Ring & Pinion Prices....WTH ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ring & Pinion Prices....WTH ?

Back in ī15 I swapped out my 2.73:1 gears for 3.42:1 to get some zip into my acceleration...........that part has worked to expectations.

What hasīnt worked is the increased rpms, Iīm doing 3000 @ 60mph, I canīt keep up with traffic on the freeway doing 80 mph the motor is going nuts.

So Iīm thinking of going back to 2.73s for my sanity and reduced fuel bills.

This wasīnt my best idea.

Looking at gear set prices for 2.73s at Summit the prices are around $260.00, they have three choices, Motive Gear, Richmond and USA Standard.

Over at Rockauto I can get a Dana set for $111.79.......

What gives here, whatīs lacking in the "el cheapo" Dana set that the other three have ?

Bat me around the head for somehow "losing" my original gears........

Compromise.. Run 3:08's.
    I run 2:73's behind a snotty small block in my 57 sedan delivery.. Muncie close ratio tranny.. Can't take off worth a crap!
    Freeway speeds at 60 is 1600 or so..
    Had 3:31's. Liked those better, only rear I had after breaking the 3:31 was the 2:73 ..

I put together dana gears in the 3:73 ratio in my daughter's derby car pictured in pic of the day.. 2nd set I set up.. Takes the f-r slaps fine.. Not broken in tho.. I also set up 4:10 and 4:86 by Richmonds in my son's cars.
    Somebody told me that one brand tends to produce whine at freeway speeds unless they were spot on.. And laughed cuz I was deaf.. I said no it was cuz derby cars run upright exhaust..

I would guess the difference is volume.. Dana can make 100's of thousands of sets while others make less?

Comment

buy direct from Richmond gear.... of course, you can also call Summit up and say WTH?
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
        I run 2:73's behind a snotty small block in my 57 sedan delivery.. Muncie close ratio tranny.. Can't take off worth a crap!
        Freeway speeds at 60 is 1600 or so..
        Had 3:31's. Liked those better, only rear I had after breaking the 3:31 was the 2:73 ..

I put together dana gears in the 3:73 ratio in my daughter's derby car pictured in pic of the day.. 2nd set I set up.. Takes the f-r slaps fine.. Not broken in tho.. I also set up 4:10 and 4:86 by Richmonds in my son's cars.
        Somebody told me that one brand tends to produce whine at freeway speeds unless they were spot on.. And laughed cuz I was deaf.. I said no it was cuz derby cars run upright exhaust..

I would guess the difference is volume.. Dana can make 100's of thousands of sets while others make less?

Bob, you need more HP in the 57.... that is the problem, it's not the gear ratio
        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

you running a overdrive tranny ? seem to remember it being a automatic. I have a 3.07 or a 3.08 in my car . I can't remember which . I love it with my measly 300 hp. But I do have two overdrives .
          Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

P.S. If you don't have a overdrive or you have one give me the ratio of it and I'll take her out and give you rpms at which ever speeds you want . Well , at least 80 since I hit that every day .
            Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
              Sīwhat I just ordered......not looking forward to doing the job though...

Comment

"should" be straight forward using all the same shims
                I use a tapered brass drift to get the bearing off the pinion..
                Good luck..

Comment

I bought myself a tool to remove and install
                  bearings.
                  Not so straight forward as a press but I can
                  do it at home.
                  I was having to go to the local tire dealer and use his press.
                  I also found removing the axle and having it on
                  stands sped the job up.
                  Last edited by malc; August 17, 2017, 11:23 PM.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ring_Pinion.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	202.1 KB
ID:	1171825 Click image for larger version

Name:	Pinion.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	177.2 KB
ID:	1171827

Can anyone decipher the writing on pinion end, 13C541....is that a "C" in there ?
                    Attached Files

Comment

is the same number engraved on the ring gear?
                      My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Just had a look see and it is on the ring gear too.

So that tells me they are made for each other.

Checked the tooth count too....3.08:1.

As I've done this once before and can call myself
                        "professional"......I'm going to try it on my back
                        under the car.

Comment

The three O eights are in the diff......
                          Started off with the original shims, had to move two shims over from the ring gear side.
                          Measured my squashed crush sleeve then used an eliminator kit.......right on.
                          Drove it this evening and itīs a dream...a world of difference.....like īem.

Chaos....

Name:	Chaos.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	193.1 KB
ID:	1172402

Theyīre in...

Name:	3_0_8_In.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	141.6 KB
ID:	1172403

It took me longer to install the PowerTrax than setup the gears....those buggers are fiddly and a danger to fingers.

Comment

What crush sleeve eliminator did you use? That is the part I hate when messing with gears. I read a bunch of mixed reviews the last time I looked for one for my ford 8.8
                            http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                            1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                            ​​​​​​

Comment

I used Yukon for all my shims and spacers.
                              Ford 8.8.... at Summit

For a crush sleeve these are better than the regular type.... Ratech Smart Sleeve Crush Sleeves 11003

Last edited by malc; September 2, 2017, 11:09 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X