Lathe hook up and operation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lathe hook up and operation

Nothing here I've 'created' but rather as I've been learning this stuff, I've found it helpful.
    But first... the lathe
    is Italian Padova made in 1960. It is a 14x36. It has metric, SAE, and Wilsomethingoranother thread pitches (leave it to machinists to come up with an extra thread) 3 phase, yes, it has liquid cooling and came with a taper attachment (which I have zero clue how to use but is going to be one of the first things I learn to do)

I suddenly love the Italians.... they put holes through the machine so that you can lift it with a bar.... talk about simple unloading

I only have single phase. 'recentishly' people have stared using VFD controllers to create the 3rd leg in single phase applications. The benefit is you get variable drive for your lathe the other benefit is you don't have to buy and fit a single phase motor
    Here's a very good primer on this

And This Old Tony is probably the most enjoyable way of learning lathe on YouTube
    Share your videos with friends, family, and the world

For the old timers - this is my second lathe.... the prior was nice, but this is several orders nicer (and not Chinese)
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

the controller he's using

$235.00.... not bad, a phase controller costs as much if not a lot more.

Comment

does he mention getting a VFD that's rated for about twice the HP of your motor?

Looks like fun. That's a good sized lathe....although probably not big enough to play with wheels, or driveshafts

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
        does he mention getting a VFD that's rated for about twice the HP of your motor?

Looks like fun. That's a good sized lathe....although probably not big enough to play with wheels, or driveshafts

I think for the $400 I spent for it, it'll be fine

he doesn't talk sizing at all in either of the two videos I've watched....

Comment

I got a 2hp unit for my 1hp mill...something about how the ratings on chinese electronics are kind of on the edge. Might want to search to see what guys are doing. It's been a few years since I messed with it, but that seemed to be the consensus.

Good deal on the lathe.
          Last edited by squirrel; June 10, 2018, 10:40 PM.
          My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Nice piece. I just got a little South bend 6" lathe for 800, Mainly because I got a few thousand in tools. I had a shot at a really nice big one like this for 1200, but I thought I would spend a month in the hospital getting it out of the guys basement. Yes, ended up changing the motor and drum switch on top of it. First thing I made on it was an adapter to get my AHP welder a liquid cooled torch. Next thing was making dies for my bead roller and guess what, I should have bought the big one.

Great buy.
            Last edited by anotheridiot; June 11, 2018, 06:17 AM.

Comment

Yeah when you go to be cutting on 3" and larger steel, that extra power is really nice.

That taper attachment if like mine just controls cross-slide movement with it's own rail, you gotta use the cross-slide handwheel to stay within lash (out of influence) and not jamb things up, gets easier with practice. My machine that has one has extra lash there presumably for the purpose, which is a minor annoyance otherwise. Am pretty happy w/ a rotary phase converter http://www.phaseconverter.com/ ,you can also build one with an old 3 phase motor of 1 1/2 times hp you need (common industrial junk), using an additional single-phase 1/4 hp motor to get the main one spinning first...I once borrowed such a contraption and it worked fine. With five or six 3 phase motors in the "shop", I've would up with a whole second electrical system, coming out of that converter mounted near the main panel and with it's own panel also. Once you have that power it really opens up the possibilities acquiring used industrial machines at a good price but of-course in your case the converter will be more expensive than the machine. Solid-state units such as you are looking at which may be the best choice for a single machine and mount on or near it, I know nothing about, but I wouldn't think you'd need the speed control. For sure, single-phase power is for lights and toasters, electric motors have always been best run on 3 phase...converting up from one to the other is actually kind-of an ugly thing to have to do, but if you're going to run machines at home so it goes.
              Last edited by Loren; June 11, 2018, 06:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by anotheridiot View Post
                Nice piece. I just got a little South bend 6" lathe for 800, Mainly because I got a few thousand in tools. I had a shot at a really nice big one like this for 1200, but I thought I would spend a month in the hospital getting it out of the guys basement. Yes, ended up changing the motor and drum switch on top of it. First thing I made on it was an adapter to get my AHP welder a liquid cooled torch. Next thing was making dies for my bead roller and guess what, I should have bought the big one.

Great buy.
                the guy I bought this from did all the wrong things in listing it for sale. I like him and would have helped him except he HAD to get the machine out or would lose it; so I got a great deal and he got $400 more then what he would have received. When selling a lathe - tell the world what you're selling don't say "for sale, 8' lathe, $1250".... then attach one blurry picture of just the head unit. Further, when you're selling it, you need to have the unit under power - this guy knew a lot about lathes, but even he hadn't seen it run so I gave him about $350 more then scrap mostly because he knew what he was doing.... that said, though unlikely, I may have bought junk.

life is interesting, about a month ago, I was headed 1 1/2 hours south to buy a south bend lathe for $600; jackass who was selling it called me about 15 minutes from his house and told me it was sold. He didn't mention that he had anyone coming and told me that he had to go to church - otherwise I would have met him earlier..... ah well, I ended up with something far better.

Comment

Originally posted by Loren View Post
                  Yeah when you go to be cutting on 3" and larger steel, that extra power is really nice.

That taper attachment if like mine just controls cross-slide movement with it's own rail, you gotta use the cross-slide handwheel to stay within lash (out of influence) and not jamb things up, gets easier with practice. My machine that has one has extra lash there presumably for the purpose, which is a minor annoyance otherwise. Am pretty happy w/ a rotary phase converter http://www.phaseconverter.com/ ,you can also build one with an old 3 phase motor of 1 1/2 times hp you need (common industrial junk), using an additional single-phase 1/4 hp motor to get the main one spinning first...I once borrowed such a contraption and it worked fine. With five or six 3 phase motors in the "shop", I've would up with a whole second electrical system, coming out of that converter mounted near the main panel and with it's own panel also. Once you have that power it really opens up the possibilities acquiring used industrial machines at a good price but of-course in your case the converter will be more expensive than the machine. Solid-state units such as you are looking at which may be the best choice for a single machine and mount on or near it, I know nothing about, but I wouldn't think you'd need the speed control. For sure, single-phase power is for lights and toasters, electric motors have always been best run on 3 phase...converting up from one to the other is actually kind-of an ugly thing to have to do, but if you're going to run machines at home so it goes.
                  I've nothing to lose trying the VFD and they aren't expensive, the US made one I posted above is $225.00.
                  I do have another 3 phase motor from my press brake, so that possibility is there too (the build a converter)

it's not just spindle speed control - the newest controllers have powered, emergency stop along with the ability to flip a switch to reverse for threading operations....

Comment

Machinery/machinist-item sellers seem to either know exactly what they have and want 2x price for it or are clueless (and can't write a good ad either) and you can wind up scoring for price.

Comment

Originally posted by Loren View Post
                      Machinery/machinist-item sellers seem to either know exactly what they have and want 2x price for it or are clueless (and can't write a good ad either) and you can wind up scoring for price.
                      there are certainly all types, but the older I get the more I'm likely to look at something from a pro that's 2x the price then anything else because - at least for me - it seems to save me money in the long run.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

the guy I bought this from did all the wrong things in listing it for sale. I like him and would have helped him except he HAD to get the machine out or would lose it; so I got a great deal and he got $400 more then what he would have received. When selling a lathe - tell the world what you're selling don't say "for sale, 8' lathe, $1250".... then attach one blurry picture of just the head unit. Further, when you're selling it, you need to have the unit under power - this guy knew a lot about lathes, but even he hadn't seen it run so I gave him about $350 more then scrap mostly because he knew what he was doing.... that said, though unlikely, I may have bought junk.

life is interesting, about a month ago, I was headed 1 1/2 hours south to buy a south bend lathe for $600; jackass who was selling it called me about 15 minutes from his house and told me it was sold. He didn't mention that he had anyone coming and told me that he had to go to church - otherwise I would have met him earlier..... ah well, I ended up with something far better.
                        I have been doing the same thing with trailers. Found one sunday before memorial day, 8x20 enclosed, 1500. Called him at 2 sunday, asked him if he wanted me go go out right then and he says, no, I have been here all day, can we make it tomorrow. Drove out there at 9am memorial day, no trailer, no answer phone call, no deal. Found 2 over the weekend, one lady said a guy was driving from south bend (tie in) at 5:30 on a friday. Sorry man, if you are going to brave rush hour traffic on a friday from south bend, you are buying a trailer. A guy just relisted one saturday after he went to see it, took more pictures to show how bad it really was and dropped the price from 2500 to 2200, said he would rather set up a time on sunday. Sorry, no, I cant lose another one. How soon can we meet? Telling you, I bet its more profitable to flip enclosed trailers than flipping cars. Spray paint, a few lights, some plywood and sealant and probably make 2 grand, if you can actually get one.

I was trying to find a milling machine to partner with the lathe but had no way to get it back. Now I dont have the money or probably still dont have a way to get it back lol.
                        Last edited by anotheridiot; June 11, 2018, 10:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by anotheridiot View Post

I have been doing the same thing with trailers. Found one sunday before memorial day, 8x20 enclosed, 1500. Called him at 2 sunday, asked him if he wanted me go go out right then and he says, no, I have been here all day, can we make it tomorrow. Drove out there at 9am memorial day, no trailer, no answer phone call, no deal. Found 2 over the weekend, one lady said a guy was driving from south bend (tie in) at 5:30 on a friday. Sorry man, if you are going to brave rush hour traffic on a friday from south bend, you are buying a trailer. A guy just relisted one saturday after he went to see it, took more pictures to show how bad it really was and dropped the price from 2500 to 2200, said he would rather set up a time on sunday. Sorry, no, I cant lose another one. How soon can we meet? Telling you, I bet its more profitable to flip enclosed trailers than flipping cars. Spray paint, a few lights, some plywood and sealant and probably make 2 grand, if you can actually get one.

I was trying to find a milling machine to partner with the lathe but had no way to get it back. Now I dont have the money or probably still dont have a way to get it back lol.
                          trailer pricing here - they think they're plated in gold. Someone just put one up for $2500 that needed work, you can buy them brand-spanking-new for $1900.

Comment

there are certainly all types,
                            What I mean is, for example...maybe a year ago I was looking for a tool post for my (coincidentally) lathe, I am not (or was not) very experienced with lathe stuff and couldn't find anything except a very knowledgeable guy with what he called a KDK unit with which I was previously unfamiliar, for $200. Top quality he said, and was right, and wouldn't take a dollar less. Fair enough I suppose, in looking around I saw the new Chinese equivalent was a bit less but, you-know. Then I remembered I had bought a box of machine crap out of somebody's barn along with an actual machine (which was 2K) from a guy maybe fifteen years back where he didn't know what the stuff was and to some degree I didn't know either, and the "KDK" rang a bell...there in the box once I'd dug it out, two of them. So I probably paid $5 each, and top-quality. Key to the deal was the seller at-least not being an expert.
                            Anyhow, really-awful CL ads can sometimes mean the seller neither knows nor cares about what they're trying to get rid of and you may find some gems there, along with the usual chance of horrifically wasting your time.

Comment

trailer pricing here - they think they're plated in gold. Someone just put one up for $2500 that needed work, you can buy them brand-spanking-new for $1900.
                              Or the little Home Depot folding ones "slightly used" for 2-4 times new!

Comment

Working...
                              X