Waste oil stoves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waste oil stoves

this is going to be my next waste oil stove.... feel free to add the ones you like.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

No flue?

Comment

I'm wondering about a flue as well .
      Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

It'll work. Insurance won't like it, but I doubt they like your shop anyways. They seem to have a bur-sideways about spaces that are productive.

A friend of mine has one of these. Remember Smudge-Pots? As a kid they were used a lot to warn traffic about hazards on the roadways. Now its all blinky-lights.

This is an Orchard Heater. Works on the same principle as a smudge pot, only bigger. Works great to warm up an un-insulated steel pole barn.

He has built a Brake Drum waste-oil furnace/heater as well. Also very effective.

Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Loved the smudgepot in the basement untill...it ran low and smoked!

Comment

A neighbor had a New Year's party, many of us warmed around a lit old-style (now illegal) smudgepot in the middle of his new concrete driveway outside his backyard car-barn/saloon. Drinking. The smudgepot had been sitting outside over time and apparently collected rainwater which being heavier than the fuel sunk to the bottom of the fuel supply and sat there. About 11pm the whole device had warmed to where the water was sufficiently heated to suddenly take a rapid boil, this pushed the hot fuel above (diesel? Oil? I don't know what all was in there) out the top and over the sides to run down the new drive and into a ditch, burning. All present had to step back to not be suddenly standing in fiery oil. At this point his wife comes home from some new year's church function, with the driveway on fire. She went straight into the house, hubby hot on her heels behind her, presumably explanation to the wife taking priority over physical damage control. The fire shortly burned out due more to cooling against the ground than any efforts of ours, by the time extinguishers were located it wasn't worth using them . He came back out a short while later muttering about how she just called us "all a bunch of drunks". Happy 2014, I think that was the year, the party went on for hours later and I don't know how he got that driveway cleaned.

Comment

well, you have to admit she was right - or as my wife says of me "it isn't a party until the fire department is called"

Comment

Plastic fuel line to a plastic bucket sitting unsecured on top of a plastic milk crate. Does anyone else see a fire hazzard there?

Comment

it's a long way from a heat source.... I like several things about that but what really got its mention was that manifold.

Comment

I have run a clean burn brand waste oil furnace in the old shop for years. I have a bit over a grand in to it all total, it's a 1986 and runs like a top with some attention - it's 185,000 btu output.
                    t's a great way to heat an inefficient space if you don't mind spending time collecting used oil moving used oil, etc.
                    forget about it being a clean enough space to paint a car in, at least not when the blower is running - it has a horrible way of stirring up every dust particle in the space.

I will not be moving the waste oil furnace to the new shop - it already has natural gas so I'm going to go with that - and save the space, mess, and hassle of dealing with the waste oil.

IMHO the best place to start with waste oil is an older still operational fuel oil furnace, then you can always go back to fuel oil if you run low on waste oil, or tire of the hassle. Essentially, the waste oil specific furnaces are converted fuel oil furnaces with a pre-heater to bring up the temperature of the heating fluid, and compressed air to help vaporize it.
                    There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Working...
                    X