Recommendation request for “Tech 1” equivalent scan tool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommendation request for “Tech 1” equivalent scan tool

Looking for a “Tech 1” equivalent scan tool. My 95 Firebird is OBD1 but has an OBD2 port. This past weekend the ABS and TCS (antilock brakes and traction control system) warning lights came on. My service manual says you need to a Tech 1 to diagnose. It seems to me that most scanners being sold are engine/transmission only.

It would also be nice if this scanner could also diagnose my OBD2 vehicles.

Recommendations please
    nom de guerre - arrowhead from joysey

"They're no good for you. all they ever think about are cars" (GTO/Warren Oates) - Two Lane Blacktop

I got an old brick snap on scanner with all the connectors for OBD1 and 2 off ebay. They can get pretty cheap, just need to get the cartridges with it.

Comment

I had the old red brick as well. Snap on mt2500 there isn't much of a market for them now so ebay or Craigslist should have one fairly cheap.
      Coming at you live from the birthplace of GM,Flint,Mi. Where your car is worth more than the property it's parked on.

Comment

Snap On Ethos... works great!
        Patrick & Tammy
        - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

A Tech 1 can do OBD 2 with a VIM (vehicle interface module) connector on the end of the cable. This is what GM Dealers used in late 1995 on the 1996 OBD 2 vehicles before the Tech2 came out in early 1996. The Tech 1 would need to have a Mass Storage Cartridge installed to do the Chassis stuff. I really think you could find some more recent tools, than what was used 20 years ago. Your car sounds like if may have some early OBD2 stuff like heated O2 sensors, even though it's not a full blown OBD2 system.

Comment

Working...
          X