1987 subaru: dual range

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• intervenus oil addage

like bad blood, cancer types.. oozing a wound that should not exist, leading to gangrene eventually..
    i grabbed the oil jug with my trucks 6000 mile used synthetic, fed it a quart.
    I noticed after 2 years, the subarus oil is still spotless...down 1.25 quarts.

subarus cannot run like this.
    it needs to be at least 100% of the pig it came from.

Looking forward to welds. It really is fun.
    the sound, it makes me smile. It is nothing like a subaru at all.

I made a honda cbr600 out of it.
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

• suberdave

this is one of two other people that hung on past my own ten year history online with the tin can.

one car, several builds, trial and error etc.

just for fun.

my own is at 3 different engines.
      Previously boxer3main

Comment

• 22nd timing map

22nd time is a charm. Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	559.1 KB
ID:	1163646

my last tune was october 10.. less than stellar by carb rules, they play with everyhting at 70F, and we tweak around the rest of the year on that.
        I am sure it was a bit cool.

today, I noticed a lean spot from 1500 to about 2500..engine full warm.
        I surrounded it by adding another dot, holding back on the curve..
        carbs feed more fuel when you retard.

this is made on my big computer, so the overall timing is at 24, my subaru tells msd box 38.(big range)
        my big computer never sees the msd box.. that is for my lap top.

this is how to get a big barrel on a little engine.
        it is already running in a way I never knew these could..

just giving it some extra finale.

the real win was the dynamical map, immediate throttle on.
        when the two times (run rtd and bst rtd) bump heads to climb full advance curve..that is the other reason for the extra dot...need to hold it back a teeny bit more. I want the map sensor line (boost retard) to be simply and going with the nature.

at 2.62 inches of stroke, it is indeed this sensitive. Playing with less than 5 degrees on throttle opening.
        a lot like a motorcycle.

this throttles on fast enough, you might even think it is a motorcycle engine if you could not see it and only hear it.
        the msd6530 did wonders.

If they tell me a way to hack into my vortec engine to leave the ecm alone.. I'd have a turbo build done in days.
        I hold back, as I do not like just 1 o2 sensor ECU injection systems on two bank engines.
        the factory is the champ to me.

this msd6530 somehow in the middle to take over ignition would be incredible to me.
        Last edited by Barry Donovan; June 18, 2017, 07:10 PM.
        Previously boxer3main

Comment

• timing ramp in

I had this stretched out to 12,500 to avoid maxxing the timing.
          watching fuel today, I put the above ramp in, no problems.

back to bellowing like a rochester four barrel past 4000 rpm.

much like my truck, and everything else I have had my hands on.. I get a smile from somebody every time I am out driving around.

I suppose that is what makes it worth it.
          I am thinking now if launch limit was set to 4000, it would spit some blue flames. I can even set the resolution of the limiter.. this one needs silly fast settings. As fast as the msd will go.

a weld plan is in my mind now, I am hacking the whole last remnant of subarus outer end on the rear tube.. will take photos. Won't take long to do.
          the throttle ramp is hilarious. gotta give it some steel.
          Previously boxer3main

Comment

• missing structure

I guess i have an old lawsuit suby. Something to do with rear subframe, arch root.
            something important is missing.
            1985-1987

quick planning, I know to go frankenstein.. will show pictures when it is done.

this next weld is all structure.. no panel fixing or making pretty.

it was a good call on my behalf to go ape with what I have done thus far. Now it is simple laminates.. I even have my own floor beams spanning B-pillar to tunnel, right where there is a tough spot on driveshaft carrier.

So rust was not the issue this whole time, it was bending structrure. munching itself away.
            this car really did break sitting in its own parking spot to snowfall.

the motivation is the one of none build on the drivetrain. Rare SPEC clutch, rare wheels to launch it into higher speeds safely.
            suspension work, the one of a kind tuning.

looking forward to this weekend. Hope all goes well. I have a trailer reserved already to hook up at the crack of dawn.
            No more complaining, facts sure help.

I also found the ground is buzzing to the deep freeze escaping.
            4 earthquakes in a week.

I'd love to be welding off of a generator..
            I'll get the sube up on stands, all four wheels lifted before welding.. that may help.

I have had rejections. Even my truck.. my first go at the shock mount.
            Truck is much better of course, when you set a pace or directions, the active ground becomes ahelper.
            the deadness of mid july and august sails right on by to what I make.

edit..

I am pretending this place has a summer.
            I am thinking a delay for july 3rd might get a day in.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	raindly.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	1164940

I also watched northwest offroaders, a small clan of old subarus.

A successful looking one had fake ladder bars, keeping factory rear end..
            I found this clever.

I am going to do the same.

it is basically a bar welded passed the arch root somewhere on the laminated rocker..
            I am 5 layers of sheet metal fairy tale holding all that together, so the inboard laminate will actually be a good strength.
            This car takes 1000+ pounds in the back as proven.. just humoring endpoints for a side flex arm.
            the rear tube is strong enough to take entire chunks out of it.
            Going to have fun being extreme with it.

the last bit needed, as you'll see in photo.. it is a tiny tidbit of the wholepicture. I thought I could respect the last tid bitleft..

but no.
            the hopeless effeminate son of a @#$%#$%^34%6464%566 c*(%^& suking poansayy no good for nothing..

nevermind.
            Last edited by Barry Donovan; June 28, 2017, 08:05 PM.
            Previously boxer3main

Comment

• really ghetto.

Pondering where weird history like this has happened...

the real mercedes backs out of a garage, as a 240D non-turbo 40 years later... no one notices how many times, or how it has 700k miles..
              Mercedes recovers such things, as does all euro.

the japs...
              they'll never learn.

they'd rather go gangsta. A short sprite, like a bullet.

you know what is odd. Just fixing my old one, that stupid exhaust is up over 100db.
              its like they focused on weird things to carry through...while punching old owners with bad words.
              In real engineering, a self balanced boxer could whisper a 9 second quarter.

I hop back in my v8, incognito is a famous family trait anyway.

edit:
              speaking of whispering 9 seconds..
              quite peculiar.
              found this today.

700hp. most powerful 911 yet for 2018.
              Last edited by Barry Donovan; June 30, 2017, 02:29 PM.
              Previously boxer3main

Comment

• finally

going to try to have this done for tomorrow.
                No beautifying.. just structure. Click image for larger version

Name:	dolly1.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	632.0 KB
ID:	1165293

have a dolly reserved for the morning.

planning it out..
                I almost like it looking like a rat rod with bad edges.
                it is built from the inside out after all.

make some rice lovers nervous.

I took out almost 200 pounds in dead steel like weight out of the back. A battery caved in the welded floor. this f$%%^$%^ tin pile of shit. I am real evil to this tin can, but damn.
                I know I broke stuff on my own being a big scary mean american male..
                5 foot 9 of sasquatch fury. Click image for larger version

Name:	rear1.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	158.8 KB
ID:	1165294

I am actually gutting a crack in this area (#2)..leaving factory height, unlike this photo with a big bad 4x4 dream.
                no more tinkering. Just going straight to subframe with a box while leaving factory connections.

Name:	subrear2.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	1165295

this is the same car as first photo. It did indeed break the same pieces I did. This followup is quite robust.
                I know to go frankenstein as well.

this should allow for the car to rip a wheel off and leave everything else alone.

will show what I did when it is done.. to maintain nothing but tucked tight and factory.
                ..and if I want a gallon jug of fluid in the back? oh yeah, it should haul it. Thunder trucker of rage and japanese fury.
                Last edited by Barry Donovan; July 2, 2017, 01:28 PM.
                Previously boxer3main

Comment

• delayed again.

For good reasons, other than me.. but will schedule a better time.
                  With car empty, it is tempting to just drive it to the garage.. but I won't.

I have pushed those boundaries enough with this tin can and the past decade.
                  It is a car I'd like to forget..
                  but not possible at this time.

maybe when I get older, that gets easier.
                  From age 23, to now at 44.. even my actions with these subaru tin cans show I am much older.
                  I don't believe i'll be driving 25 hours again.
                  whipping donuts in the snow in a public place, because it was a spurr of the moment fun thing to do.
                  No offroad for this one, I did commit to that from day one.
                  I learned how wimpy they are more than 20 years ago, on my own.

I guess it also proves, even the tin can is metal, even rusting in intervals... it does not slowly die like humans.
                  maybe that is the attachment to any cars. It just happened to be hanging out long enough...grew on people.

even punk rock tried to kill the metal.

happy fourth!

something I did not forget, as memory is blips and pieces.
                  a first indication this boxer is something else, it gets bigger as hours go by out on the road.
                  The vw jetta story in the early 2000s, it had a fart can, tight ramped timing and all the go fast noises...
                  my first carbed subaru not only kept up, it went by after a few miles.
                  13 inch wheels stretching to an oblong shape in the heat. Unsure of speed, like all my ea82 subarus, they do not read proper after 75.

I then saw an incredible effort by a vw rabbit, multi-carbed 1.8 liter... 121 in the mile at loring a few years later.
                  That epiphany, it did not go away.

This subaru is 1mph per horsepower.. a boxer thing. I am sure there is an original engineer chuckling at the stuff I figured out.
                  3600 rpm is 90mph.. its peak of efficiency.
                  3600 seconds in an hour..
                  I guessed it's design is based on fuel per hour. I knew then it was a little airplane engine.
                  They never timed it to go passed that point.

I have. Almost double that.

anyway,
                  Today this is posted by "Rob Dahm"
                  Rotary is not easy. Like the older boxers, modern materials and controls are adding that much more while doing less work than the old days.

by chance found the rabbit that set the g class record.
                  6700 rpm for 129.

this was only 8 years ago. the vid quality makes it seem older.

if my subaru hit that it would be doing 162.
                  I let off at 4500 in fifth for my fastest run.
                  Rear end was not welded yet back then either.
                  that is 109.

anyway.
                  goal would be 5200-5400.
                  I think it can.
                  an odd thing I noticed was those hard pipes for a roof rack i got. shredded edges and howled like the devil.
                  I bet taking them off, and empty car.. noe xtras like a jack and spare and tools.
                  I think it could do it, as of now.

Last summer, a dark road run... maybe 80.
                  the sound was bellowing behind me.. I could only imagine what that sounded like to quiet neighbors in the woods out there.
                  I cruised by one house with an outside light on, and several people staring at me going by.

They heard me coming...stood out there in the bugs with the porch light.
                  When you know you got it.. it is not fun anymore. Hence my enthusiasm is slow.
                  The boxer four has broken every record since the 60s for its category anyway.
                  Can't break a sideways hondas spirit with an american grandpa however... its like the keyword "maine" deleted form you tube.
                  just another boxer...buried by flunking wimps.
                  Last edited by Barry Donovan; July 3, 2017, 07:49 PM.
                  Previously boxer3main

Comment

• A suby wins the spectator drags this week.

looks warm out there.
                    several vehicles were faster, but the traction got a win this time.

oxford maine.
                    Previously boxer3main

Comment

• finally.. part 2

tow dolly in possession, ready to go for the morning.

the realtime welding plan goes really easy with me, I have fun, while going 100,000 times stronger.
                      it is why I have been thrown at these chores since I was 15.
                      looking it over, it may only be a 30 minute job per side.
                      Will make some fancy shapes...and get photos.

..might get to some fancy stuff, like the other quarter being stainless. that first one I did some time ago is stopped in time.
                      I like seeing that. It is this cars asshole.

will see how it goes.
                      After all I have done, the doors still sound like I am closing a tank. Big echo, thunderous. Arch roost on full triple laminate at 70k psi solid seamed.

It has not been exactly a subaru in my ten years with it.
                      Previously boxer3main

Comment

• mission critical

as far as structure goes, today was my most dramatic chores. Getting dolly back to the drop off led to
                        a 12 hour day..

forward diff mount, I ripped the tabs right off, after forgetting to unhook the dolly chains. this added some hours.
                        I have a curse against me to be a blessing. I jotted down that i did not like the factory tabs that held up the nose of the diff.. must have been 2010.
                        I went extra beefy today. Ugly as hell, todays deeds, but many times stronger.

the rear left outer tube. the side stabilizer bar, was the purpose for towing, it was pulverized and worthless. The wheel wiggled all around.

towed it backwards to the garage, and facing forward going home.
                        I can now drive to the garage.. 36 miles, and finish this off. What I have done today is very strong.
                        Will post photos.

I have not had this engine at full song...
                        there is some motivation about that.

my dad, he collects the stuff he needs, he's got a different air compressor. smaller than the last one.

I plug in my trusty ingersol rand, old one..
                        snapped an adapter right off like a twig.
                        450ft lbs, the last of the hand held. the guess on the year of it, I have no clue. they made changes for safety reasons.
                        made easy work out of some of the bolts today.

30 years old. not easy going.
                        I cut the front diff bolt, went to home depot found similar, and went with it. Two new tabs to hold up diff in better alignment than the droopy subaru used to be.
                        This was the other factor in being strangely faster than the others... pinion angle.
                        rear wheel castr/camber/toe. I experimented some years ago. These cars look toe in on the back, with a touch of negative camber. that is the fast rear end.
                        Not sure why that is, it just is.
                        I do it by eyeball...primitive measure. It still moves where it needs to on bushings.

the outer ends.. those are staying all brick, no more bushings, but only for the side bars.
                        diff is all bushings. Still working great.

will get some photos.

still no photos. I'll get it when it is done.
                        last journal post was May.
                        waking up the little giant. Feels good.

first normal speed ride in 7 months.
                        some alignment issues, as expected. still straight, just setting toe, camber caster.. I tugged enough on toe out to change steering wheel.

the weld is very strong. A small shudder almost vibration, I had to put up with in the months before breaking, is narrowed down to a speed range, like my truck in the cold.

Drive shaft related. These always win, if your within a half mile of a good measure.
                        I found one wheel loose.. I was going very fast in the last minutes to get the wheel dolly back to the drop off point.

I can now drive to the garage.

Sure hit a sweet spot. For years I was smelling death during welding of the back end. It was the mount I changed yesterday.. all new steel. Much much stronger. I am going for symmetry to do passenger side next.

This steel swapped will allow the rear left quarter to finally hang on longer. It is 3 layers deep and failing already. Not exactly old. Removed mud flap, letting it have the wind.

It is still a freighted buggy. My go fast thoughts have subsided. Excellent cruiser.
                        I can't even claim how unique this one ended up. Just welding the rear tube changes fuel flow, electrical grounds.. not mentioning the basics an ape could figure out. slippery cold bearings,basic alignments.

I also just learned this rear end is the rare electronic nose. There is supposed to be a switch to gain full locker, or even completely disengaged.
                        it explains the hammering that took out the tin in the first place:
                        wild ground, no switch.

it is a manly little pile.
                        It is four cylinders the way I imagined. i do not like screaming. I like torque lines squared up to hp. No inline can... until a c15.
                        the boxer is my last four cyl.

will get a good edit in, won't bother with the torturous chores. I don't need keyboard commandos.
                        sights and sounds.. actions only.

there is enough bullshitting you tube already.
                        I am set to go for a very long ride... long overdue.
                        got a dash cam, some other cameras.

the sound alone.. it is peculiar. All four down the middle.
                        Last edited by Barry Donovan; July 10, 2017, 05:43 PM.
                        Previously boxer3main

Comment

• another run

got some hard yaw going down the road
                          expected this, same thing happened the last time I welded.
                          I also remember shrinking a section of subframe to some freakishly hot welds...some years ago. I nearly went beyond boundaries of the side bar adjustability.
                          easy fix is to ream out the holes.

it feels good to have that planted winding up the throttle.
                          it is just like an overloaded motorcycle engine. The sound of it earning its way is fun.

gutting the right side side bar mount and then going at simple alignments. Make it look like the left.
                          the nose cone on the diff gets real warm when I do this.. then a silence sets in.
                          A lot of spinning gadgets back there, I need to fidget with the spinners.

I also found the one piece subframe for these outer mounts.. it can have entire sections missing. the plateau they made for hooking the serious connections takes a good hot weld fairly easy. It is plated by subaru.
                          Just scrape the death and scale off.

The strength.. beyond my need to guess at anything.
                          I was hoping to stay square up and down, but this is designed to have a bit of negative camber.. no choice.
                          Previously boxer3main

Comment

• the final countdown

this has been delayed for some time.
                            9 months. Like making a baby.

click on photos for a bigger version.

journal post:
                            Could not wait to do this, it has had a problem since I bought it. Finding a factory subaru measurement error may have been the culprit.

I left the old panic welds, almost sarcasm... and gave it some good geometry. The blocks are welded up top to the subframe.. which I rebuilt from inside out some years ago. The ride home found a bad cap in the driveshaft (I am lucky it did not do more damage).. and above 60 it floats right in.

45 degree mitre with a good saw.. made easy work of looking normal on very old stuff. you can see how many times this right side has been welded as well. The left side disappeared in chunks and a lightning strike. I also found, the elusive poison was the rubber bushings where the block is now. This is all solid welded. No more rubber.

The old mustache bar diff hanger is still hanging in there. I made this some years ago as well.

Here is the grade 8 bolts I used. I did keep original bushings.. took some work, but got to reuse them.

I left the rear left straining to gain on the subaru problem, but it looks like I'll be aligning to straight. I welded to very strong. Subaru may have done that on purpose as well..an intentional misalignment favoring torque twist.(keep the car straight on throttle) like a panhard. This subaru does not need much of that anymore, it is real geometry now.

I also felt suspension move up and down to the load in the back (several hundred pounds). did very good. These cars usually wiggle to a load..never a real up and down suspension. I know I conquered it today. Ride felt good.

So now looking for a driveshaft... or u-joint. I have never found one for this subaru, but it might be out there.
                            10th year.
                            I also broke a brake line.. a brake line I replaced in 2007.
                            Lo and behold it was rusted. I attribute this to that mystery rubber that poisoned everything around it.
                            I am glad that is gutted out, and some hefty welds are in place.
                            I know I have had it a good while now... I am outrunning my own brake line installs.

up next...replacing my rotten rear quarter, that was also 2007. My very first weld on the this subaru.

10 year cycles suck. I am going for stainless, like the passenger side I made.

It is nice to know it is outside and drivable, and it is a car I made myself.

some welding notes.. I went for high amps, slow feed, draper on connected pieces.
                            the mitre, the tabs... I then gave it a wet rag for quench hardening. I hardly do that for the sube.. but today was a good time for it. Little pieces doing big work.
                            the hardest pieces I have ever made were due to the process above (trial and error)

I left the box on slow cool, as it is going to subframe.. I know those need to move in winter summer ways. I left the front bushing of rear tube in tact. That will be the changer for bi-metal. All else is hard.

Another odd thing I have done to this poor tin can.. I have rarely left it empty. I have a bunch of hefty stuff in it right now.
                            Will try it out sometime. It is a feisty engine, fun noises.

Runs damn good.
                            Last edited by Barry Donovan; July 16, 2017, 04:24 PM.
                            Previously boxer3main

Comment

• ready to go

A very bad night last night, I thought I eluded the last toxic pig.. but it go to me. I was in the shower several times, finally climaxing at 4 am after several hours.

the bushing in the rear mount..
                              wow.

I noticed my new bf goodrich, left rear, has some weather cracking, I am sure that toxic dumper was spewing all over everything.

Good to go now.
                              i went for a ride, things aligning on their own.. but will still back off rear tension a tiny amount.

An incredibly long list of chores for ten years.

Very strong back end, I can now tinker with the other things.. rear quarter again, floor patch again, and rocker again...
                              easy going now.

This has been welded so many times, the japanese steel is now american. A mig just butters right into it.

Still not a car to sell. It is beyond my ability for words to reveal what I have done.
                              It still looks like an original subaru...

found a U-joint.
                              The last time I went head vibrating crazy over a U-joint, I bought the wrong size twice..both claimed to be for this subaru years. Click image for larger version

Name:	220-0024__ra_p.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	1167274

will see how rockuato does with an "original" replacement

10.74 delivered.

where this dials in at 60+ mph i know to dial it in to the one bad cap. Get rid of the whole u-joint.
                              When one cap goes bad there is a pinch on the opposite side..even though it hangs on, the pin bearings are altered.

Just go new.

These are very very small. Comically cartoonic small.
                              Last edited by Barry Donovan; July 17, 2017, 07:32 PM.
                              Previously boxer3main

Comment

• moving the body the long way.

arch roots, they own the car. It is the hardest piece to find in J-tin.
                                I am looking stuff over, and the right wheel well I made, its larger for the fuel filler..
                                some channel covers made of sheet metal are coming apart at the seams...always a vapor after welds. It is the way of this old beast. Good gas tank is hard mounted to body. tjhe vent line goes active after welding in the area.

I think..damn the car is breaking. I must be breaking channels demanding too much squareness from the old wimpy gay sube.

I then get a look at the mud flap, and it is .25 inches from the tire, curled in towards it, riding the stainless rear quarter I installed a few years ago.

I jacked the internal part of the body up to square.. sloooow motion byitself...days after the blocks welded into rear suspension.

I wonder what I made out of it. I bet the whole back end looks tall quarters.. a bigger subaru.
                                really funny.
                                I remember the day I realized it was fatter by 3.5 inches..without flares. All by welding wheel wells into new steel.
                                I guess now it wants to be taller, as well as fatter.

Name:	littlehorse.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	789.1 KB
ID:	1167337

the clydesdale of 80s subarus. It starts with the bones.

A hint I made changes the other day.. a perfectly good latching tailgate had a hard time on first attempts at closing. I looked it over, alignments.. nothing to find.
                                I then finally slam it shut to a familiar click. it is looser in its frame, top to bottom. Just hanging there.

Will try to get photos, but parabolic lenses.. they do not help us welders very much.

..and a followup on the U-joint. It is indeed the right one. I am glad to find so many options today. About 15 years ago, someone in commie ville was heck bent on getting $600 for a driveshaft. Could not get the real U-joints. Everywhere I went.

These are so small, I do not want the C-clip version. I'll smack a yoke edge with mig or chisel, to make new stakes if I have to.

As some know, I am not a fan of many years of subaru. I listen in on the new versions for engine changes.. the 2 liter is getting close to a good run. All four of them cylinders.

I mentioned this car makes a lot of hard noises. Really working, earning to move. the spec stage 1 has a dig, just changing gears on the emulsified cold draft intake is a jump a thump, and knowing the trans is doing more than the norm.
                                Exhaust note is just an overworked motorcycle sound, like my 300 pound uncle at the helm of a kawasaki 1200.
                                I bet it gets even bigger now.
                                Last edited by Barry Donovan; July 18, 2017, 09:38 AM.
                                Previously boxer3main

Comment

Working...
                                X