1987 subaru: dual range

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rain coming
    our biggest rains are this month. I see 2.5 inches in the forecast.
    checking vents are closed, and realizing a month went by...just letting it stay parked.

post #1369
    I space it out over some weeks, a month..sometimes more.
    Start it up, get the juices flowing. So very unlike iron willing to go the second you start. the subaru needs to earn. Move chemistry and whatever else.

Started right up, needed a long warm up. Same as it has always been. I was going to dare to take off in the cold to destination.. but it reminds me of how daring I have been in the last 20 years with the old subarus.

11 years this month. Me and 1 tin can subaru.

It is a big compression, tiny stroke. I do not know as I will ever see this again in todays turbo and technology taking over. It moves the cold smoke within seconds of starting. the steels have to change so fast there is grumbles and rumbles vibrations and creaking noises as the little monster comes to life.
    Elongated rattles curving their way from loud to soft just to find another one in a different place in the chassis.

Primitive. Pushing boundaries. A calmer runtime was just .2 liters way in years that followed.
    Forever humble.

I will be 45 soon. I do not approach my dare devil like I used to. It seems this pile will stay young being old, I will be the one to fade away...
    I did row some gears for a short run. the autumn colors still have my will.. but the subaru fights with it. The battle we have had..being an opposite couple paired only in desperation and my once youthful motivation.
    I know forums run on ads, hot rod stuff here.
    I am somehow an ebay partner..I just clicked yes to some questions sometime back about "ebay partner"
    been enrolled there for about 17 years in all. The ebay partner stuff is not old however.

Click image for larger version

Name:	epnpay.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	1177728

lo and behold, I have been getting random deposits.
    I do mention ebay a lot. Stuff I find on ebay is nearly all car and truck related.
    maybe they keep track of wherever I do that.

anyway, this subaru..and even my truck and the computer I am on, and the bracemy ankle wears and...
    it goes on and on. I would not have any of it without the ebay.

I even get to chatting in broken english with asian sales, through ebay messaging, however small the sale may be.. they ask how I like the product etc.
    great stuff.

as if to help shatter boundaries for real items. Always good...unless it is bad. I have ripped into a few sellers. I know now that matters.
    Last edited by Barry Donovan; October 23, 2017, 10:34 PM.
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

• 4 inches

a lot of leaves fell
      post 1370
      warmed it up, got a few gallons of fuel.
      went for a short run.
      lots of rain passed through.

leaves are falling quick.
      I am inspired to drive it on a longer ride.

Name:	cold1.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	1178181
      felt a chill, it is 38 right now. that is the forecast low.
      I am guessing otherwise.. 830 pm at the low already.
      it may hit freezing.
      Previously boxer3main

Comment

• 11 days

been though the biggest blackout , 5 times worse than an ice storm in 1998.
        lots of rain.

Name:	firstcold2017.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	1179331

now a frost set in at sundown.. it gets dark early with the crazy clock falling back an hour.
        will be cold spot of lower 48 again I guess.

started right up, needing a familiar long warmup.
        the mimes of summer, I usually hear at least one barrelling down the road out of the woods after taking my hopeless 80s rice down the road... I blamed my subaru for waking that silly motivation up.

this time of year onward, it is just my own making noise.
        as if the kids and shallow motivation is left behind for aging pros and stubborn survivors.
        Don't bother bullshitting.

A dodge caravan that I put an alternator in.. new belt.
        it is in the driveway now.
        Slow going project for sure. no exhaust..running right off the head.
        The woman who took it in is months apart from my own age.. also disabled.
        I then realized something about men and women. Still learning at 45 yrs old...

Where she is at with the caravan, I was at with a subaru in 1997.
        This equal man women stuff is ####ing nonsense.

I looked it over today for free, again, and found the back axle tube is broken. right wheel has extreme camber.
        I also charged battery so at least a boost from a car could start it easy enough.

there is hope for it.
        I am glad it has a budget and welder getting paid. I have donated enough for free...
        nothing comes back you know.

that is how men are treated around here. disabled, war grunt veteran gimping toothless wheezing or not.
        Last edited by Barry Donovan; November 7, 2017, 08:50 PM.
        Previously boxer3main

Comment

• suby of the day.

these guys are from puerto rico.

it would be like a subaru to come out of nowhere in a positive direction.

congrats to going fast.
          Previously boxer3main

Comment

• hoonigans had a great show today, ken block knows his killer B history.

this subaru also showed up in my subscriptions.. elusive.
            Last edited by Barry Donovan; November 22, 2017, 11:58 AM.
            Previously boxer3main

Comment

• holy crap.

holley sniper 2300.

I have 2 intakes from the 80s, machined myself to do the big 1 barrel hole...this means I can bump up to two barrel.. the 2300 holley is a most common adapter.
              Saving my pennies.

Click image for larger version  Name:	hero17339.jpg Views:	1 Size:	523.8 KB ID:	1182216

on my current multiport intake, I can do straight shot with some tig..

no adapters, straight shot.
              just buy alloy spacer for 2300, that becomes the tigged flange to intake.
              Last edited by Barry Donovan; December 7, 2017, 07:13 PM.
              Previously boxer3main

Comment

• long ride

my truck has me back in the scale of 24 hours driving for no reason.
                As weird history has it.. my subaru did more of that than all my favorite machines.
                ..and i had to build every damn last flunking detail to do it.
                I did 1357 miles in 25.

Name:	latola.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	306.3 KB
ID:	1182351 a unique ride. about 725 miles.
                with a 17 mile ferry.
                lagrange to labrador city
                about the same to just south of washington dc

I'd like to see mother goose (goose bay) and labrador city is on the way.

mother goose was a nickname by pilots...atlantic crossings.
                it is different today.

it is 2 below in labrador city.
                Previously boxer3main

Comment

• 6 weeks

I guess this is my own record.

of course, it is my record more than the subaru. I built the whole damn thing.

I just got a cellphone, and realized I could take video.
                  it started right up.. very frozen. Never left it this frozen ever.

the ice is too hard to go smashing it with a mallet.

pulled itself out in 2wd...
                  onto tomorrows blizzard.

The more I learn about bad opinions and machines.. the more I find girl hands from males.
                  My job is done...mostly.

whoever buys this could so something amazing with longevity...and not much work to speak of.
                  Last edited by Barry Donovan; January 3, 2018, 03:02 PM.
                  Previously boxer3main

Comment

• armadiilo 6 am and 66 degrees
                    in florida right now.
                    I decide to step out this morning. Crack of dawn is a turning point in the frigid.
                    all is well here. 66F at 6 am.

Name:	1200px-Nine-banded_Armadillo.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	345.4 KB
ID:	1186118

and then I saw it.
                    I bet they can't pee on car tires.

off in the distance.. a subaru. I heard it for at least ten minutes. rowing gears..that crazy ass subaru sound.

thinking of my subaru at home in the wrong place...a bit like an armadillo in maine.
                    A glimpse in the mirror, I am not the same either.

Not sure what american compilation I am made of..
                    but I need every place I have ever lived.

I'd like to come down this way for the rest of my days.
                    I never appear to have left a battle front. I am always at war it seems.

I laughed at the thought of my 87 in the tropical suck of air it needs.
                    It makes me smile.
                    maine gives it 4 hours of july and august.
                    Previously boxer3main

Comment

• screen shot from lagrange maine. At night, you can see lights in a window of the building I live in.. off to the right of screen.

Name:	lastorm.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	306.7 KB
ID:	1186512

heading for single digits as the high. I hope the suby firewall hangs on.
                      this scenario of weather killed more than half the rice in the 1980/90s, less than 5 years old.

will find out next week how it did.
                      it is 65F where I am , a dryness in the florida air. Very comfortable.
                      the low is not going to be as low as first thought. The 40s for tonight.
                      Previously boxer3main

Comment

• been awhile

my poor subaru of jap-uneasiness.

Click image for larger version  Name:	buried march 002.jpg Views:	1 Size:	311.4 KB ID:	1194396

started right up. I let it spin some tires to get out.
                        Hasn't seen the road since october.
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	buried march 003.jpg Views:	1 Size:	494.9 KB ID:	1194397
                        will be back on the road soon.

just the sound of this should give me 5 grand.

but no...

it had some arctic blue around it this time... in march. The MSD brought a fire to burrow to its own exhaust hole, the back and 3 sides were buried. I kept shoveling minimal.

I gave it some diluted 2 stroke gas some time ago, just to keep moving it for the plow man.
                        oddly enough.. I think I found another tip and trick by myself...

diluted two stroke gas. Very diluted... a mix of my oen choosing, only because I had nothing to empty the gas can into when I went to the store.
                        It liked it.
                        I compared it to a kawasaki 440 snowmobile engine anyway. The casting..begging for carbon at all times.

my disability continues, nothing substantial written. I was investigated by SSDI recently. I not only got paid for driving miles, I got a real doctor, an insurance version that even takes care of teeth.

I am safely headed for gulf war illness the SSDI way.
                        I am a disabled veteran after all...

anyway..
                        I still call this subaru an echo of me.

I got a real doctor as primary care.. and this subaru might get the same.
                        I don't want to sell if I don't have to.

you can bury it, make it look like hell. Appear odds are against.. but oh, its got another set of 5 other gears to lock in all four.

it makes me smile.
                        Last edited by Barry Donovan; March 21, 2018, 03:07 PM.
                        Previously boxer3main

Comment

• I'm happy to hear you have a real doctor now. I'm sure the VA has some good ones, but I've never heard of any. You know the old saying, those that can, do, those that can't, teach, and those that can't do or teach go to work for the government.

Comment

• Originally posted by hauen View Post
                            I'm happy to hear you have a real doctor now. I'm sure the VA has some good ones, but I've never heard of any. You know the old saying, those that can, do, those that can't, teach, and those that can't do or teach go to work for the government.
                            I am in a group where even if they were on the ground, in desert storm... no record of anything to help. This brings albino incest frauds who never got dirty int he first place..
                            I am not sure what an ulcer is.. but at 45, I think I may have one.
                            I worked the airplanes that carried the stuff that never happened.

Something is happening now, like viet nam at 20 years later in the early 90s.. we can talk.
                            We can get help. Still alive is the prerequisite.
                            Previously boxer3main

Comment

• the subaru is just smelling like 30 years.

I remember finding 50s cars here in the woods in the mid 80s... same smell.
                              same age.. only 30 years later.

I had another oh my god moment.. but am confident with my new doctor.

it involved a bolt, yet again. This one was from subaru.

instead of the disappearing trick, it was much more fearsome.
                              I drink coffee by the gallons.. no joke. it is in gallons.

Anyway, I put my cup in the microwave as the 30 cup earn goes cool, need to reheat 1 cup at a time.
                              That peculiar noise that went with now the fourth bolt episode came out as I shut the microwave door.

I shrugged it off.

I grabbed the coffee, drank it empty. Filled it again. popped it in the microwave..

I opened the door, and something was in the bottom of my cup.

I quickly dumped out my coffee...

and there it was.

the bolt.

This does not surprise me anymore, I did not tear up wondering why I have a freak act of science unwritten.
                              no raised hairs or shaking hands...

This is event number four... written
                              I do know it is a nuclear byproduct.

I do know it involves my hands.
                              This subaru is in the strange but true, and so am I.

The bolt came form my subaru. Wondering where it could have come from. I opened the drawer below the coffee urn.
                              there they were...a few more just like that what was in my cup.

my 1 am confession. I remember speaking of my oddity here with my vehicles and bolts...
                              this is the first to actually appear.. and not disappear, with the same given strange noise as a hint something just happened like the other events.

Am I on the other side of the half life...? I wonder if my weight will gain 50 pounds mysteriously...
                              always questions.
                              Previously boxer3main

Comment

• went for ride.

last ride was last october or so.
                                sputtered to poop and oxide for 3 gears and away that flywheel kicked in on the 43mm throttle.
                                Absolutely love that little engine.

by the time humanity of american sizing catches up... the 4 million dollar ferraris still have nothing on it.
                                Very smooth and quiet. I remembered where I left off.. wanting a new driveshaft for full 4x4 use.
                                for now it is a cross country legend I hope to make.

every grab of a gear is a surge.. a momentum unfelt in any other engine known.

not even your wobbling rotary.

I ponder a visit to a garage like hoonigans, and let a crowd like that poke some fun. Even that nerdy honda guy would find something to be amazed about...

I admire ken block for his 80s quests, B-rally..
                                this subaru is there, always will be.
                                lost and found and done my way.

in a wagon of course.

I'd drive across the country singing songs by the eagles.
                                Last edited by Barry Donovan; June 19, 2018, 07:54 PM.
                                Previously boxer3main

Comment

Working...
                                X