. You plug it into the radio and the antenna into it and run 12v and it improves reception. We needed one for an aftermarket radio on the old jeep.

The air is being filled with cell data and most stations are not paying for the boosters anymore trusting people to stream their shows on the smart phone. There are three stations that share 95.1 in chicago. Used to get a wisconsin station, now there are some HD2 stations on it as well. I can drive 3.7 miles to work and hear all three of them at different locations.

Comment

I have not done the mp3 thing for over 15 years. I don't like music that much. I like getting some news / weather. I feel like a new radio would get a better reception. I don't like the displays on a lot of the aftermarket radios, the on in my truck is so bright at night I have cover it up or it gives me a headache, and I like the controls on the steering wheel of the lincoln. Have to look into the booster. The lincoln has one of those in rear glass antenna.

PB 60' 1.49
        ​​​​​​

Comment

I have a friend at work that records his talk radio shows that are streamed then plays them off his phone . I really like factory radios because of their simple controls . If everyone else"s technical answers don't fix you up and our go around with the phone doesn't appeal to you , what Miss Paula and I was going to do was buy the same aftermarket radio for the vette and trailblazer that way I would have to reacquaint myself with a radio every time I drove the other car . But , she but the Acura.
          Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

It is hard to get used to, I want to hear cars, traffic, sirens and accept its illegal in most states to drive with ear phones in. I got a 29.00 speaker that hooks up to my phone when I use the van since its just amfm and the stations around here are all junk. So it takes some getting used to. I am just saying that the future seems to be in streaming and clogging the airwaves with data flying around everywhere. So a little 20.00 booster that you plug your radio into is one step, I just dont know how much harder is is going to be to actually get reception eventually or its all going to be stream sooner than later.

Comment

I don't have unlimited data so I try not to stream. I would bet some of it is the air waves being full but some is the radio my truck with an aftermarket radio picks better.

PB 60' 1.49
              ​​​​​​

Comment

Russell, this isn't exactly what you are asking but I will share my recent experience.

Like you, I was sick of the lack of performance from the factory radio in my '06 Chevy Express van. In fact, I already replaced the original AM/FM radio with a OEM '03 AM/FM CD, and the radio performance was just as lackluster. Had to pay the dealer $50 to make it work, and the CD player broke 2 years later. Oh well.

Anyways, this summer I finally sprung for some real tunes to listen to on those long drives. Called up CrutchField and they beat ALL others in pricing, and have the best customer service I have ever experienced, bar none.

Installed a Kenwood Excelon DDX395 and 6 new Polk speakers, backup camera, microphone, door chime box, etc. Worked great.

Now the interesting thing is the reception. I wasn't expecting much as like others have stated I thought the issue originated with the stations. That may indeed be the case, but the first day of playing with the radio I was pulling in Dearborn MI at my place in Central Ohio. That is not normal at all, lol.

And on the last several 400 mile trips, I have been getting ONE station for the first 200 miles before it fades out, and then a SECOND station for the next 200 miles.

This has been repeated for the last 6 trips, consistently. And in 30 years of making this same trip, I have never had a recurring reception experience like this. I am loving it!

Anyways, hope this helps in some small way. My antennae is still the same old boring factory deal, and no boosters or anything like that.

Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Working...
                X