Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Opinions on new 2-stage air compressor purchase?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions on new 2-stage air compressor purchase?

Am in the market for a new 2-stage compressor. Locally a new store to us opened this week, Family Farm & Home (Think TSC, Rural King, etc)

They have an INDUSTRIAL AIR MACHINE 80gal tank 17cfms for $1000, looks pretty decent. Research on the internet says it is a clone of the SAYLOR BEALL?

TSC right across the road has an INGERSOLL RAND for the same money. http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pro...pressor-80-gal

Both sport tags saying Made in USA from imported components - in other words, china stuff assembled here.

What sayeth Bangshift? Other options?

My current 60 gallon single stage has served me well for 20 years, but has always been slightly marginal in output. I take breaks to let it catch up. Will probably sell it. In truth my buddies' ancient 2-stage has me envious after using his air tools.

Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

shop around for an old used one? but then you have to deal with the fact that it's probably led a long hard life.

If they both contain imported components, then brand name is probably meaningless.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I'm not sure how much I trust brand-name-but-downmarket air compressors. I had one once (DeVilbiss) with a one-year warranty, it had to have the compressor completely rebuilt at 11 months and worked for another three months after that and kapoot. I saved the tank and put a different top unit on it, with the original off to scrap. Both of those you're looking at have five-horse motors that look pretty small for putting out that much power, I see that reviews on the TSC one include motors blowing out. For light use, which is probably what they're made for...maybe OK. Warranty?

20 years ago I stepped up just a little more, $1400, to get this Curtis: http://www.aircompressorsdirect.com/...or/p14696.html I see it's still the same price. What a workhorse, I've never had to worry about it and sometimes I use the heck out of it.

Comment

Not much used in my area.....just junk sears 5 gallon stuff previously owned by meth-heads.

That's a good alternative Loren. I have also been eyeing this Quincy http://www.aircompressorsdirect.com/...sor/rv855.html

I am not stuck in a price range, want something that will work and not need fixed constantly. I hate taking my time to fix the tools before I can work on the project.

How does the Curtis compare to the Quincy I wonder?
        Last edited by STINEY; August 27, 2015, 08:57 AM.
        Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Possibly many of these are made by shops who gather together parts from other vendors (even formed tank-ends can be purchased on pallets then you roll-form sides and weld up your own tanks) so it's hard to compare. Who made the compressor, who made the motor, who made the parts within? All I'd say for the Quincy is, the reviews for as far down as I went were recent purchases. I'd wanna hear from somebody who had one for a decade or more...although I'd hafta admit, there's no knowing that what you get now is the same as they made back-when. That something is built for continuous industrial use, even if you're not going to use it that way, is possibly the best "feature" to look for.

Comment

cast iron is good. best scenario is get the one rated for 175psi and use it at 125. Using a 125 at 125 is not a good thing.

You will probably be able to buy parts for an IR machine, I dont know about this one. Mostly the reed valves bend and end up recompressing the air making it extremely hot and wet.
            Last edited by anotheridiot; August 27, 2015, 04:34 PM.

Comment

I have been very happy with the IR machine I bought 4 years ago...but notwithstanding what I was told at the point of sale, damned if I can find anywhere stamped on it "Made in USA"
              Michael from Hampton Roads

Comment

Chrysler Air conditioning compressors make pretty damn great Air compressors. Probably because they are dual stage piston driven things.

Comment

My 1970s vintage compressor looks a lot like that Curtis. I've had it over 20 years, and it was in a body shop before I got it, and who knows where before that. I have had to do very little to keep it going.

At least now you're looking at "real" compressors...
                  My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I bought a "Delta" (or so labeled) from Sam's Club when I was setting up the shop here, probably 9 years ago or so. It's a 2 stage 175 PSI rated 5 HP. that I run at about 125 or so. So far so good - I've done nothing to it though I owe it an oil change. Pretty sure it's made up of foreign components. It was on sale at about $675 IIRC.

Dan

Comment

When you fork out a premium price for something then while walking through Harbor Freight you see the same thing but a different color for $150 less, how do you feel?

Been there, done that. And been in the market for a new compressor after my 20yo Craftsjunk died twice.
                      http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...n-block-wanted

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...-Blue-Turd(le)

Comment

I was looking at a Ingersol Rand 2 stage at TSC, the compressor was made in India. I looked at a 2 stage at HF, the compressor was made in Italy, go figure. At home I have a single stage 5hp, 60 gal vert tank Puma I bought at HF at least 10 years ago. Great unit. My boss just bought anew 2 stage for our new garage, it's a Puma as well.

Oh yeah, I'd love to have a 2 stage, go for it!
                        Last edited by Huskinhano; September 19, 2015, 07:46 PM.
                        Tom
                        Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Buy a really good older used one and rebuild it. Nearly every single one of the new ones in that range are made in China and rebadged. Its a game as to how they claim its made in the USA.I paid $1400 for my 5HP IR and for that much, I could have made a custom unit with a little planning up front.
                          Why dance when you can rock and roll?

Comment

Originally posted by STINEY View Post
                            Am in the market for a new 2-stage compressor. Locally a new store to us opened this week, Family Farm & Home (Think TSC, Rural King, etc)

They have an INDUSTRIAL AIR MACHINE 80gal tank 17cfms for $1000, looks pretty decent. Research on the internet says it is a clone of the SAYLOR BEALL?

TSC right across the road has an INGERSOLL RAND for the same money. http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pro...pressor-80-gal

Both sport tags saying Made in USA from imported components - in other words, china stuff assembled here.

What sayeth Bangshift? Other options?

My current 60 gallon single stage has served me well for 20 years, but has always been slightly marginal in output. I take breaks to let it catch up. Will probably sell it. In truth my buddies' ancient 2-stage has me envious after using his air tools.
                            I visit your link that you share with us to buy an industrial air compressor but failed. The link not active because when I open this link I found here
                            We were unable to process your request. Please try again. If the problem persists, please contact customer support.

Click image for larger version

Name:	industrial com.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	133.5 KB
ID:	1192459

I searched on google for the Best Industrial air compressor and bought a 60 gallon Industrial Air ILA3606056 from https://bestaircompressorstore.com/i...pressor-store/ . It is 60-Gallon Single Stage Cast Iron Twin Cylinder Air Compressor. It is also the best model to get better service and highest compressed air for industrial job applications. This twin-cylinder compressors pump system is easily able to supply quickly compressed air. Its powerful 3.7-hp motor produces the max pressure of 155 psi and 13.4 CFM at 40 psi & 11.5 CFM at 90 psi.
                            Some features:
                            • High-capacity 60-gallon tank.
                            • Efficient motor delivering 155 psi of max pressure and 13.4 CFM at 40 psi & 11.5 CFM at 90 psi.
                            • Spread voltage motor works with 208-240V current.
                            • Reliable oil-lubricated pump system.
                            • Comes with synthetic oil.
                            • Reduce motor overheating.
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	Industrial Air ILA3606056 60-Gallon Single Stage Cast Iron Twin Cylinder Air Compressor.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	17.2 KB
ID:	1192460

Thank you

Comment

so the cfm rating at 155 will be about 6?

Just looking at that pump should not make you think its big enough for more than an air nailer.

Comment

Working...
                              X