No announcement yet.

Royal Purple HPS motor oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't use synthetic in any of my cars / truck. The 2010 Tundra gets 5W20 Chevron and is changed every 5000 miles. The other stuff: 1970 Dodge w/383, 1970 Camaro & 1968 GTO get straight 30wt Valvoline, The "Beast" w/ 496 ci get Valvoline Racing oil 40 wt. These all get change once a year due to they are on driven in the spring and summer months. I personally believe that synthetic are over priced and over rated...........but I'm old school.
    Long Haul Gang 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17,19
    The older I get The Faster I was!

Comment

Originally posted by Big Dave View Post
      I don't use synthetic in any of my cars / truck. The 2010 Tundra gets 5W20 Chevron and is changed every 5000 miles. The other stuff: 1970 Dodge w/383, 1970 Camaro & 1968 GTO get straight 30wt Valvoline, The "Beast" w/ 496 ci get Valvoline Racing oil 40 wt. These all get change once a year due to they are on driven in the spring and summer months. I personally believe that synthetic are over priced and over rated...........but I'm old school.
      I was of the same opinion Dave. I used to run Valvoline VR1 20w50 but got tired of carrying all the stuff to do oil changes in the middle of road trips. With the HPS I am doing yearly changes which is somewhere between 10K and 12K. This comes out to around 3 to 4 changes of conventional oil. The Valvoline VR1 stuff isn't all that cheap and clearly not 3 times cheaper than the HPS when I buy it in 5 gallon pals. No clue on the wear benefit and I don't have high oil temp issues so I may not be getting full value of the synthetic.

Time will tell but so far the engine seems to be doing good.

Comment

The 2004 trailblazer won't keep oil in it . No cloud behind it but at over 200,000 it does use some . So , it gets conventional valvoline 5w30 . The 92 vet get mobil one and b.v it goes to 5000 . The 85 vette the boy has didn't get checked so he ran it out of oil . We'll be changing the engine this year . She's making a lot of noise .
        Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Out of oil.............I heard that bad things can happen when an engine runs out. I'll make a note of that now.........lol

Comment

Has there been any independent testing of oils to show, if any, benefits of synthetic over conventional oil and how long between changes?

Comment

"Even more amazing, Royal Purple HPS™ synthetic performance upgrade street oils allow up to 15,000 miles in between motor oil changes."

The owner's manual for my 3/4 ton 2005 Dodge diesel PU recommends oil/filter change intervals of 7500 if towing or 15,000 if not towing. I didn't follow those recommendations. I'm a big believer in changing your oil more often during the break-in process. I changed by oil/filters yesterday at 140,001 miles and looked at my oil change history. I had changed my oil/filter 7 times by the time I reached 30K miles, the first change was at 2400 miles. At 30k I figured the rings had seated because the highway mpg had leveled off at 20 mpg (unloaded) so I switched to 15W-40 Amsoil synthetic diesel oil. After that I started changing the oil/filter every 10K and at 90K I added an Amsoil bypass filter and a Filtermag. I check the oil level every few weeks but so far it hasn't used enough oil between changes to show on the dipstick. I read on some diesel forum that the Cummins engine has an oil pressure sensor that will shut down the engine if it loses oil pressure, I hope it does.

Comment

All of my junk is so under powered that I get away with Valvoline 10W40 with K&N filters, changed every 3,000 miles. I really think if I switched over to synthetic most of it would leak out on the ground.........
                Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

I tend to follow the instructions on the owner's manual for all my vehicles.
                  In my 1993 Impala that means doing an oil change every 5000 miles, while with my Peugeot 3008 that means every 10000 miles...
                  That should be your golden standard.
                  Of course then there's some variability depending on your circumstances...
                  This guide sums it up quite nicely.

Generally speaking,
                  - if your vehicle is new, or
                  - if your driving mainly consists of sessions of 20 minutes or more at fairly steady speeds (as opposed to stop-and-go traffic)
                  then you can probably increase a bit the mileage between oil changes without consequences.

Instead,
                  - if your vehicle has more than a couple of years, or
                  - if your driving mostly consists of shorter than 20 minutes sessions or of stop-and-go traffic, or
                  - if you frequently drive off-road or in particularly dusty/sandy environments
                  then you should definitely consider decreasing the time between oil changes, and perform more frequent maintenance (e.g., every 3000 or even 1000 miles).

Comment

Working...
                  X