assembly lube pontiac 461

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• assembly lube pontiac 461

Hello guys and maybe gals. Just wondering what you're using to assemble your engines. should I get the Lucas stuff or can I use some oil or wd40. I have my block back from the shop and all the bottom end parts so I'd like to get pecking away at this thing and maybe get it in the car by end of summer.

NEVER use grease.... I use a thick, heavy oil that will stick to parts for several days or more. As for brand names Lucas is highly regarded in my area. You could ask your machinist for his recommendation too.
    http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...n-block-wanted

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...-Blue-Turd(le)

Comment

Believe it or not I've had great luck with the dark grey cam lube which is moly-based. I first tried it when I didn't have anything else and figured that if it was OK for a cam it ought to be good for anything that rotates. I've used Isky and ARP and so far so good.

Dan

Comment

I've used straight "STP", but honestly, SPEND a few bucks for the Assembly lube. No need to chance hurting your new Engine by skimping out on 8$ of special lube.
        Last edited by V12guy; June 4, 2017, 11:18 PM.
        See my build at: www.1932auburnsedan.com

Comment

I think a good break in oil with the zinc molybdate additive which is what makes the oil stick to the parts is a good option if you are just assembling and firing right away or really soon. When you mention pecking away it makes it sound like a while from fire so I would say assembly lube. I used redline oil, they ave a heavy oil type and a jello type. Just my opinion.

Comment

I have a feeling it will be 30 to 60 days before this thing fires so I would say a while. The two big expenses left are the head work and cam/valvetrain. Once I figure out what route to take with the cam It should be smooth sailing from there..... hopefully. Thank you for your suggestions, Lucas is the safest bet I feel. Their trans additive postponed a rebuild for about 6 months so I'll give them some money

Comment

If the engine is going to sit a while I'll use engine assembly grease, but otherwise I've gone to simply using the sticky Lucas engine oil additive. I prime the oil pump/system before I start all my fresh assemblies too, so overall I'm not really concerned.
              Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

I have the oil pump coming from butlers right now so once that gets here ill be in the money.

Comment

Ive always used lubriplate when assembling engines. AT least on the bottom end. I usually dump a bottle of stp in a coffee can that has a lid and can accomodate the pistons up past the rings to dip em in before putting them in the block.

For trans I like the blue assembly lube.

Mostly I do Buick so I pack the oil pump with vaseline so it will prime.
                  Last edited by TexasT; July 2, 2017, 03:34 PM.
                  Rich

sigpic

Comment

It's okay to use vasoline to prime the oil pump? Haven't heard of that yet? I have some Lucas assembly lube but the machinist said to wait until I get a cam in to instal the crank rods and pistons. Is this correct?

Comment

I like Permatex Ultra Slick 81950. Nice and heavy and sticks to EVERYTHING. General assembly hardware, head bolts and so on I use an ARP product.

Comment

thanks for the info. i got a bottle of the lucas assembly lube. hoping that will work okay

Comment

Really, pretty much any assembly lube will do OK as long as the parts are machined to the right sizes. NO assembly lube is really bad news. For years I used Lubriplate on plain bearings (rods and mains and cam bearings as well as flat surfaces of the cam train), engine oil on ring packs (dip the piston upside down) and lifters, and I'd pack a Buick oil pump with Vaseline. It's what we had and it worked OK. Nowadays there is much better stuff and it makes sense to use it but the above system worked.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                          X