Stewzer55's 1988 Chevrolet R30 Cab and Chassis Project Ellie Mae

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stewzer55's 1988 Chevrolet R30 Cab and Chassis Project Ellie Mae

Nothing quite like an old truck, even better with a story behind it. This truck belonged to my grandfather who passed away on 9/11/2014, growing up I spent a lot of time with him, in his shop with his old GM trucks and Allis Chalmers tractors. He made his living as an owner-operator truck driver and lived for his family.
    It's a 1988 R30, Custom Deluxe trim and a true Cab and Chassis truck with a 135.5" wheelbase 350 TBI L05 engine, TH400 3L80 transmission and open 4.10 14 bolt cab and chassis rear end. it has the 10,000lb GVW brake system and being a 1 ton has Hydroboost. The bed is the rustiest part of the truck, and is sadly welded to the frame rather than bolted. There is still factory black paint on the frame, not bad for a truck that spent its whole life in Northern Ohio.
    He had the truck tucked away in the fenced in area of his property.

The air cleaner had been left off the top of the engine for several years and the TBI unit was a mess, I rebuilt it and installed new injectors.

I haven't really messed with it in months even though I know what's wrong with it, the distributor is not getting 12V and with these TBI, No spark = No fuel. I need to figure out what my grandfather did to this since he wanted to "get rid of that fuel injection junk and put on a Quadrajet and HEI."
    Last edited by Stewzer55; November 9, 2014, 10:05 PM.
    Stew K.

2007 Chevrolet Trailblazer LS 4x4 4.2 L6 Stock DD
    1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser Adopt-A-Whale
    1988 Chevrolet R30 Custom Deluxe L05 3L80 C&C
    1974 Chevrolet Corvette 350/TH400 (Garage Art)

Welcome to Bangshift. I love the truck. I love flat bed duallies with the straight frame rails . They just look tough. Possibly a bad coil . While it may be easier to do it gramps way, those TBI are better than just a carb. They are really pretty simple and only need about 15 psi for the fuel. And you can see if they are getting gas while having someone else crank it. Good luck.
    Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

welcome to BS, it doesn't look hacked; so hopefully it's something simple
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I've tested the coil and the ignition module and they both tested good. I think I've got a break in the circuit, I wouldn't be surprised if mice got to it
        Stew K.

Comment

Easy enough to hot wire it.... Just to figure out it runs or will run.. Run a wire to the coil from the battery..If it is the big cap HEI, there'd be a "BATT" terminal on the cap.. . Use the big cap in all our derby cars.. I have a 77 C30... LOVE IT! 450,000 mile rig,

Comment

It's a small cap HEI, it's all stock really. Truck has about 86K on it, it has a crate 350 in it, low mileage supposedly.
            Stew K.

Comment

Working...
            X