No announcement yet.

FJ40 I call Shipwreck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GM made 14 bolts for 35 years (at least), and only ended production in 2002. That said, the most popular rear axle, has part-availability-issues. NAPA has it available in Salt Lake City, O'reilly's doesn't stock it, AutoZone.... they do promise the world, but I've not had good luck with them. Amazon says I can have it today.... usually that's true, and I hope it is because otherwise I'm pounding out used bearings tonight - and I have no idea how to pull that off without destroying the hub (even then it may not be possible).
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• Take the nbrs off the bearing and go to an industrial bearing place..
      Got mine there about 4-5 years ago..
      Walked in with the 2 pieces in a grease rag, he looked for the nbrs he needed, went in the back and came right out with the right ones..
      Worked for a buddy in the scrap yard.. Sent me there for some hard to find bearing with a hundred dollar bill.. He got $85 in change..
      Phone quotes were near $100 for that bearing for the loader.
      Ever since then, I go there for my bearing needs
      Even my son working for ODOT, needing flail mower bearings, recounting his frustration ordering online (State likes that trail). Reminded him of Mc Guire Bearing.. He went in, got what he needed, plopped them on the mechanics desk (after using his state provided card) instant hero.. Then the boss was impressed.. He was the go to for all bearings.
      You can imagine mechanics hate their work stations all cluttered with tore apart "waiting for parts" junk..

Comment

• Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
        Take the nbrs off the bearing and go to an industrial bearing place..
        Got mine there about 4-5 years ago..
        Walked in with the 2 pieces in a grease rag, he looked for the nbrs he needed, went in the back and came right out with the right ones..
        Worked for a buddy in the scrap yard.. Sent me there for some hard to find bearing with a hundred dollar bill.. He got $85 in change..
        Phone quotes were near $100 for that bearing for the loader.
        Ever since then, I go there for my bearing needs
        Even my son working for ODOT, needing flail mower bearings, recounting his frustration ordering online (State likes that trail). Reminded him of Mc Guire Bearing.. He went in, got what he needed, plopped them on the mechanics desk (after using his state provided card) instant hero.. Then the boss was impressed.. He was the go to for all bearings.
        You can imagine mechanics hate their work stations all cluttered with tore apart "waiting for parts" junk..
        I found it for $9.00 on Amazon got it in 8 hours using Amazon Prime.... then promptly destroyed it and used one out of another hub.
        Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; May 17, 2018, 09:11 PM.

Comment

• so waiting still for the non-bypass filter adapter - so I bolted this one back on and tried it. it works - oil pressure cold is almost 80 psi (about 20 more then before and this is with lighter weight oil)

shortened the dipstick tube so it reads correctly with 6 quarts (including filter)

taking the burrs off

back together

still lots to do, but this way a friend can use the lift on Sunday .... I'm thinking it'll be a radio day - I need to remove the CB, install a different (same, just another one) radio, pull the radio with the remote face then put that in my Colorado.... I also got the toolbox loaded - I've decided one "go" kit, one "toolkit" and one "med" kit that will transport between my various vehicles. I may go so far as one tow kit (winch, snatch blocks, tow ropes, snatch ropes, etc). The idea I'm working on is they lock in specific places in each vehicle. More on this with the Colorado and Suburban threads.

Comment

• man, those corporate 14's are pretty much bomb proof normally.
            dont they have 35 spline, 1.5" diameter axle shafts stock?

and i think (if im remembering correctly) they use a 3rd pinion
            bearing like a 9" ford too...

ive run a few under fullsize GM products (K5 blazers, and th
            K10/K20/K30 pickups) with nasty big blocks and 38"-44" tires
            and aint never broke one.

they do, however, weigh a fr@cking TON.........
            Last edited by fatguyzinc; May 18, 2018, 09:24 AM.

Comment

• yes but it's not a 14 bolt. just the spindles are 14 bolt. It's a Dana 60 with 35 spline 4340 full-floating axles.
              See there's this thing when you're offroad - it's called "clearance" Clarence is a nice guy, he keeps me from being hung up on rocks due to low differential housings. It's also why I bulletproofed a HP44 for the front rather then go to a dana 60

and come on, you think I'll leave anything stock?
              Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; May 18, 2018, 09:46 AM.

Comment

• NO!Why would anyone EVER leave it stock!?!?!
                Patrick & Tammy
                - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• stock ?!?!?!! what is this "stock" you speak of.....
                  i know not what it is.

Comment

• Stock is too reliable. I don't know how many times I have to tell you folks this....

Comment

• Certainly too boring. Though ME's HHR is the way GM made it (in Mexico.....). Not mine to mess with.

Dan

Comment

• Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                        Certainly too boring. Though ME's HHR is the way GM made it (in Mexico.....). Not mine to mess with.

Dan
                        I've always wondered if there could be a diesel LSR in a HHR... know anyone who could find out :D

Comment

• In passenger cars Diesels run in the same classes as Otto-cycle cars (that's a rule change in the past few years - used to be that there simply was no class for them at all). I'm not sure that Diesel cars would be at an advantage or a disadvantage or maybe it's a level playing field. Either way there's no way I'm going to be able to find out as ME LOVES her HHR and it's may job to make it last forever.

Dan

Comment

• Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                            In passenger cars Diesels run in the same classes as Otto-cycle cars (that's a rule change in the past few years - used to be that there simply was no class for them at all). I'm not sure that Diesel cars would be at an advantage or a disadvantage or maybe it's a level playing field. Either way there's no way I'm going to be able to find out as ME LOVES her HHR and it's may job to make it last forever.

Dan
                            truth be told, the only thing I miss about my ex-wife is her HHR.

Comment

• everyone needs 2 soft tops for their FJ40, right? how about if I mentioned it was cheap (like ridiculously) and came with the doors?

Kinsey thinks it's cool, but what does she know?

doors
                              Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; May 21, 2018, 07:01 AM.

Comment

• Nice score!! Better have Kinsey's eyes checked....that is so floppy, might be having romantic ideas.....
                                Patrick & Tammy
                                - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Working...
                                X