X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• time to make a new cross arm

now we're getting there

now in black

these were a bad idea, seemed like a good idea at the time - hold the rope and shackle up... problem is it's too close to the narrow side of the winch plate so you couldn't get a shackle in place

chop chop

new ones that are longer... and since I plan on tow-barring this, these will work for that as well

for those curious. the tie rod ends are
    ES2234R (right) and ES 2233L (with the hole) . Those are 7/8-18 right and left thread. The 2234 is important because otherwise the TRE won't clear the cross shaft TRE. Both are 1 ton chevy TRE

the arm from the steering box to the right side high steer are ES2026R and ES2027L. These are necessary because they have a 30* range of motion the ones listed above have 12 degrees and it's not enough... they too are 1 ton Chev but are for the arm from the steering box to the pitman arm. They are 7/8-18 thread right and left as well.
    Personally, I like the RuffStuff bungs, they come with 1 1/4" 'nut' to make adjustment easier.
    Also, I used copper coat anti-seize in hopes that it doesn't seize again...the other ends were seized solid.

Next up (after the tow bar) is lower the panhard bar so that it's parallel with the cross shaft. Right now if you accelerate, it will try to go left when you let off the throttle. Easy to adjust to, however, I can fix it so I will
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• Man you are lucky you're not in Australia, welded steering components are a HUGE no no here.

If something like a welded drag link or other steering component needs to be made it needs to be okayed by an engineer after it has been x-rayed to check the welds.

Years ago when there was a lot of LHD to RHD conversions there were a lot of problems!!!
      Tim
      Melbourne Australia

65 Hardtop Impala, 70 GTS Monaro, 93 "80" Landcruiser

Comment

• Looks tig'd, and with straight push-and-pull loading. Sometimes I make a practice part then break it to reality-check myself.

Comment

• Originally posted by 65RHDEER View Post
          Man you are lucky you're not in Australia, welded steering components are a HUGE no no here.

If something like a welded drag link or other steering component needs to be made it needs to be okayed by an engineer after it has been x-rayed to check the welds.

Years ago when there was a lot of LHD to RHD conversions there were a lot of problems!!!
          What happened to you guys, you used to be Crocodile Dundee

Truth be told, there's quite a bit that doesn't follow the letter of the law - but it's like anything else, unless you get a poster child (whose actions create a law), or you have a cop who wants to nail your hide, no one cares... beadlocks are illegal too.

more directly to the cross shafts, they are tig welded with stainless filer and the threaded bit goes in beyond the weld so even side-loaded, it's pushing against solid steel.

and.... welding cast frightens me far more then welding 1018

Comment

• postscript. I eyeballed the alignment before I drove it. I actually measured it later, my calibrated eyeballs need calibration.... it had 1/4" toe out.... drives much better now

Comment

• hooks in place

Comment

• Nice!
                Patrick & Tammy
                - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• testing the new setup

close is perfect

very close but it's enough

Comment

• That'll do quite well I'm guessing....
                    Patrick & Tammy

Comment

• tow bar mockup

Comment

• installed, just a bit of polishing and paint

Comment

• So, when's the next outing?
                          Patrick & Tammy

Comment

• Friday and Saturday

Comment

• pix pls....
                              Patrick & Tammy

Comment

• I traveled to the future... here ya go

I'm leading a group somewhere I've been before

Comment

Working...
                                X