Timing marks on a SBC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timing marks on a SBC

I have a 350 in the Chevelle that i cant find the timing marks on..sure.it is there,but when using a timing lamp,it is too far away to be used.i adjust the timing by using my ears,and it works good.it start easy,and runs well for a near stock 350..

But are there diffrent marks on all those harmonic balancers for the SBC?.

And the other day i was helping a friend with a 305TPI 86 model.He have the engine in pieces(heads off),and when we had piston number one at top,the timing mark was waaay out of range.The mark was right up to the top of the engine then...

Re: Timing marks on a SBC

Sounds to me like the balancer has "spun". Or in other words the rubber gave out between the crank hub and the outer part, this will throw off timing.

Comment

Grab yourself a piston-stop and some timing tape and remark your balancer.
      As Truckpuller has said.. It's common for the outer ring to slip.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Comp+Cams/249/4795/10002/-1

http://www.jegs.com/i/Mr.+Gasket/720/1588/10002/-1

Comment

you dont want to just remark your balancer, if the rubber is shot is has no dampening effect.

Comment

There were a few different timing mark locations, most were at around 1:30 (on a clock), others were at 12:00. If you have the wrong damper/timing cover/timing tab, it won't be in the right place.

Also some dampers have a big slot cut in them that is not really the timing mark, it's for a timing light that uses a crank trigger sensor that fits into a round tube on the timing cover.

If the outer ring of the damper slipped, then you need a new damper.
          My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

There were definitely two (or more) versions of dampers with timing marks in either the 12 o'clock position or the 1-2 o'clock position.

If you point your timing light straight down behind the water pump and see the timing mark there with the strobe on, you've got a 12 o'clock damper and need the timing cover with that corresponding timing tab.

vice versa for the 2 o'clock version, they obviously hafta line up to work.

Most auto parts sources carry both...

edit: I think the 12 o'clock versions are the early versions, ask for a later version (70s/80s?) and you should get what you need...

Comment

Aren't the 12 o'clock style ones for vans, and the other ones for everything else?

Comment

This makes sense..the 350 in my car are from a van.. ;D.i should have known this.

Comment

I've seen the ones in the 12 o-clock position in F bodies,
                  G bodies, C&K bodies...

I think they are the later ones.

Comment

correct min, the turds have it at 12 cause theres too much emmisions crap on the drivers side to see anything.

Comment

piston stop -AKA INDEX FINGER in #1 plug hole
                      I crank it up until it pings - my 400 dollar timing light just sits

Comment

Index finger to find the compression stroke yes, but to accurately locate TDC by stopping the piston either side of it? ..No way!
                        Piston stops are a great idea..

Comment

Stop the piston on each side of TDC with a piston stop, then split the difference this will be TDC.

Only a fool does not use a light to be able to repeat and know how bad his burn is, BUT you should set timing by reading a plug, and creeping up on it unless your tune is so far off anything will work then you should find a new hobbie like horse shoes where close will be ok.
                          2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
                          First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
                          2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
                          2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

;D-Agreed.

Comment

Working...
                            X