Currently it's a 2001 Suburban

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Currently it's a 2001 Suburban

We picked up a Suburban back over the summer. One day in the rain my wife found out the ABS does not work. While I was under the SUV changing the oil I noticed the plug was out of the ABS module. I pluged it back up and it started to run and smoke came out of it, so I unpluged it. I am thinking about getting one from the Junk Yard. Seems like the new ones are sold it two parts, from the JY I assume they both will be sold as one unit? Any special requirements when beading the brakes?

Once I get the brakes figured out I need to deside it I am going to fix the oil leaks.
    Last edited by Russell; September 24, 2018, 07:49 PM.
    http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
    1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
    ​​​​​​

the 2002 is easy.
    96-99.. I dread the day ABS fails.
    Can't even get a straight answer on the abs unit.

just bleed as if it is not there. I like to pump out all the dirty stuff with a helper at the pedal.

the only way those go real bad is old fluid that went to carbon. sometimes they bridge electrics.
    takes a very long time to get to that point.
    on active EGR trucks..that happens sooner. Yet another indirect mystery.

I'd be fixing any truck if it runs good. could rebuild an old one 4 times to the cost of new...
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Bleed all the smoke out of the wires first then plug them back up . Should be fine .

Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

We have found that it is much easier to grab the ABS unit out of similar year S-10 s.... due to their mounting location, they are always in better condition, and we have interchanged them on the Silverado and the Avalanche with no ill effects.... I'm guessing that yours was unplugged and eventually locked up.....as for "trick" to bleeding the system...Gravity bleed the brakes for a minimum of 12 hours into partially filled (with brake fluid) mason jars to prevent air from entering the system.... we also managed to convince the guy at the pull a part that the ABS was a proportioning valve....
        Patrick & Tammy
        - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Looking at Rock auto they show 2 one for with traction control one with out. You think it really matters?

do you gravity bleed all 4 at the same time? Does the vehicle need to be off, key on, running, or doesn't matter?

PB 60' 1.49
          ​​​​​​

Comment

not sure...
            we gravity bled all four overnight.... vehicle off....
            Patrick & Tammy

Comment

I was just informed that there is a difference in those with traction control....
              Patrick & Tammy

Comment

Does the gravity bleed get all the air out or do you still pedal pump it?

PB 60' 1.49
                ​​​​​​

Comment

Its more than pumping, I thought you needed a modis or something to trigger the antilock as you are putting pressure on the pedal.

Comment

Once the system was gravity bled, we did the traditional bleed down (pump, hold, bleed, repeat) and had very good results.....
                    Patrick & Tammy

Comment

Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post
                      Once the system was gravity bled, we did the traditional bleed down (pump, hold, bleed, repeat) and had very good results.....
                      Sorry for so many questions on something that should be simple, thank you for all the answers. Hopefully this is the last.

do you leave it off for the traditional above?

PB 60' 1.49
                      ​​​​​​

Comment

If you are asking do we leave the vehicle turned off during the bleeding process, yes, we leave it off....
                        Patrick & Tammy

Comment

Just throwing this out there on a more serious note . The 76 vette my daughter had had 3 bleeder screws on at least the back calipers if not the fronts also . these things I bled every way I could think of except vac bleeder . I gravity bled first , pump- hold- bleed with engine off , then did it again with it on . The last just for good measure as the worst that can happen is you use a little more brake fluid which you shouldn't store after opening anyway .
                          Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Saturday I went to the junk yard, I got a much later start than I wanted and the guy at LKQ said they were "closing early today" I looked at two of the suburbans both were 4wd and didn't have traction control buttons, being stressed for time I just pulled one.

put it one Sunday went pretty good until I got to the last bleeder. It was frozen. Ended up replacing the caliper. I think the abs is now working. The traction off button is lit and pushing the button does nothing.

PB 60' 1.49
                            ​​​​​​

Comment

no matter how you spell it, progress is a good thing!
                              Patrick & Tammy

Comment

Working...
                              X