No announcement yet.

Lathe hook up and operation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now that I have the parts, time to assemble - only this time, I've seen the motor run with this controller.... that means tomorrow - got started tonight but had to go off to other stuff

because this is an old motor, it does not tolerate the voltage swings of the vfd - so they added this, basically it operates as a capacitor.

the controller

there is no need for fuses, this box also has powered stop and has resistors under the case to help with heat distribution. I can also over-power the motor for up to 3 seconds from its normal 9 amps to 16 amps.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I picked up a three phase vertical mill this past weekend. I was holding out for a bridgeport, but this guy dropped his price to 950. When I got there he had a bridgeport too, it was hooked up to a converter. He said the motor starts slow all the time, but will eventually get up to speed. I hope 3 seconds is enough. This mill is a bunch bigger so even though he wanted this one, it was just too much power for his set up.
      Its a little different freewheeling a motor to getting it under load, I just hope it works this time, but all these dollars could have gone to a single phase motor.
      Last edited by anotheridiot; August 14, 2018, 05:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by anotheridiot View Post
        I picked up a three phase vertical mill this past weekend. I was holding out for a bridgeport, but this guy dropped his price to 950. When I got there he had a bridgeport too, it was hooked up to a converter. He said the motor starts slow all the time, but will eventually get up to speed. I hope 3 seconds is enough. This mill is a bunch bigger so even though he wanted this one, it was just too much power for his set up.
        Its a little different freewheeling a motor to getting it under load, I just hope it works this time, but all these dollars could have gone to a single phase motor.
        hmmm, I'm not explaining this correctly.

9 amps is more then enough to start and run the lathe, it draws like 1 1/2 or 2 amps at full speed. Overpowering - once of the tricks that HVAC guys do when an air conditioning compressor locks up (thus tripping the breaker), they put a much larger breaker in place then flip the switch. So where it had 10 amps before, it gets a 20 amp breaker. Sometimes that is all that's necessary to make it run again (10% is 10% more then if you didn't try it at all). This is the same thing, when you ramp it to 16 amps, something doesn't want to go and you're basically getting the bigger hammer.

it starts instantly, the 3 seconds is how quickly the dynamic braking will stop the spindle. In that case, it's like how jets use reverse thrust to stop the plane.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

hmmm, I'm not explaining this correctly.

9 amps is more then enough to start and run the lathe, it draws like 1 1/2 or 2 amps at full speed. Overpowering - once of the tricks that HVAC guys do when an air conditioning compressor locks up (thus tripping the breaker), they put a much larger breaker in place then flip the switch. So where it had 10 amps before, it gets a 20 amp breaker. Sometimes that is all that's necessary to make it run again (10% is 10% more then if you didn't try it at all). This is the same thing, when you ramp it to 16 amps, something doesn't want to go and you're basically getting the bigger hammer.

it starts instantly, the 3 seconds is how quickly the dynamic braking will stop the spindle. In that case, it's like how jets use reverse thrust to stop the plane.
          I am just trying to learn about it. I have a ton of 3 phase stuff that would need to be converted if I moved. The difference with your situation are these microprocessor controls. Hopefully that extra part will get it moving quicker. Like I said, old motors draw big time to get running

Comment

The rules I had to follow were fuses large enough for the max KVA of the inverter (VFD) or for a direct starter 13 times the full load amps (FLA) of the motor as listed on the data plate...
            Patrick & Tammy
            - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

I am just trying to learn about it. I have a ton of 3 phase stuff that would need to be converted if I moved. The difference with your situation are these microprocessor controls. Hopefully that extra part will get it moving quicker. Like I said, old motors draw big time to get running
              no worries, so am I.

Should have tested the motor first - but took a shortcut. That said, it all worked out really, really well in the end because the same guy who tested the motor - we worked out a trade of services so the new-to-me box cost nothing. Not just that but with the well-controller situation, he can even make a few bucks fixing that....

but again, I'm learning as I go and the input helps me more clearly write what's going on.

Comment

time to put it all back together

closer, still need to wire the control panel on the front of the machine

Comment

this happened

it works. it's also amazingly quiet - especially compared to my last Grizzly machine. Now to learn to use it I think the first thing I'm going to do is machine a new screw for my brake. That's a good learn - re-sizing bar stock then cutting threads. or maybe I can do the bushings for my trailer ..... the world is my machining oyster.
                  Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; August 15, 2018, 09:25 PM.

Comment

I think it's a conspiracy, just out of shot you've got Buck walking on a treadmill.
                    That's why there is no sound, we would hear him panting.
                    You can't fool us SBG.
                    Tim
                    Melbourne Australia

65 Hardtop Impala, 70 GTS Monaro, 93 "80" Landcruiser

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                      this happened

it works. it's also amazingly quiet - especially compared to my last Grizzly machine. Now to learn to use it I think the first thing I'm going to do is machine a new screw for my brake. That's a good learn - re-sizing bar stock then cutting threads. or maybe I can do the bushings for my trailer ..... the world is my machining oyster.
                      I would pick the bushings first. Got a bunch of 4130 tube and plate to make four link bars we are trying to build for the 67 camaro so we can finally get the rear end centered. I learned its great material to weld and extremely strong, but uh uh as far as turning it down. Just wanted to make some simple spacers for the headers that loosened once again to use longer bolts you can actually reach to tighten since they wanted 12.00 each at McMaster.

Going straight to threads is a little too cocky.lol.

Comment

Originally posted by 65RHDEER View Post
                        I think it's a conspiracy, just out of shot you've got Buck walking on a treadmill.
                        That's why there is no sound, we would hear him panting.
                        You can't fool us SBG.
                        the funniest part of that statement is that we have a doggie treadmill for our bloodhounds (a tired dog is a good dog)

Comment

sometimes the best thing is to rip the bandaid off with the words "how bad could it be?" Key words from back in the thread, though, "friend who is a machinist"....

Comment

While his lathe might be a little older than I am - when I was in trade school it didn't seem all that hard to do threads! On the machines we used we could do conventional and acme style threads fairly easily by just choosing the correct feed rate and appropriately shaped tool bit. But hey, don't get me wrong being able to build bushings, spacers and all the other things a lathe lets you do would be a huge win in my world

Comment

Originally posted by cstmwgn View Post
                              While his lathe might be a little older than I am - when I was in trade school it didn't seem all that hard to do threads! On the machines we used we could do conventional and acme style threads fairly easily by just choosing the correct feed rate and appropriately shaped tool bit. But hey, don't get me wrong being able to build bushings, spacers and all the other things a lathe lets you do would be a huge win in my world
                              my recollection is more of nibbling away and checking and rechecking after each cut with a gauge. Maybe it was the machine shop I was in back in school. I worked with a guy to set up and horizontal mill our aluminum to make our nutcracker arbor press, he cut his first and got an A, I cut mine second and got a B since the machine was already set up. Never really had a good enough tool to cut so deep so fast, but I will be kicking myself for not buying the big 10 inch lathe with all the speed and feed controls.

Comment

next up for me is a carbide grinder.... with the VFD, reversing should be a snap.

Comment

Working...
                                X