No announcement yet.

The Silver Buick's well Silver Buick!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Silver Buick's well Silver Buick!

yeah, but it's the same idea, you use two feet to run 3 pedals at once
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek
      not for keeping a clunker running before it's warmed up...!
      CLUNKER! I'm standing right here! :'( :P
      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick
        It's not a clunker anymore, right??
        www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

I'm thinking that if you didn't get cash for it it's NOT a clunker. I'm thinking my F150 is MORE valuable now that they have smushed all of his relatives.

Dan

Comment

it's too old to be a clunker, it's a SEMA protected classic historic vehicle

My fabulous web page

Comment

It's not a clunker anymore, right??
              By that definition, Nope Drove it out to dinner tonight, it's running pretty decently now. New top speed of 35mph :P Tomorrow I might try some highway driving (70mph) with it and see what it needs. Still has a little surge going up hill, I have to data log my last changes (made a few last minute VE table changes before going to a dinner appointment) to see if it's a lean surge or if it's noise in my TPS causing the enrichment to kick in. I have the nDotTPS(?) turned up as high as I'm comfortable with to filter out the noise, but I'm not sure it's filtering it all. I'm kind of hoping by the end of next week to be able to drive it to Las Vegas and back (500+ mile round trip)

Comment

You best be hitting LVMS for Friday Night Madness. We want track times!!

I've been reading all your posts and your tuning. My wish is to have the same type of a EFI set up and then stick an ATI Procharger on top.
                BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

you need an oscilloscope don't you?
                  My fabulous web page

Comment

Did some driving today I took it out on the highway and did some steady state cruising on our empty highway. Also did a test run out to work and back, so I think I'll take the car tomorrow ;D I don't have the vacuum advance hooked up so I think I can pull a bit more vacuum as it seems slightly down from my carb set up, and is limiting itself to around 34* total. Seems to do pretty good at 75-80mph @2300-2400rpm and runs decent with around 15:1 A/F. It's a bit bouncy from 14.5:1 to 15.5:1, I'll get DG opinion on it later ;) But ran smooth there. However at 70mph and at 2100rpm I'm running into a mean stumble. And it seems to be noise induced, like electronic harmonics add up at that throttle position and it starts kicking in my Decel Cut repeatedly even though I'm keeping my foot in the same place. I do have some kind of noise I haven't traced in my ground (as all the sensors on the common ground have it) so it's a matter of finding the source. It's a good chance that it's spark plug wires, but I'm going to try and hold off on getting them until I get to civilization to warranty them, meanwhile I'll move my ground wire again and see what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel
                      you need an oscilloscope don't you?
                      Yes, not that I know how to proficiently operate one.....

Comment

Did some driving today I took it out on the highway and did some steady state cruising on our empty highway. Also did a test run out to work and back, so I think I'll take the car tomorrow ;D I don't have the vacuum advance hooked up so I think I can pull a bit more vacuum as it seems slightly down from my carb set up, and is limiting itself to around 34* total. Seems to do pretty good at 75-80mph @2300-2400rpm and runs decent with around 15:1 A/F. It's a bit bouncy from 14.5:1 to 15.5:1, I'll get DG opinion on it later ;) But ran smooth there. However at 70mph and at 2100rpm I'm running into a mean stumble. And it seems to be noise induced, like electronic harmonics add up at that throttle position and it starts kicking in my Decel Cut repeatedly even though I'm keeping my foot in the same place. I do have some kind of noise I haven't traced in my ground (as all the sensors on the common ground have it) so it's a matter of finding the source. It's a good chance that it's spark plug wires, but I'm going to try and hold off on getting them until I get to civilization to warranty them, meanwhile I'll move my ground wire again and see what happens.

I'm thinking, disable the decel fuel cut, and raise the minimum threshold for now, until the noise issue is taken care of.

The pattern of the noise, looked JUST like a single cylinder's spark leaking to ground. Rythmic, and looked like it increased frequency with engine RPM.

Also can be a worn out cap & rotor.

In the meantime until you get that fixed, I'd consider loosening up the accel enrichment threshold just to make sure that your misfire is fuel related, and not an ignition or tach signal problem...
                        www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

The Tach signal is smooth as a baby's bottom. The data logs show the decel rapidly kicking on as well, with the TPS noise. I have the tps threshold set high enough I don't think it reads the lowest accel enrichment, and I still have what enrichment it's getting a tad high. I do have a new cap and rotor I could through on there. I'll send you two data logs and the MSQ.

Comment

Just found another use of the IAC. Buick 455's have a semi-inefficient water pump and they don't flow much at low idle, the factory installed a temperature switch that applied manifold vacuum to the vacuum advance to speed up the idle when the engine got too warm. Now I can just set the IAC to open up a bit more at 200*F to bring the idle up enough to cool it back down.

Comment

you mean you replaced a perfectly good mechanism with a few ones and zeros? Sacrilege!
                              My fabulous web page

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel
                                you mean you replaced a perfectly good mechanism with a few ones and zeros? Sacrilege!
                                In all fairness, I've never found one that actually worked :P I've tried a few I've pulled from the junkyard on my Centurion, because that one didn't work, and none have actually worked. I had to read in the Service Manual on what the function was. The cars to get warm just sitting there at 600rpm, run the idle up to 900rpm and they cool right down.

Comment

Working...
                                X