No announcement yet.

Skid Mark - how fast for 5k?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want to say something...but I probably shouldn't.

Whew and with that pause I've already forgot.

---------------------

I'm seriously interested interested in the "canbus" systems out that eliminate most of the wiring. I need to figure it out.
    I'm still learning

Comment

• Originally posted by Bob Holmes View Post
      I want to say something...but I probably shouldn't.

Whew and with that pause I've already forgot.

---------------------

I'm seriously interested interested in the "canbus" systems out that eliminate most of the wiring. I need to figure it out.
      chicken

But I think you've misspelled the word - it's cannabis - makes you forget all sorts of things.
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• Spent a night away from the garage. They tell stories, they are jealous of the damn cars... or ... and this is the much more plausible answer, I'm an idiot. Whatever it was, it's in the past. She doesn't show the normal tendency to remember the year/day/hour/minute and what you were wearing and exactly what you said the last time you pissed her off.

Bob, I read very limited stuff on CanBus, and it looks to me a lot like Ethernet. The sensors/devices will send/receive information over a pair of wires, have a communication protocol, and collision detection (if two devices send at the same time for example). If you're curious about what I suspect they are using for collision detection, do a querry on CSMA/CD and you can bury yourself in it. I've forgotten pretty much everything I ever knew because I accepted it as modern magic and moved up from the physical to the application end of it. The trick is some huge number is given so that every device will have a unique address. Each device will have it's own unique address so that despite several devices living on the same backbone, they'll know what packets of data were intended for them. There are types broadcast messages that all of the devices will receive, but I digress.

The amount of data any modern device is capable of processing is staggering, seeing 10 network transactions conducted in a millisecond is pretty common. The beauty of this is in a car is you can put a hub/switch in a central location, then use two wires from that hub to wherever your CPU is. You can have multiple hubs/switches located in a convenient place, like in the trunk in my case, and mulitple devices connected to that hub. Now, instead of 60+ wires of varying gauge running the whole car length, you can have one power cable and one twisted pair cable make the long run to wherever the power source / processor is.

It's a hell of an idea, and will make troubleshooting a breeze... right up to the point where somebody puts a big unshieldedelectric electrical noisemaker (Fan is a good example) on top of the network wire and it causes so much interference the network connection goes down.

One of my favorite stories from "back when" was the Lantastic / Windows For Workgroups type setups with coax, t's and terminators for a true "peer to peer" 2 node network. A guy called me with a problem, every day when his neighbor turned on his computer, the network would go down. We chatted casually about the guys habits because I had a feeling, and yes, the guy did turn on his light when he came in. A nice bright Flourescent one, just like in my cube of the time. You see where this is going? Yep, the wire was tossed over the cube wall and it was laying on top of the ballast in the light.

Anyway, the historical hard wiring of every circut back to mama is part of the reason why I'm yanking it all and starting over. There is a gold mine in copper in this car, and it only needs four wires! Okay, eight. It has to have a stereo, or Precious will be pissed off again.
        Last edited by Beagle; April 13, 2012, 05:04 AM.
        Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

• Ah, the other lovely part of digital is lighting and relay switching...LED's were made for this!

Comment

• Weighed the carpet - it's not 30 pounds, it's 41! Definitely not going back in.

Precious is questioning me a lot about ripping out the mound of wires, so we got slowed up a bit while I drew pictures for her and said things that were probably wrong. ooops. We talked about circuits, switches, how light bulbs work, how I understand how this works for the most part, but have no idea how the 5,000 red wires in a woman work. Why 5000 red wires were frustrating, how cars are like girls, and rather than trying to figure out 5,000 unknown wires, I was gonna take them all out, and hopefully have enough coin from the copper to pay for the new harness... and not to worry cuz i liked all her confusing wires, but I wasn't gonna put up with that crap from the car.

you know.. the kind of stuff that can get your pillow tossed out into the garage if they are in a bad mood. Dicey choice, but she smiled and made me supper and I woke up so it's wasn't poisoned. I got a clue as to what was making her edgey, should be good to go back to working on the cat-turd today. Oh - for the record, her pet name is Snookie Wookums, but I'm too lazy to type that every time. It takes a real man to text that to his SO!

ahh, yeah, the trunk latch motor junk is 3 pounds according to Precious, who says "How are you gonna keep the trunk closed?"

Deck screw. Gawd, I wish I'd have gotten a picture of the reaction to that! I'm betting the normal latch stuff from my Thunderbird will bolt in.

Does this thread being on it's 13th page on Friday the thirteenth mean anything for the black cat flattener? Standing by to find out for sure.

I'm out to pull the 302/AOD, I need some capital. I'm torn on selling the aluminum and copper yet, I think Copper in particular is gonna be something I want to have a lot of when the zombi-pocalypse comes. I continue to be amazed at the amount of gadget-crap in this car, but even more so, how absolutely clean all the metal is. If the front end hadn't been crunched at one time, I would have considered fixing it's "issues" and driving that bitch!
            Last edited by Beagle; April 14, 2012, 06:37 AM.

Comment

• While you're tearing out the metric tons of copper - remember to leave the pigtails for all the important stuff.... I hope I took that advice everywhere I needed to on the Falcon.

You are pretty funny with all your girl / car talk - there's more than one reason guys have named boats and cars girls names for years -they absorb time and money in similar ways - and we have unexplicable attraction to them similarly as well.

Are you going to need to do any surgery to the engine compartment of old abe to get the big engine in there? I know other guys have done it and I honestly can't recall what was required to do so.
              There's always something new to learn.

Comment

• Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                how I understand how this works for the most part, but have no idea how the 5,000 red wires in a woman work. Why 5000 red wires were frustrating, how cars are like girls, and rather than trying to figure out 5,000 unknown wires,
                Ha! I knew it, all red wires!
                Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

• Dad told me a long time ago if it has wheels, floats, flies, or has boobs, you'll end up money ahead to rent it... but I plan to keep this one.

It should go in without a ton of drama, I want it to run then I'll worry about faster. I've got car manifolds that one of the guys on the 460 boards and used to be on here a lot said he has used several times. AlMac? I think that's it.. Allen Mackin I think. I haven't seen him here in a while. Anway, he's got 3 or 4 BBF T-birds so I'll take his word for it. The 600.00 hooker headers don't have many good reviews. I had given some thought to the Crites stuff, but not enough to write a check.

A Fox Mustang, you can lift the hood straight up and don't have to take it off. This kitty has to have the hood removed. It's gonna rain today... what're the odds the down pour starts when it's just off the mounts?

John - yeah, I keep all the connectors. Weatherpack connectors or whatever they call them are cool as hell, this thing is full of 2/3/4 wire ones. I may seriously keep the copper. I have room for this sort of crap, and doubt that I'll regret having it when I'm older. I've been interested in forges for a while. When I get off the clock permanently, I'll want to have it.
                  Last edited by Beagle; April 14, 2012, 08:27 AM.

Comment

• My brother said it well "buy your assets, rent your fun."

My rendition is more profane.
                    I'm still learning

Comment

• Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                      Does this thread being on it's 13th page on Friday the thirteenth mean anything for the black cat flattener?

This may just be the beginning......... I'm keeping a sharp eye on this thread, should prove even more entertaining than it already is!
                      Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

• Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• feels kinda like that at the moment ... there's a harness that starts at the driver side firewall, grows to the size of a adolescent rattle snake, weaves it's way under and through the front end, then winds up on the driver side firewall, presumably heading to the ECM.

My first guess was 10 pounds. 1/2 of it is 20 pounds. I got ... bitchy, I'll admit it... trying to get it out of the front end. This car has been crashed so the front end stuff isn't exactly where it should be all the time. Okay, no problem. Carbide bit on the grinder = cutoff wheel. Amazingly good at it too. Cut the a/c out at the same time. Noisy, effective.

So the bitch kitty scores first blood and I just yanked it's spinal column / CNS out. How much is copper these days? I have 35 pounds of it just from the headlight/abs/starter harnesses. F* U kitteh. I'll have your heart next.

/edit - to explain the first blood - I'm paper toweled over the fingers at the moment, which is why I'm in here. The sheet metal and I had a disagreement right before I went primal.
                          Last edited by Beagle; April 22, 2012, 12:56 PM.

Comment

• I remember pulling one of those harnesses out of an LSC - ended up cutting the car up to get it out in one piece, they're huge!

With everything you're pulling out of this one it might be lighter than a stocker even with the 460

Comment

• Originally posted by racingsnake440 View Post
                              I remember pulling one of those harnesses out of an LSC - ended up cutting the car up to get it out in one piece, they're huge!

With everything you're pulling out of this one it might be lighter than a stocker even with the 460
                              That's the dream! I'm keeping track of junk, I'm actually trying to get it to lose about 400 pounds. It might make it. There is insane extra weight in this car, they say like 3850 pounds. I want it down to 3600 with me in it. Monica says "yeah, it'll probably make it if you stop drinking beer, eating bread and cheese, and fried foods.

Life without cold beer, cheese sammiches, and chicken wings? EFF THAT!

The heater core engine side extraction through the fan box is next. I thought there might be about 50 pounds of copper in this thing and I think I missed it by about half.
                              Last edited by Beagle; April 23, 2012, 01:11 PM.

Comment

• I don't believe any of it until I see pics.
                                Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
                                1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
                                1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
                                1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
                                1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
                                1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

Working...
                                X