Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with Horsepower numbers on a 440 Mopar

I live in the Philippines,

I am a retired Navy Disabled Veteran. I have a 1966 Dodge Coronet with a 440,the car was just restored and the engine was rebuilt, the engine builder is a 77 year old american who has lived here for 50 plus years rebuilding and racing engines and cars. He dose not have a dyno machine the nearest one is in Manila far from my place. He has a desktop system he uses but most feel it is not accurate. Anyway i was wondering if you can give me a idea what my 440 is making HP AND TRQ and give me the Cubic inch it was bore 0.60 over?

440 BLOCK Bored 0.60 over
    Forged Crank
    Hemi rods
    Forged pistons 10.5 to1 compression
    Comp cams Camshaft 268/280 duration, lift .477/.480, Flat tappet Xtreme
    Edelbrock RPM Performer Heads with after market rocker arms, i believe 1.5
    Edelbrock Toker Manifold
    Edelbrock 750 Carb
    1 inch 7/8ths Dougs Headers with 2.5 exhaust and Dougs Exhaust cutouts

Again i am wanting 500+ Hp and 525+ Torque, with this setup. Do you think i got it or very close?

If i didn't get near this would getting A hydraulic cam add say 50 to 70 hp and 70 Trq lbs ?
    Or what would be better to do ? Without to much cost.

Thank you
    Last edited by Philippines Mopar Guy; July 14, 2018, 05:59 AM.

The displacement should be 452CI

As to the power:
    The Edelbrock RPM heads and intake wouldn't have been my first choice for pure power output but they should give you very good driveability and seat of the pants feel.
    Have you driven the car? How does it feel? Are you happy with the way it works and just wanting a number to talk about or is it a weak suck?

The desktop dyno programs can be good estimation tools IF you have enough data like port volume, flow rates at the different lifts (.100 - .500), cam duration at .050 and .200.

I don't think 500hp is out of the question on a 450 CI (it is only 1.1 HP per CI) but I have no clue if you got there or not.

Comment

No, i haven't driven the car yet hopefully this week or next week as it will be delivered by then. I wanted drive ability and good streetable power. The guy who was restoring it already was 70% finished by the time i found him and worked a deal. No if it doesn't work well, the guy said he make changes if i wanted with in reason. I have heard it drives nice from the engine builder, he said i would like it.

I just wanting to know what i have and to learn other ways to add some horsepower and torque, Cheaply as get parts over here you pay customs and freight which is about 30% more then you guys in the states pay for the same parts, plus the wait. Thank you for the help. Anyone else willing to help ?

Comment

30+ years of building hi perforfance motors leads
        me to say that for 500hp/500ftlbs, you need more cam--
        like an isky megahydraulic, 292/.505/108. or something
        similar.

you might consider a 1 inch open spacer and a 800-850 carb too.

id bet just about anything that will push your 440+ .060 (453cid, i think..)
        to 500/500 easily. but even if youre "only" at 400/400 now
        (more like 450+ and 480+ is my guess) im certain it will be
        a blast to drive and put a smile on your face for sure !

Comment

Thank you for the info sir, i appreciate it very much will keep that in mind if i decide to upgrade. I guess i need to drive it then decide. Thank you again

Comment

I do agree that most of the high horsepower older engines need to get up to that .300 duration to get the big numbers.

I am interested to know what else you have done to the car to support the horsepower you are looking for? Not a mopar guy, but in 1966, that 440 was putting out about 350 from the factory and pretty sure that performer head and intake package will get you another 75.

Comment

The trans, Is a beefed up 727 torqueflight, and the rear end is a Dana 60 with 4.10 gear ratio, with 35 spline axle shafts. The suspension was all up grade and we mini tub the rear wheel wells. I believe the car could support 800 horse power if i wanted that, but 500 to 600 is enough for me.

Comment

Just guessing, but if properly tuned, you should easily be at your 500/500 goal..
                Fair Winds and Following Seas Shipmate!
                Patrick & Tammy
                - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

I suggest perusing some articles on 440 builds online and comparing parts, compression and other variables. This should at least give yo uan idea of where your at with yours. It is not difficult to pump out 400+ with a 440 with bolt on parts so, my guess simply from looking at your parts and comparing them to other builds I've seen...Id put you in the upper 400's in both hp & tq.

Build a 700hp-capable, race-ready 440 short-block using regular guy parts, and be the meanest hombre at the track!

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Originally posted by Philippines Mopar Guy

I am a retired Navy Disabled Veteran. I have a 1966 Dodge Coronet with a 440,the car was just restored and the engine was rebuilt, the engine builder is a 77 year old american who has lived here for 50 plus years rebuilding and racing engines and cars. He dose not have a dyno machine the nearest one is in Manila far from my place. He has a desktop system he uses but most feel it is not accurate. Anyway i was wondering if you can give me a idea what my 440 is making HP AND TRQ and give me the Cubic inch it was bore 0.60 over?

Forged Crank
                    Hemi rods
                    Edelbrock RPM Manifold
                    Edelbrock 750 Carb

Again i am wanting 500+ Hp and 525+ Torque, with this setup. Do you think i got it or very close?

If i didn't get near this would getting A hydraulic cam add say 50 to 70 hp and 70 Trq lbs ?

Thank you
                    You have awesome parts, but it is all the tune. The forged crank, hemi rods and forged pistons will make the shortblock bullet proof, but really do not add to the horsepower numbers you are looking for, they just make the horsepower you want obtainable.

You basically have an edelbrock power package 2087 on that, so if you want numbers, then https://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-2087

Claims 482 horsepower with 9.2 compression, but the cam is up at .300 duration, so up with compression and down a little with cam, you are probably going to be there.

I have the 2098 power package on our .060 over 350 chevy, its supposed to get us to 410. I have never been close, cant just light up the tires any time I want either. So tuning is over parts.

Comment

Thank you, too everyone on giving me some very good info i really appreciate it. Take care all. Will be receiving the car this Monday will drive it for a day or two and give you guys feed back.

Comment

Numbers are JUST numbers. Put it together and focus on the FEEL you want. See what you end up with from your Torque Convertor as this is CRITICAL, particularly with a cam. A 400 HP car with a great setup can destroy a 500 HP car with things mismatched.
                        My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

Forged Crank
                          Hemi rods
                          Edelbrock RPM Manifold
                          Edelbrock 750 Carb

Thank you
                          Last edited by Philippines Mopar Guy; July 9, 2018, 04:49 AM.

Comment

Again, why exactly 500-525 HP and 525 torque? Racing your buddy? Anyway a hydraulic cam requires a milder profile so it makes LESS peak horsepower at a lower RPM. It also requires less maintenance.

But you are spending an impressive amount of money there. You will go very fast. You are the MAN!
                            My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

First, welcome to the madhouse, we are glad you joined BS and I love your ride !
                              I believe your big block should easily achieve 450 hp & 480 lbs-ft with that package, probably more if correctly tuned.

Comment

Working...
                              X