No announcement yet.

Project Tetanus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For a 12x20 I'm not sure I'd worry about oil-canning too much. If its a great concern, tack weld a small diameter rod of some sort to the back side to stiffen it up.

Alternatively, along Dan's favorite panel source, the boneyards are full of sheets of metal in various different configurations. Take a tape measure and a portable sawzall - you are sure to find something suitable with some nice recess's already stamped into them.

The Jeep Gladiator I recently acquired has the ENTIRE floor rebuild from flat sheets with no ridges at all. For a crap repair it is really really solid and well executed. With carpet down you would never know. No oil canning and those sheets are measurable in FEET not inches.

Many ways to skin a cat. Can't wait to see what you come up with, your car is moving right along nicely.

Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

• Originally posted by JOES66FURY View Post
      OK guys and gals...

I am looking for input.

Joe
      I'm going to make you sorry you said that...

Cut a scrap of 1/8 or 1/4" Masonite (works much better than plywood)
      Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC07442.JPG Views:	1 Size:	38.8 KB ID:	1180346

Draw required design considering engineering requirements:
      Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC07443.JPG Views:	1 Size:	58.2 KB ID:	1180347

Cut out with jig saw:
      Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC07444.JPG Views:	2 Size:	66.9 KB ID:	1180348

Clamp on sheet metal, use "soft" side of urethane hammer to push shape in:
      Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC07446.JPG Views:	1 Size:	44.0 KB ID:	1180351

Use "hard" side and cutout slugs to define edges better, you may have to really wail on it:
      Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC07447.JPG Views:	1 Size:	44.2 KB ID:	1180352

Finish, weld, paint.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC07448.JPG Views:	1 Size:	27.9 KB ID:	1180353

Any shape you want. Elapsed time 20 minutes.

Don't know what's up w/ pics below, site's acting weird.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Loren; November 17, 2017, 02:50 PM.

Comment

• Loren, you sir are a fricken genius......I like it...I like it a lot! This is the direction I will take, no doubt AND I will also do the same thing for the trunk floor, why waste money on fancy panels that no one will ever see but me when I could spend that money on go-fast parts! I've really enjoyed hand forming the panels I've made so far and this gives me the chance to do it some more! Love it! Thanks!

Tell the boss that Carmen asked about her recently and said she hopes she is doing well.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

• 1/2" x 1/8" thick angle iron, tacked to the bottom of the panel, will act like a bead. Put the corner away from the sheet metal, tack both edges to the sheet metal.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

• Originally posted by squirrel View Post
            1/2" x 1/8" thick angle iron, tacked to the bottom of the panel, will act like a bead. Put the corner away from the sheet metal, tack both edges to the sheet metal.

I was wondering if something like this would work. The amount of time I have to work on the damn thing is so limited that I need to make the most of the time I do have so...we may play around with both yours and Loren's suggestions.

Planning on taking a couple days off soon before the weather turns to poo. I got a lot of yard clean up to do and I want to dedicate a day or two to the car plus I have about 20 days between this semester and next so if I play my cars right....I might get something done.
            If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

• What is Poo Weather like in Tucson? Inquiring minds and all that....
              Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

• Originally posted by STINEY View Post
                What is Poo Weather like in Tucson? Inquiring minds and all that....
                75 degrees and partly sunny....
                Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• well....actually poo weather is cold, windy, 40s

In other words, a nice day up north.
                  My fabulous web page

Comment

• Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                    well....actually poo weather is cold, windy, 40s

In other words, a nice day up north.
                    can confirm. And I don't have a garage to work in...It's more of a two car storage shed. If I really try I could pull the motorcycles out, and all the wife's shit (pack-rat), and my daughters shit ( I don't have room in my apartment so, can I keep this crap here?) and I could work inside but by the time all that's done I'm too tired to do anything else.

Garage plans are in the works...but it'll be a year or two. Looking at a large steel building, something in the 30X30ish range...also looking at pole barns. Funny that the cost of a concrete pad is almost as much as the building.

Comment

• Now you know why we work on 2 ft of gravel!...
                      When unloading the first load of 2-3" minus (3/4" minus on top) during the shoveling out process, one rear wheel sunk a foot into a ground squirrel nest!
                      Being a dualiem was no problem getting out after throwing a few shovelfuls at the wheel..
                      You probably got sand?

Comment

• Greetings!

I write this to you from work, where my office mate is eating raw carrots like a M*&^%^$%^&ing cow. I hate audible eaters. Shut your damned mouth you f&^%*$# pig.

Anyway, with that out of the way I can move on to bigger and better things.

So, I finally attempted the cam swap. The car was running but, there just was something "not right" about it. About 2.5 years ago I ordered all the goodies to swap the cam out. flash forward to now and I finally had the time and space to get it done. 3 days, 3 god blessed days from sun up to sun down under the hood of that god forsaken car. And with all of that time and energy spent I was awarded...NOTHING...the old bitch would not fire off. So I slammed the door and the drivers side window exploded to end that 3 day run in epic fashion.

I shot Jim a text and he called me up and suggested that I was most likely 180 out. The instructions he gave made perfect sense so I jumped back in a couple weeks later when my "honey-do" list was mostly complete and all of my homework was done. I popped the dizzy out, rotated 1 turn and set it back in, walked around to the ignition switch and gave it a tune and only to realize that again, all that time and energy was rewarded with...NOTHING...AGAIN! WTF over? Why? What did I do to deserve such hell what did I do to...wait a sec,,,what the hell? While ranting and raving at the car, MF-ing it from here to eternity I noticed that the little hold down clip for the distributor cap was hung up on the head. The casting flash was preventing me from turning the distributor down far enough. I fiddled with that a bit and was rewarded with about 1/4 turn on the distributor. With a deep breath and high hopes I pumped the gas and turned the key and...NOTHING! SON OF A MOTHER......Wait...that sounded odd. So, I hooked up the trucks battery to the car and I turned the key. What happened next was literally a miracle. One rotation and she fired off. I jumped out, turned up the idle and let the cam break in commence! Oh happy day!

Now, there is an extensive list of things I need to do before I can drive it but...the cam break in is done and it sounds great. It idles at a much lower RPM that the old cam too. The exhaust note is decidedly lower than before.

If anyone has an old manual steering box laying around for an old Mopar let me know. Apparently, unbeknownst to me...they are made of gold and are priced accordingly. Why? Who the hell knows.

differend push rods, one is not quite the same as the others....

I found the "ball" stuck in the rocker arm.

The old cam...I'm pretty sure it was too bog for this application.

I have a video but I have not had a chance to upload it yet.

Thanks for looking...

Comment

• Here is a video for those of you on the Facepage or Mybook or Twitchat or Snaptwit or whatever....

Comment

• My friend Dan just bought a new manual mopar box for his 59 Ford pickup, which has a Volare clip. I think he dropped about five bills on it? yeah, they're pricy! Janet's Dart has one, it's staying in the car.

but I know where you might be able to get a used (not too old rebuild) power box, sometime soon

My fabulous web page

Comment

• I've seen them between 300 and 600 bucks depending on the vendor. Seems insane for a manual box. I'd love to know the story there.

A good rebuilt power unit would be fine too, mine leaks like a stuck pig. I have a manual box in the D100 but, if I pull it I'd just have to put something in it's place.

At the end of the day, I hate the fact that these pumps and boxes are the size of a smart car. I'd love to shitcan them for a manual box but...I am all about saving a buck as well so with this particular project...it is all about compromise.

Comment

• The 71 and earlier truck boxes are completely different from car steering boxes.

I'll ask Dan what he's got in mind for his power box...
                                My fabulous web page

Comment

Working...
                                X