E85 carb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E85 carb

Lookin for someone who can rebuild an E85 q jet. Anyone have any leads?
    ive got a carb that’s missing a couple small pieces but it’s assembled.

Thumpin did mine...worst he can do is say "too busy"

Comment

How does yours run? Just curious what your running it in? Mileage? Application, etc. I’ll be sure to ask him

Comment

Originally posted by pontiacpower View Post
        How does yours run? Just curious what your running it in? Mileage? Application, etc. I’ll be sure to ask him
        350 small block with Dart heads makes up near 500 hp in a derby car. 13-1/14-1 cr. Either fast idle or throttle up-off fast. Runs in a drby car..

Comment

Damn that’s a lot of power for an sbc. Did you notice a huge difference in fuel consumption over gas? I’ll pm Thumpin455 and see if he has time to build a carb. I’ll see if I can do him a favor or something

Comment

Yes. More volume. Opened it up inside.
            E-85 cools the pistons.

Motor is a former circle track motor that dyno'd at 750 hp..
            Different cam, intake, carb and ignition..
            Still screams.

Comment

copy that. but what made you lose power with the e85 conversion? i made the choice using e85 because i could run more compression and therefore more power.

Comment

Did not lose power with E-85 conversion..
                Wanted the cooling more volume gave..
                Often run screaming 20-40 minutes with no water..
                Power difference was from cam and intake.. We need to idle some too..

Comment

Bob runs a Holley 2 barrel. I missed something on his, need to open up the power valve restriction on the metering block a bit more. For what he is doing though, it should work ok. The only people converting Qjets are myself and a friend of mine in South Carolina. A Holley is so much easier to convert, but the Qjet works. It only takes more work on a Qjet because its more complex and tunable. Its warming up here, could fit one in if you're ready for it with your build.

Comment

I would gladly send it to you. I want to get this thing going. Rebuilding a qjet for the first time is as enough. With E85 conversion I couldn’t even imagine. I’m spending enough time just getting the crank in and now I gotta do ring gap on the pistons. A lot for a virgin engine builder to mess up if you know what I mean

Comment

... gotta do ring gap on the pistons...
                      Baby steps on ring gap filing!
                      It seems like it takes forever to get close and no time at all to be too big!
                      I finally broke down and bought a manual ring gap filing tool which helps a great deal to keep the gaps square to each other.

Comment

thats another topic id like to discuss. i asked my gearhead buddy if he had one of them ring filers that sit on the bench and hold the ring while you turn the crank and file the ends. he told me that the rings should be ready to go out of the box. i would have felt stupid but i saw people filing rings in a few other videos.

Comment

It depends on the rings you buy. Typically, high performance engine builders use what is called "file fit" ring sets which are a little larger than a "rebuilder" style ring. That allows you to create the gap you want for your engine build / usage. Old schooler's put a fine file in the vise and then slide the ring down the file in one direction only as if you pull the ring in the other direction it can chip the moly face of the top ring. It is hard to keep the ring ends square using the old file method but with practice it can do just as good of job as the bench style tool.
                          Last edited by cstmwgn; March 1, 2018, 06:48 PM.

Comment

thats another topic id like to discuss. i asked my gearhead buddy if he had one of them ring filers that sit on the bench and hold the ring while you turn the crank and file the ends. he told me that the rings should be ready to go out of the box. i would have felt stupid but i saw people filing rings in a few other videos.
                            You were correct to ask...new rings must be squared up in the cylinder receiving them an checked/ filed for proper gap...otherwise there wouldn't be a specification...
                            Patrick & Tammy
                            - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Talked to the machinist and he said to figure out what I need for gap according to the ring manual. Put them halfway down the hole and measure with a feeler gauge. File them until I get the right reading halfway down the bore and I’m good to go. Any nay sayers?

Comment

Working...
                              X