Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How often do you repack your front wheel bearings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How often do you repack your front wheel bearings?

Inquiring minds want to know

rwd, if we feel play at tire rotations, otherwise, every brake job.... all the rest of our vehicles have sealed bearing front hubs... no way to repack....
    Last edited by silver_bullet; March 10, 2018, 04:54 PM.
    Patrick & Tammy
    - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Gee that reminds me.
      Pt 2010, Long Haul 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18, 19, 23
      If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

Comment

Every brake job or every time the rotors are rotated due to warpage.
        Yes rotated rotors, I have three sets for my truck and when one gets warped I turn a spare set & replace. And yes, I have bearings for each set of rotors.
        http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...n-block-wanted

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...-Blue-Turd(le)

Comment

Every brake job for sure. Sometimes wonder if I should do it more frequently.
          Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

I usually look at mine right before drag week. Only because I have wilwood "race only" front brakes and aluminum hubs. Its a good reason to inspect all of it.
            1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 with a 360
            1997 Jeep Cherokee off road toy/driver. lifted, lockers, stroked 4.0

Comment

That reminds me... have to check the bearing buddies on the car trailer....
              Patrick & Tammy
              - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

I remember Dad re-packing the old ball bearings on his Impala every year, still had a failure once that got Mom stuck halfway home from work when the dang wheel about fell off. With rollers I just do it along with brake pads, never had one fail except if somehow water gets in then they're allowed to sit and get rusty spots. If used again they get pitted.

It's time to do the fronts on the Jeep, newer (to me anyhow) unit-style/replace only. They're gettin' a little loose and we do NOT want mama stuck. $140 a pair from Rock Auto, we'll see how much more NAPA wants today. I see for one of my project trucks, '96 Dodge front Dana 60, it's about $250/pr. Sometimes I like the old style better. replacement would be a fraction of that! In fairness, both vehicles have a lot of miles on them.

Comment

Originally posted by 68scott385 View Post
                  Every brake job or every time the rotors are rotated due to warpage.
                  Yes rotated rotors, I have three sets for my truck and when one gets warped I turn a spare set & replace. And yes, I have bearings for each set of rotors.
                  Just went through the warped rotor issue with the '55.....makes the front end do some crazy stuff

Back in the day we'd repack every brake change........but would check 'em every oil change
                  Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Working...
                  X