Spring Rates G-Body

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spring Rates G-Body

So I plan on starting my '85 Monte SS build this fall, it's going to be a 275 drag radial car, I'm going with Afco coilover shocks front 3840FBNCBG and rear 3870RBG. The motor is a 355 that will be pushing over 800hp with a NOS big shot kit. Anyway, was wondering about Spring rates, I've done some searching and it seems people are all over the place. from the general consensus it seems a good starting off point would be a 550lb front spring and a 125lb rear spring. Is that to much or to little?? If you have a G-Body and run coilovers what spring rates are you running? And who's springs are the best, should I just go with the Afco springs too? Any help would be much appreciated....
    Last edited by BigAL; August 20, 2017, 12:32 PM.
    The Green Machine.
    http://s1.postimg.org/40t9i583j/mytruck.jpg

I am trying to learn this too. We started with competition engineering three click shock kit, they say they need 12 inch springs. We have 10" springs from an ebay buy and when the weight finally gets to have the spring make contact, they dont compress at all. I was told 125 would be the good starting point. With us its keeping this "drag race only" shock or moving up.

Comment

Update, I ended up contacting AFCO and talking to them about the spring rates, since I wasn't able to give them exact specs in axle weights, only estimates, they recommended that I go with 8" long 550lb springs in the front and 125lb 14" long springs in the rear..... They said those rates should get me in the ballpark so when the car is done I can see where I'm at and go from there.
      The Green Machine.
      http://s1.postimg.org/40t9i583j/mytruck.jpg

Comment

I dont have good weights, I did find some 660 pound scales on ebay for 30 bucks to see if I can get a rear weight. I mean, we installed the springs and there was no compression after the springs seat in the mount. We are remaking the wheel wells to make tubs and put a jack stand on top of the dolly, sat on the car and it immediately squats with the 125. If you only need 250 total spring then 2 660 scales might work. If not, got a shop scale for ups shipping now.

Can I ask what your rear weight was? I was watching the diesel brothers show and they put scales on the big mega 6x6 with rear steer, got to needing four 2600 pound springs instead of the military springs they were planning to use that were rated at 3500 each.

Comment

Working...
        X