Aluminum Block Deck Fix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aluminum Block Deck Fix

I made a mistake at the start of the Subaru head gasket repair and had Bro. Dave drawfile the block deck. My ancient knowledge was that this was a good way to flatten castings and it works great - on cast iron. I gouges aluminum all to pieces and leaves a bad finish for MLS gaskets. Shy of taking it to a machine shop I was kind of stuck when my buddy Dave Rackley who owns the repair shop just down the street from me, gave me the right answer - sandpaper!

So I made a dead flat sanding block using my jointer (woodworking machines can come in handy in a car shop), got out a roll of 180 grit adhesive sandpaper that I had and, with the addition of elbow grease, we got a beautiful finish. In the future I'd use hardwood (probably oak) w/o knots as I had to reface the block once but this was a great solution.

Pics:

The deck after drawfiling: (Pretty ugly)

Click image for larger version  Name:	Drawfile.jpg Views:	1 Size:	191.0 KB ID:	1182510

The homebrew sanding block, made to fit the paper and a couple of inches longer than the deck surface so it was easy to keep it flat on the deck. A block for, say, a V8, would likely need to be maybe 20" or so.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Sanding Block.jpg Views:	1 Size:	235.8 KB ID:	1182511

And the result (TA-DA!). I'm really pleased with this finish which is every bit as nice as the heads which are fresh from the machine shop.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Finished Head.jpg Views:	1 Size:	210.8 KB ID:	1182512

Lessons learned:

Keep steel away from aluminum heads and blocks. Use gasket remover and a plastic or wooden scraper. I'll be installing a new head on the replacement LS that should be on it's way and I'll follow my own advice. If you need to flatten a surface, the method we used here seems excellent and I won't hesitate to use it again if needed.

Now we're waiting for the rest of our Time-Serts so we can get Dave back on the road. They were supposed to be here yesterday but didn't make it - I'm guessing tomorrow.

Dan
    Last edited by DanStokes; December 10, 2017, 02:46 PM.

Nice save. Be careful, sandpaper with a wood backing may mush around the features slightly and affect local flatness, but you'd have to be on it pretty hard to do that. Aluminum does gall...sawblade wax, Boe-Lube, even WD-40 saturating the cutting tool (in this case, the file) is a must. Even sandpaper will work better on aluminum with a little of one of the above on it. You used to be able to buy this greasy waxy material in a cardboard roll similar to breakfast rolls but you were to apply the end of it to the cutting tool or media directly rather than unroll it. Worked like magic on aluminum, and no longer available although you can still get waxy cutting aids similarly packaged which are better than nothing but not much. I cannot think of the name of the chemical that was probably an ingredient in the old stuff to make it work so well and also be a problem, maybe it will come to me later.

Comment

180 grit?? I would of thought something 400+. As long as it works!
      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Loren: Are you thinking of something like this?

Originally posted by Loren View Post
        Nice save. Be careful, sandpaper with a wood backing may mush around the features slightly and affect local flatness, but you'd have to be on it pretty hard to do that. Aluminum does gall...sawblade wax, Boe-Lube, even WD-40 saturating the cutting tool (in this case, the file) is a must. Even sandpaper will work better on aluminum with a little of one of the above on it. You used to be able to buy this greasy waxy material in a cardboard roll similar to breakfast rolls but you were to apply the end of it to the cutting tool or media directly rather than unroll it. Worked like magic on aluminum, and no longer available although you can still get waxy cutting aids similarly packaged which are better than nothing but not much. I cannot think of the name of the chemical that was probably an ingredient in the old stuff to make it work so well and also be a problem, maybe it will come to me later.

Comment

I'm really concerned that my 427 block had too much Ra and the MLS gaskets will struggle (or simply not) seal. I suppose the downside is simply I have to use composite gaskets but it would roundly suck to put it all together then have it leak.
          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

interesting sanding block, Dan.

Another way for a woodworker to make a sanding block for that purpose, is to get a long plane, take the blade out of it, and put a piece of sticky longboard sanding paper on the plane. then you have a nice flat solid sanding block, with handles.

tip from my local machinist
            My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by Loren View Post
              how you doing with the fires?
              Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Pane of glass is pretty flat... Just do not get too agressive and break it..

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                  interesting sanding block, Dan.

Another way for a woodworker to make a sanding block for that purpose, is to get a long plane, take the blade out of it, and put a piece of sticky longboard sanding paper on the plane. then you have a nice flat solid sanding block, with handles.

tip from my local machinist
                  That is very clever. Thanks for sharing that. I have used a 5/8 glass table top for heads, but it's 100+ pounds and not convenient for a block.
                  Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

The plane thing would work great but I don't have a long one - I always take the machine route when possible! The 180 worked great and the surface, as you can see, is excellent. When it got the slightest bit grubby we blew it off with the air hose and changed the paper if it showed ANY sign of loading. I think that's how we got such a nice finish. We also used a light pressure thruout the process and I think that was a part of the magic, too.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by Tubbed Pacecar View Post
                      Loren: Are you thinking of something like this?

Yep, like that. Being in the cardboard tube, just apply the end of it to your saw blade, sandpaper or sanding belt etc., really helps the galling. Only, the new compositions don't work as well as the old ones did.

Sticky long board strips on wood is a good way to cut. I do bodywork with #40, 80 & 120 on quarter-inch masonite for nice surfaces, it flexes just enough to follow panels, any backing block made of rubber just follows the waves instead of cutting them flat. Cutting the masonite strips narrower than the sandpaper so the edges car fold up so you can hang onto them with your fingers saves having to deal with adhesive, or you could just throw out the masonite when it gets messed up from stuck paper, it's not like it's that expensive. Of-course your fingertips tend to get worn through but grow back fast.

Another really-flat backing material that does not flex would be 3/8" aluminum "tooling plate" from the metal supply. Stuff is made flat in the first place then they machine it flatter and saw-cut to size instead of shearing.

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

how you doing with the fires?
                      Happily, not affected. Worried though, I have got a whole lot of dead/near-dead euc. trees around here, I'm in deep if I don't get those cut down before the next one comes through this way, a huge huge job I don't really feel like doing otherwise. An advantage; we're in a valley not on a hillside or ravine although there is a very large lot full of dead grass just across the road, owners are not required to keep it mowed due to some sort flood-plain/riverbed law. That will really help light this place up if it ever got going.

My nephew is resource manager on the Creek Fire but I haven't been in touch with him. That fire (N. of L.A.) has burned through a place we use to stay during the week when we worked up there but "lived" down here. I kinda dread the next time I go by to see what happened.
                      ----------------back to subject...

Comment

The project continues. As of this evening, here's a pic of the engine. Gettin' close.......

Click image for larger version

Name:	Both Heads.jpg
Views:	1153
Size:	766.7 KB
ID:	1182663
                        Tomorrow we'll get the timing belt reinstalled, set the valve lash & reinstall the valve covers, and maybe slide the engine back in it's hole.

Dan

Comment

Like w/ Barry I just think those motors are the bitchinst-looking sh*t. Not for me but I can appreciate them. Nice pic!

Comment

They never heard the acronym KISS did they?
                            My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I can't help but think that this is what Dr. Porsche would have designed for the Beetle if he'd done it in modern times. The engine is really a joy to work on and is logical and really pretty simple for a 2 cam 4 valve/cylinder engine.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                              X