Porting too far

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Porting too far

I got some trick flow gen1 heads off ebay. They had some porting done. Has anyone ported so far where the head bolt was exposed in the exhaust runner? I got a pretty good deal on these but I was thinking that maybe I would press in a tube and at least keep the exhaust gas off the bolt (and out of the valve cover) but would understand if people would consider these junk.

Nobody piping up so I would say most think they are door stops . If aluminium they can be welded fairly easily. If cast iron , they can be but you got to find the right guy and then they may need milled . Good luck .
    Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

I don't know much about Chevy stuff but exactly how much exhaust gas is going to get by a torqued head bolt? I'm don't believe I would press a tube in the exhaust port as it would cause even more disruption in the flow.

Comment

Originally posted by cstmwgn View Post
        I don't know much about Chevy stuff but exactly how much exhaust gas is going to get by a torqued head bolt? I'm don't believe I would press a tube in the exhaust port as it would cause even more disruption in the flow.
        I don't expect the anti freeze to keep leaking out of this block either. Its a real interesting concept rotating the combustion chambers, gets the intake and exhaust valve closer to their ports, just seems like its what ends up shifting the location of the head bolt. Maybe that's why these are first gen and changes were made. really don't want to buy a new pair to see if they are the same, just hoping someone had some experience with trick flow stuff

Comment

I have no experience with TF heads but I have seen the tube trick done on other aluminum heads.
          The fact that you are thinking of it makes me believe you are capable of doing it, just use SS tubing
          so it will live with the heat. As long as there is enough material so that tightening the head bolt is
          not compromised I would go for it.

Comment

I've been trying to stay quiet because I'm a Ford guy and too lazy to look up a Chevy port, but ... Flexseal a brass tube in there.... They have 1/32 sizing at a good hobby shop, you can get pretty close. How much is a top end gasket set? I mean, you already have the heads, how wrong can it go? As long as it's not pouring water out of it. You may want to poke around where it gets close to the water jackets and see how thin that is too. Water is one of those "doesn't compress very well" fluids. .
            Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Working...
            X