Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

62 Falcon - $5k challenge, how will it rise from the ranger's ashes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I had run a few short stitches where we removed 3" from the axle tube with the mig. I wasn't happy with the penetration (of course not - .023 wire in a mig is no match for ~1/4" wall thickness) so I ground the mig welds down. After welding the un touched portions of the joint, I went back over the previously mig welded portions - one thing I love about the TIG - you can see what's happening - in a few cases I was able to see the mig weld melt and fall into the previously un penetrated portion of the joint as I was moving the puddle and adding filler rod (1/8" steel).

I sure give the guys a lot of credit that weld certed roll cages - that takes talent - especially since they can't rotate the joint like I could with the axle - welding overhead when you can't see with your head jammed between a roll bar and the roof of a car - that takes practice!

Bishir - falcon's aren't THAT small - the plans are for Mark 8 buckets, console, and rear seat..... let's just hope I don't have to go rummaging through a walmart at ~10pm looking for parts to fix a rear axle leak!
    There's always something new to learn.

Comment

• Milner we've got three of these Crowns over here and I'll see how many good parts they have one was a cab and was suspose to have new brakes all the way around on it I'll start with that one. If you want to P.M. me your address we'll see about shipping them to you. If you know how long your axle needs to be I know a guy that can cut and re-spline a axle. He will cut a tube and cut and respline a axle for 150.00 so I don't know how much he would charge to do just an axle, unless you already have someone to do that. Let me know if I can help.
      Greg & Mendy Dayton, Ohio 2007LH 2008LH 2010LH 2011LH 2012 1st 2 stops 2013LH 2015 1st 2 stops2016LH 2017 first and last stops . 2018 LH ("It's better to be dead and cool than alive and uncool!! Harley Davidson!")

Comment

• Originally posted by fordman View Post
        Do they look like this? Nah haven't seen them!
        Fordman - are those crown vic or explorer? That makes me think what I have is all 9" versailles stuff.

Greg - let me know - you're not that far away - so driving down to pick stuff up isn't out of the question. I will have to measure and get you the length I need. I'm not sure what a junkyard would charge for an axle out of a ranger explorer - that would be a bolt in.

Comment

• LKQ Axle shaft Rwd $29.99 + $7 core charge + tax (+ in NC there is an enviromental fee)

We have the lowest prices for OEM used auto parts and accessories in the area. Ask about our comprehensive 90 Day Worry-Free Guarantee!
          http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
          1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
          ​​​​​​

Comment

• Thanks Russell!

There's an LKQ close to me too.

Comment

• get thicker tunsten, you need to be a bit hotter. The weld should be blue/silver (like your second picture) not shiney.

of course, I'm laughing at myself while I type this - last night I was welding cast aluminum so I could use my lawnmower and using about equal parts tungsten and aluminum rod
              Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; May 3, 2012, 09:41 AM.
              Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• Depression over lack of shop time has once again led to spending money.

2" spring width, 3" diameter axle tube leaf spring perches

head bolt spacer/washers

stock replacement roller lifters

Summit didn't have leaf spring bushings - so I may end up ordering those from www.thesuspensionking.com
                or maybe I won't order from the suspension king - I may be frugal - but I just can't wrap my head around $22 in shipping for $38 worth of bushings - especially since they're coming out of PA, not CA.

My wife has made garden expansion and play set assembly plans for the weekend - so falcon progress will be haulted for probably most of the next 48 hours.

SBG - keeping the tungsten out of the weld puddle sure isn't easy in some situations - welding cast aluminum mower parts.... yea - I'm sure that stuff wasn't real clean.... did you remember to ball up the tungsten with some copper?
                Last edited by milner351; May 4, 2012, 09:37 AM.

Comment

• no balling, simply use A/C. Even if I balled the tip, it wouldn't solve the issue - that it was carrying far more current than the little 1/16" tungsten wire could handle. Fortunately I could do tack, cool, tack, cool and it worked pretty well all things considered. The biggest issue with cast aluminum is the porosity, it traps crap and oxygen - both of which are not good for pretty welds. Ah well, though, it worked and my lawn won't have to be baled before the new parts get here (which was the point of welding a $16.44 part)

Comment

• Nice work! I have not welded much cast AL at all - I'm a bit apprehensive to start on injector bungs and the like...

Comment

• don't let it scare you, it's not terribly hard. About the only real differences between it and steel welding (other then welder settings) is you: remove the oxidation from where you're going to weld, push the torch, and feed the rod into torch as you're pushing along. Imagine the rod and the torch are dancing a basic back/forward waltz.... weird analogy, I know, but it's what I was told and it works for me.
                      Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; May 4, 2012, 11:22 AM.

Comment

• Got the front spring pockets mostly welded in last night. I think I drilled the bolt holes too large in the spring pockets, I think they are now the OD of the leaf spring front bushing sleeve, not the ID - so I may have to find some bushings or weld on washers or something.... I don't have new from bushings yet and the old ones are already scrapped.

The HF heat gun wouldn't work at all last night - so apparently they have about a 5 hour life span..... I think that's the second one that died quickly on me - the first one didn't even get all the stickers off one side of the mach1. oh well.

Baby steps.

The 2" wide 3" diameter tube spring perches came in - but I'm still not completely sure how to get them set up right on the axle yet - so I'm waiting until I can mock up the springs in the new location in the car.

Comment

• bolt the axle in place without welding the pads, measure, measure, measure, put on the ground (or at least support the entire weight of the car on the axle - meaning put the jackstands under points that correspond with the tires), check the angles, tack, pull apart, weld up solid.

HF - yep, still hit n miss on quality.

still, it is progress - keep it up

Comment

• You sure make up for lost weekends great job keep up the good work.
                            Greg & Mendy Dayton, Ohio 2007LH 2008LH 2010LH 2011LH 2012 1st 2 stops 2013LH 2015 1st 2 stops2016LH 2017 first and last stops . 2018 LH ("It's better to be dead and cool than alive and uncool!! Harley Davidson!")

Comment

• Got some more welding done last night. Front leaf spring mounts are all welded in - ugly, but welded. Passenger floor got some more attention, and drivers floor is closer to welding in the new piece.

Before - frame rail cut out
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	Canton-20120507-00883.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	861896

After - 1/8" plate front spring mount welded in - ugly - but welded.
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	Canton-20120507-00884.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	861895
                              Last edited by milner351; May 10, 2012, 10:36 AM.

Comment

• looks quite serviceable... keep up the good work

Comment

Working...
                                X