Project Tetanus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by squirrel View Post
    The 71 and earlier truck boxes are completely different from car steering boxes.

I'll ask Dan what he's got in mind for his power box...
    Sure, why wouldn't they be totally different...that would be convenient...and significantly less expensive...

Thanks, let me know, like I said. mine leaks like a stuck pig...from every possible orifice...Not terrible expensive new but...as I've said...I am cheap...

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

• perhaps you should contact these people... let me know if I can help
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• I'm working on it...slow but sure.
        My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

• Got a little work in before the rain started...again. Every time I set foot outside to work on this pig it either is too good blessed hot or it rains...

^^^If it is not obvious this is the quality patch that was under 1/2 of bondo and glass....but wait, there's more

^^ this is what was brazed to what was left of the 1/4 pan and the inner wheel well. Ingenious! truly an inspiration!

^^this is after I pulled that metal plate out of the hole...Not great but, not too bad...

I am starting to see a trend here...how about you?

Yup, thats good stuff...I'll add that to my list of important auto repair tricks I have learned.......to never do...ever.

I know my repairs are not top notch but...c'mon! the above "patch" was also covered by a sheet of tin that was riveted on..

I was a litte smarter about how I went about this side, and I think it will turn out better that the other...but not enough so that I'd go back and re-re-do what I did over there....

one more random thought after placing an order for yet more tools....I have, without question, spent more money on tools and consumables to patch this turd up than I have on parts for it.

Anyway...happy wrenching!

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

• Tools can be used on other cars... Unlike clothes for the wife, those canNOT be used on other women... Who knew?

Comment

• Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
              Tools can be used on other cars... Unlike clothes for the wife, those canNOT be used on other women... Who knew?
              Well, truth be told; the wife seems to think I have skill and talent *snicker* she likes my creativity *snicker* and she has all sorts of little projects she wants me to make because the things I build are so cool *HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!*

So, I simply justify the tool purchase as necessities to complete the widget or kajigger she wants me to make. never mind the tools I purchased were for metal-working and the rustic shelf I made her is wood.

Seriously tho, she's really been supportive of the car and because she's been so cool about it I try to split my free time up between the car and her projects which, now that I think about it seems to be ever growing; much like the list of shit I want to do to the car. Can houses have project creep? Is that a thing? I'm pretty sure it is.

Comment

• Originally posted by JOES66FURY View Post

Can houses have project creep? Is that a thing? I'm pretty sure it is.
                I've never thought about it that way but I can give you a strong yes on that! Glad to see you are making progress.

Chris - HRPT Long Haul 03, 04, 05, 13, 14, 15,16 & 18
                74 Nova Project
                66 Mustang GT Project

92 Camaro RS Convertible Project
                79 Chevy Truck Project
                1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

• Originally posted by JOES66FURY View Post
                  Can houses have project creep?
                  What? Nooooooo.......man, I could have built 2 houses for what I have poured into ours. Not to mention all that time I would have saved.

But then again, no guarantee the new one would have not been a time-sucker. They all need SOMETHING.

Tetanus is looking great. Share us up some house projects too sometime?

Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Tools can be used on other cars... Unlike clothes for the wife, those canNOT be used on other women... Who knew?
                    So Bob, as you are just full of relationship advice - tell your wife she needs to get smaller clothes so that your girlfriend can borrow them.... let me know how that goes for you
                    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

So Bob, as you are just full of relationship advice - tell your wife she needs to get smaller clothes so that your girlfriend can borrow them.... let me know how that goes for you
                      Better yet, Bob...Film it...and post it here so we may be entertained!

Comment

• No girlfriends for me! One wife is enough!
                        Saw too much drama when guys juggled 2-3-4 females...
                        Besides I'm scared of women!

Comment

Besides I'm scared of women!
                          as well you should be. You should fear and respect them much like the Great White Shark, Lions, Tigers, Saltwater Crocodiles or any other apex predator. What I've learned is, unlike apex predators, they do not consume your flesh....they consume your soul, your zest for life, they sap your essence and crush your dreams...but they make it look and sound like fun.

Comment

• Ok kids, What's Joe been up to? I know it is a thought that has been in the back of your mind every waking minute of every day...or not....whatever.

I got a little bit of time this past weekend to cut and weld on the old plymouth. I took one picture, I'll share at a later date when I get this portion done.

However, I am learning a few things and I will share them here in the off chance there is are any other suckers out there who feel they have the need to own a rotted out car but have too much pride and not enough sense to send it to the crusher.

1. Slow is not only fast it nets better results

2. If you think you've found a shortcut, chances are someone else has too and there is a reason that shortcut is not published in ink or on the net. That shortcut sucked, the results where shit so, if you're considering a shortcut...don't.

3. All the PPE in the world will not completely eliminate the chance of random bits of slag from popping off and burning your flesh (or your mouth, don't ask).

4. This is the time in your life where the right tool for the job is not a marketing slogan, it is a fact. Go buy the right shit. Stop being cheap.

5. it is a long, slow, tedious process and if your the type of person who has to bounce around from one thing to another you'll either need to change your habits or farm this part of the job out.

6. Stock up on the following - Welding wire, cut-off wheels, grinding wheels, sandpaper, cream hardener, quality spray bomb primer, bondo spreaders, magazines for mixing bondo. I'm sure there are more.

7. Weldable primer - buy some.

8. Spot weld drill bits are a necessity (see lessons 1 & 2)

9. Every poor sap who has traveled this road will tell you when welding sheet metal - tack here, tack there, tack over there, pause, repeat. They tell you this for a reason. What reason is that, Joe? What reason? Well young padawan, heat warps metal you schmuck. Too much too fast will cause the metal to distort and you will end up wasting lots of time cutting it out or banging on it with a hammer and dolly to get it flat enough to slather in bondo. How do you know that, Joe? How? You want to know how? I am not at liberty to discuss that information so just shut up and do what you're told.

10. Drilling out spot welds sucks but it is necessary when grafting on panels cut from another car. Get used to the process, you'll be doing a lot of it.

More to come. Stay tuned...or don't..whatever, I am not your mother.
                            Last edited by JOES66FURY; March 19, 2018, 08:27 AM.

Comment

• Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

• Drilling out a spotweld is easy, it goes relatively fast and with not too much effort.

Drilling out five-thousand big sloppy excessive spotwelds along yards of rusty flange in/out/& under is not easy and if-fact SUCKS, it absolutely sucks, and takes forever and is a horrible frustrating job and all you get when you're done is something that looks like you didn't do anything.

Yep.

Comment

Working...
                                X