Help wit Hideaway Headlights on 1968 GTO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help wit Hideaway Headlights on 1968 GTO

My 1968 GTO has one headlight door that will not stay closed when engine is off (driver side) I've changed the actuator, vacuum lines, check valve and inspected the vacuum canister. what have I missed. This thing is driving me crazy!
    Long Haul Gang 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17,19
    The older I get The Faster I was!

There must be a slow leak somewhere Dave....that allows it to bleed off and iirc, spring tension opens it if there isn't enough vacuum in the actuator....I would think about putting a dab of grease on each vacuum connector to see if that helps....
    Last edited by silver_bullet; July 2, 2018, 05:25 AM.
    Patrick & Tammy
    - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Maybe put a little air pressure on it and spray with soapy water .
      Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Thanks guy I will try your suggestions and let you know the out come.

Comment

How quickly does it open after the engine is shut off ... immediately, after 5 minutes or 30-minutes or longer ?

Comment

opens immediately.............have any ideas Steve?

Comment

Did you say that you replaced the check valve?
              Patrick & Tammy
              - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

I have a check valve I changed but had to plug in backwards to keep the heater controls working in a 99.

Comment

Yes replaced the check valve

Comment

have someone who smokes cigarettes/cigars blow smoke into one of the vaccum tubes--
                    ive found MANY an undetectable leak that way after a few minutes of puffing smoke into
                    the system, it will bleed out any/all pinholes and/or leaks....

Comment

Thanks fatguyzinc good suggestion only I don't know anyone who smokes but ask around.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Dave View Post
                        opens immediately.............have any ideas Steve?
                        Being an older car, lots of people could have messed with the front end, instilling alignment problems with the hideaway headlights, especially when removing the endura nose piece and/or bumper. The headlight mechanisms, the vacuum actuators and both sets of inner and outer pivot brackets, are not attached to the core support or the fenders; they are mounted directly to the bumper.

The correct service procedure for bumper removal is to disconnect the electrical and vacuum connections, then remove the 4 bolts that attach the bumper mounting brackets to the frame horns. You also have to loosen the two clamps at the upper, outer corners of the bumper. The bumper assembly is removed from the vehicle, then the headlight assemblies and mechanisms are removed from the bumper.

Is this what you've got ?

Attached Files

Comment

Yep that's it Steve

Comment

With you saying that you've already changed the actuator, vacuum lines and check valve ... First I'd try to identify a vacuum source issue, by swapping around the lines. Then I'd start swapping components one-by-one, from side to side, until you identify the culprit assembly. Does the canister have individual nipples or is each side just connected in the vacuum line ?

Comment

Working...
                            X