Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So this happened today:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	11015906_10153229882382392_4826294850192838470_n.jpg?oh=e292970901a5659009e3e8541112b663&oe=55B5B823.jpeg
Views:	47
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	1021971

Comment

• nice what plans for the engine keep stock?
      Originally posted by Remy-Z;n1167534
      Congratulations, man. You've just inherited the "Patron Saint of Automotive Lost Causes" from me. No question.

75Grand AM 455:Pissed off GrandMA, 68 Volkswagen Type1 "beetle":it will run some year

Comment

• The current state is completely unknown since the guy I was buying it from was clearly full of shit. I'm going to try to keep it stock if possible, new gaskets and new accessories if the budget allows, going to try to grab a trans tomorrow and a drive shaft. I'll probably start the tear down on Sunday and see where it's at. Has 706 heads, 12567392 block and if this air box came with it, is likely a 4.8L (The guy's back yard junk yard had so much stuff though, there's still a good chance this airbox didn't come from this engine). I didn't have a bore scope to see if this is flat top pistons, but I'm pretty certain that it's a Gen3 from a 2002-2007 Chevrolet Avalanche.

No gas pedal, wiring harness or ECU, have the truck PS pump and some of the brackets, missing water pump. Going to see if I can get it put together for under $500. If it's a 4.8L then I'll probably keep the pistons and go with h-beam ohio rods, stock 5.3L crank, arp bolts and do a corn build. I like the idea of used OEM parts, and found an LS2 cam for $125 I may grab. Would you guys recommend LS2 springs or something different? There are a set going for $50 as well with pushrods.

This will be my first ever LM7 build so I'm very open to ideas, I am just trying to move fast on it. Going to order an OEM gasket kit now, and trying to find an LS6 intake to replace the truck intake for stock hood clearance. Found a used OEM radiator I think I can make hoses work for if I use an electric fan (pair of them from an LT1 based mide 90s f-body for sale near me too that I can convert most likely).

What would you guys pay for a 100k mile 4L60e and original nova drive shaft? Not going to replace ujoints or anything, just want to get it together so I can register it and pass smog if at all possible before I do anything fun. I still have body mounts, brakes, fuel system to worry about. I think its time to do a chunk of cardboard and sharpie list to get this junk running!

Comment

• Anyone able to identify this transmission based solely on a single crappy image? The seller said it came out of a 2008 Silverado that may (or may not) have had a Duramax diesel in front of it, but was definitely a 4x4. The only number he was able to give me was 131 9050 029, and was not willing to take/send additional photos. I can take a look at it in person tomorrow if there is any chance its a 6L80E, would make a KILLER addition for the daily driver on a budget ls swap CJ 72 nova.

Last edited by Proven Guilty; April 11, 2015, 08:20 PM.

Comment

• Picking up a 4L60e tomorrow and a drive shaft. The big pieces are acquired, now for all the expensive little ones to see if I can get this pig rolling down the street. I learned the trans above would not work, and was like a 90s style transmission as it didn't have a removable bell housing and the very top bolt hole wasn't there.

Dirty Dingo engine mount plates acquired as well:

Name:	10922820_10153240172182392_7859372365485491781_n.jpg?oh=05af5d49a2b4793de453aac61ea70fc0&oe=55DE478A.jpeg
Views:	47
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	1023139
            Last edited by Proven Guilty; April 14, 2015, 08:00 PM.

Comment

• Grabbed a trans, driveshaft and torque converter this morning.

Name:	17916_10153244517627392_5199547864297232700_n.jpg?oh=3a6b982ed69c68e00887922913b59009&oe=55A4703F.jpeg
Views:	44
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	1023374

Comment

• Pete Griffin's voice: Tada!

Finally getting some tools together thanks to Harbor Freight and helping a friend move. He's not a handy man so I lucked out and got all of his father's hand-me-down Craftman hand tools that I've been cleaning, oiling up and organizing the last 3 weekends. Assembled the engine hoist today and still have to pull the auto leveler out of the box and slap it on the chain but all in all pretty good progress.

The dealership is closed today, so I won't be able to buy the accessories kit, crank balancing pulley, flex plate and bolts to mount the transmissions and torque converter to the engine before I place it into the car, but I still feel very accomplished.

Before I get too far ahead I'm going to see if I can turn it manually with my breaker bar, I'm going to try to get it running without tearing into the engine at all, but with its unknown history I could be in possession of a seized up boat anchor with bent valves for all I know.

Name:	10270765_10153334831087392_1625798323828568661_n.jpg?oh=943976cece6a74b12e4a03a6eea66298&oe=56091ACE.jpeg
Views:	48
Size:	121.5 KB
ID:	1034505

Comment

• Quick update: Posted a video for the Roadkill contest: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aD3c056738Y
                  If you enter, you'll have a chance to do burnouts with DF and Finnegan in the new Charger and Challenger Hellcats and race them in a recorded episode!

Comment

• Took a different direction now that the junkyard block I picked up would have cost substantially more to piece back together after tear down. Had rust and mold in one of the cylinders, was drive by wire without ECU, cut wiring harness, no gas pedal/iac sensor. Bad knock sensors (tubes were filled with water).

I found a complete, running donor truck and began tearing it down yesterday on my day off. Hope to have it transplanted and running happy soon!

Name:	11850685_10153560664622392_1829613904037834951_o.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	326.1 KB
ID:	1050420
                    Attached Files

Comment

• Its been a long time but I should have it back on the road for the first time in 25 years REAL SOON.
                      Must TODO list:
                      Front Windshield
                      Cheapest headers that will fit around the power steering box
                      Overhaul drive shaft, cut to length
                      Complete brake overhaul
                      Install upper/lower control arms
                      Mount battery + battery box
                      Plumb in transmission lines and donor radiator

Comment

• Hi guys, I know it has been a while but I'm still the owner and alive and kicking. I hope to have a photos/Q+A update soon but for now, we are gearing up to bring the car to Roadkill Zip-Tie Drag and Cruise event coming up in January 13-14th, 2017. More info can be found on the facebook event page: https://www.facebook.com/events/1792528541010636/

Comment

• Teaser:

Comment

• Loooong overdue update, the car is finally running, driving and stopping for the first time since 1991. Made the Roadkill Zip-Tie drags two years in a row out here in Arizona at the Tuscon Dragway. The first year the 4L60e blew up and the spider gears were trashed. Sold the 10-bolt as a builder and bolted in a Ford 9-inch. The car is now a fresh LQ4, crispy new 4L80e transmission with Jake's performance triple disc billet converter.

This year my buddy and I recently built a low-buck 1979 Camaro for a new video series called the $3k Hooptie Challenge that Freiburger and Brian Lohnes are co-hosting (Only just now noticed Lohnes posted in this thread back in 2008!

Picture and video from last night, excerpt from my Instragram: https://www.instagram.com/p/BgS7cnSl...=zen_anacrusis

Got the car craft nova running from @davidfreiburger and King Matt . Took years of parting out junk and flipping cars to penny pinching but she will be right as rain after some tweaking. @roadkillshow #becauseroadkill#3khooptiechallenge thank you to my patient better half @amandalocklair and great buddies that love to wrench @digsonlynovalsx @papastrutt and Shane Fogle who I can’t seem to tag. #sloppymechanics for all the wisdom and showing us just how easy this stuff really is.

Comment

• Drove it to Vegas and back for Holley LS Fest West. Made four passes total and took more than a full second off my first pass by the end. Got a video recording of my Facebook Live video making a pass for fun:

Jegs shelf grind (228/230 @.50, 585 lift, 112LSA) cam, pac1218 springs, LQ4 N/A, 4L80e, Jakes Performance converter. Engine had low oil pressure when I got it and had it freshened up at Outlaw Race Engines. Stock bottom end and heads, all new bearings and rings gapped for boost (coming soon).

Comment

• She's almost a little bracket racer now. Dropped another half second bringing her back to Phoenix from LS Fest.

Comment

Working...
                                X