Dan Stokes, whatcha think?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dan Stokes, whatcha think?

Dan, we have a low mileage 292 that I would like to build as a good street performer.... thinking in our 32 chevy with a T5 world class and a 3.42 rear... suggestions?

let your mind run from mild to wild.... several options please!
    Patrick & Tammy
    - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

They need compression and forged rods (the crank is pretty tough with 7 mains). Crower has offered Sportsman rods (same as SBC but the big ends are wider) and there are 0.040 over forged pistons which turn out to be Ford 300 CI with different rod holes. You can use BBC roller rockers. I like Delta cams (I have a couple of different grinds, both flat tappet) - they're one heck of a bargain. Delta has some suggestions and they have steered me right so far. My"good" cam uses a Ram Air IV grind.

I think all 292's have non-integrated heads - if the intake and exhaust are cast-in you'll need a non-integrated head (hot tip - the 292 has the distributor near the front of the engine while the 250 has it about dead center in the engine so the cams won't interchange). IIRC, heads interchange from the 292 and the 250. There is a mod for the heads that removed the divider in the intake ports that's supposed to be worth a lot of HP but every engine I've put mine on has wound up with coolant in the oil - not sure what's up with that. That head passed a pressure check so I dunno.

If you add too much lift (can't remember the number, maybe 0.250"?) you'll need a taller valve cover - my Clifford cover has been worked over inside for clearance for both lift and the roller rockers. Also, the valve springs will coil bind so depending on the cam you'll need to do some sort of valve spring magic.

There are a couple of 4 barrel intakes - mine is an Offy but I know Clifford makes them, too. Don't go too big on the carb - mine is a Holley Truck Avenger, I'm remembering 470CFM but don't hold me to that. I had to jet it WAY down to make it work but eventually it ran really well.

Now - the really cool parts come from Argentina. In Argentina this is the SBC equivalent. If you get serious on Google you'll find turbo kits w/manifolds and all sorts of other groovy stuff. 'Tain't cheap but cheaper than having stuff custom made.

Dan

Comment

Working...
    X