Project Tetanus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by squirrel View Post
    the other trick is to start on the stuff inside, that you can't see, and screw up there...then by the time you get to the outside, you'll have the technique down.

no, that is not the way we roll. sorry. we start with bad decisions and work very hard to make them worse.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• You're catching on! It works better (from my experience) if you straighten the waves as you go so they don't get welded in. You'll wind up making a few spots then straightening then making a few more spots and so on. It's fussy but once you learn not to burn thru it isn't really difficult. Straightening actually make the welding easier and you'll save a pot full on Bondo.

Tip #2 - cut the funky old metal WAY back, much further than you think you can get away with. If there's any rusty stuff lurking it'll make welding all but impossible.

Dan

Comment

• Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
        Tip #2 - cut the funky old metal WAY back, much further than you think you can get away with. If there's any rusty stuff lurking it'll make welding all but impossible.

Dan
        Not sure what you mean by straightening waves....elaborate please....

funny story about cutting back metal....

Part of that lower 1/4 pan/rocker pan I cut off the parts car years back was apparently either an OLD repair or a factory seam. I did not notice any real visual difference in the metal but when I went to tack it to the existing rocker it blew up, it went POOF! among other nosies....I was was wondering WTF was going on then I noticed a bunch of slag on the torch and then I saw a splatter of solder on the driveway. I realized I musta cut at a seam or old repair...it was lead filler...kinda neat to see but man did it create more work. I had to cut back and make new filler pieces and hammer and dolly them into shape...fun stuff really but a little frustrating.

I probably shoulda started inside but it is the outside that is driving me insane. I cannot bare to look at those effing holes anymore and that's all I could focus on when I started this fiasco. I like to drive it and with those holes...I feel like I have some horrible disfigurement on my face...maybe everyone is not really staring at the nodules and puss filled growths but I feel like they are....

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

• For example, it looks like there's a warp about 6" back from the door seam (might just be the photography.....). If you reach behind those and pull them out ASAP it'll all go easier.

Dan

Comment

For example, it looks like there's a warp about 6" back from the door seam (might just be the photography.....). If you reach behind those and pull them out ASAP it'll all go easier.

Dan
            yes, you're correct. It did not line up well right there. I need to grind that spot back and pull it forward a bit.

I did exactly what you described with the upper part of the quarter panel after the first attempt proved to be three steps under awful. It went much better and was far less wavy. I also used way less filler than I anticipated....I mean, I used a lot but 90% of it was removed. I fully expected to wind up with far more filler in the body than that. I was surprised.
            If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

• Well, I cut up some of this repair and redid it. It came out much better.

I also tore into a bit of repair I did earlier towards the back of the 1/4. I did not like it so I cut it all out and redid it.

The hardest part of this thus far was certainly the rear 1/4 that folds up under the bumper. I had to hand form it with hammer and dolly and a block of wood to get the right-ish shape.

I followed some tips I saw way way back in an old HRM about panels like this and the results were pretty damn good for someone who is learning to do this as they go along.

I tried to lap as many joints as possible and where I could not I put in backing plates. If I could not get backing plates in I butt welded...

I was able to employ the clecos the Mrs. got me for Christmas and they worked amazing.

Anyway, I got one side done and now it is on to the other side.

Some issues I noted...
              1. The rust in the trunk is way worse than I thought. This is going to require some serious time and energy to fix
              2. After pulling the bumper It is noted that the rear bumper brace..the part that runs from frame rail to frame rail is...well...not there. So the plan is to pull the tank and get some square steel tube and weld it in. it will be easier than fabricating a new one. Plus, the way the bumper mounts to the car, it will be super easy to figure out where to put the holes for the bolts.
              3. I have to figure out how I am going to close up 200 trim holes. (if anyone has ideas, toss them out.)

I took it for a ride last night and the air was cool. Other than that damn off idle stumble I've yet to be able to fully tune out,, the car runs beautifully. It is a bit of a dog off the line but pulls like a freight train on the top end...right around 4000 to 6000 RPM...It just pulls and pulls...it would love a 4th gear no doubt. I would love something with a bit more bottom end grunt...I started looking for some 3:91's....I have to look at the numbers to determine the type of 8 3/4 I have...apparently not all 8 3/4 are the same.

Not gonna lie.... I absolutely love doing this type of work on the car. It is calming. My mind does not wander and my head feels clear. other than some burns and sore paws from cutting and bending metal...I really love it.

I'll have some after pics up here in just a bit...No process pics. Sorry, I get so focused on the process that I forget to take pictures.

Comment

• One trick for filling holes is to get a chunk of copper, and hold it behind the panel, and then mig weld to fill in the hole. The copper won't stick to the weld, and will absorb some of the heat. If the hole is more than about 1/8" diameter, you'll want to take your time to just make one or two small welds on each hole, then move to another while the first cools. It seems like it will take forever, but eventually they get done. Like welding a seam, you don't want to get the metal around the hole too hot, or it will warp.

I like that you are willing to do over stuff that you're not happy with.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

• Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                  One trick for filling holes is to get a chunk of copper, and hold it behind the panel, and then mig weld to fill in the hole. The copper won't stick to the weld, and will absorb some of the heat. If the hole is more than about 1/8" diameter, you'll want to take your time to just make one or two small welds on each hole, then move to another while the first cools. It seems like it will take forever, but eventually they get done. Like welding a seam, you don't want to get the metal around the hole too hot, or it will warp.

I like that you are willing to do over stuff that you're not happy with.
                  Thanks Jim, this is the route I was considering but wanted some expert opinions.

It was HARD to start cutting those repairs but...I just know that my skills have improved since I did them and it would be best in the long run to fix them.

I did not want to fiberglass or putty over those trim holes...although I've seen it work...I figure if I am gonna get better at welding, welding is the way to get better....

Some of the trim holes are about 3/8 which had me concerned, I thought about making a shit load of little round fillers but man what a PITA that would be.

I do have a copper plate I picked up..it has a handle on it. I can reach most of the holes form the backside although I may have to pull the interior panels to get to them.

Looks like if I go this route the windows are going to come out as well. Better safe than sorry.

Jason has been helping me as best he can. He gets distracted pretty easy. He prefers turning wrenches to sanding....He's gonna be a copper spoon holder here soon.

Comment

• It makes my heart happy to see you tackling these repairs. Everyone thinks it's rocket surgery but really it's just taking the time to learn (and hopefully master) a craft. Good all over ya!

Dan

Comment

• Yeah, there is bondo but, it is not that thick...plus, I know there is metal under there and not newspaper, scale rust, chicken wire, fiberglass and window screen....I should have took a pic of the panel I made. It came out really good (for an amateur). I was concerned that the body lines would not line up but after I hammered out the dent under the tail light the lines were quite even so I hammered in the crease and curves into some of the spare metal I had and tacked it in. I hit it with a little too much heat because it did warp a bit BUT I was able to hammer and dolly it pretty straight.

Funny that I have not purchased any metal for this car yet. All the patches and panels I made are chunks I cut out of it's old door and parts of 1/4's I cut off the parts car years ago.

The panels are not super straight but...thats okay...I wont mind leaving it in a parking lot or driving it around town...

This is the panel I made

Last edited by JOES66FURY; October 23, 2017, 11:19 AM.

Comment

• Looking good!
                        Chris - HRPT Long Haul 03, 04, 05, 13, 14, 15,16 & 18
                        74 Nova Project
                        66 Mustang GT Project

92 Camaro RS Convertible Project
                        79 Chevy Truck Project
                        1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

• NICE JOB!!! You should be proud of that. A little filler is OK - too much is too much.

Dan

Comment

NICE JOB!!! You should be proud of that. A little filler is OK - too much is too much.

Dan

Thanks Dan.

I have been reading and watching more videos on filler application. I am starting to understand the process a little better. I am busting my ass this week to get all of my school work done so I have some time to work on the car a bit over the weekend.

I took microeconomics and business law at the same time...2 weeks into an 8 week schedule and I am regretting that decision.

I need to go pick up some steel, I have to patch the floor on the drivers side. I drove it to work today and I noticed that the road is quite visible through the many, many holes.

I have enough panels off the parts car at the house to patch the passenger side.

I found a company that repops the trunk floor pan for a fair price...I hear from other c-body guys that it is a terrible fit but, this aint no show car...its a driver and a beater so...I'll make it work

Progress is slow but finally, after 12 years of owning it...there is forward progress.

Comment

• So between mid-terms and honey-do's I managed to spend some quality time on the project formerly known as Tetanus...I think we have found a new name....I present Project Stitch.

Ah yes, more filler, What is interesting is I believe this to be either an old repair or factory as I found it on both sides AND I noticed it on the 65 that I used for parts. There is a seam here that is plug welded, leaded and filled. The forward part of the rocker is structural the back is the outer skin of the quarter panel.

Shit. shit, shit, shit, shit! Well, okay...we can do this. At least, we think we can do this. With limited knowledge and skill and basic hand tools we can repair compound curves. Why not? The guys on TV do it all the time...right?

And 6 hours later we have metal...not pretty metal but it is strong and there is no more rot. Nothing there some filler can't hide!

This spot was the goal the day prior to finding that door jamb mess. This hole has been there for a decade or more. I am sick of looking at it. This may not be the best way to repair it but it made sense in my mind and it proved to make a very strong panel. There was no were to flange the new metal. That is what you see here. I did my best to get it back about .0359' to make the fitment of the new metal as flush as possible.

With the help of my leg, some unique dolly work including the use of a cinder block I got the contour about right. Perfect? no, far from it but it looks pretty damned good to me!

Some plug welds, cleckos and the ample use of a body hammer we have a panel that fits pretty fricken good! Go, Joe! Go, Joe!

Want to improve your shitty welding skills ten fold? Drop the cash on a Lincoln auto-darkening welding helmet. For the love of all that is holy why oh why did I not do this earlier?
                              Anyway, perfect? Nope! But this is by far the best repair I have done yet. I have the settings right, the torch angle down and can make a decent flat spot weld about 80% of the attempts. I did get a little over zealous on in spot and got a little warpage but nothing crazy and I trimmed the panel back a little too far on the forward side and created a gap that I cannot fill with wire so, I will have to make another little patch.

I still have a bit of fiddling to do with this panel but man, I am super happy with how it turned out. This is a lot of work but, I have to say, I really love it and seeing the rot get replaced by metal bit by bit is very rewarding.

Also, I found a place here in town that sells metal by the pound. 2 sheets of 3x5 cold rolled 20 gauge was 19 bucks! They have a remnants room too where it is even less. I spent 30 bucks in there just grabbing little bits of this and that. The last time I got metal it was 20 bucks for a 2x3 sheet of 22 gauge! Was like a kid in a candy store!

Thanks for following along!

Joe

Comment

• Excellent! Go Joe go.

Comment

Working...
                                X