62 Chevy II AF/X

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LOVE watching you/your car(s)!!

Dumb question.......Does Plan II have a trailer hitch so that it can pull its tow vehicle home from NM?
    On second thought, probably some serious leverage disadvantage even with minimal tongue weight on an altered wheelbase car.
    http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...n-block-wanted

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...-Blue-Turd(le)

Comment

• Brian announced that there was a red car at the end of the track that needed help . This was just after you made your pass . I'll be watching tomorrow, best of luck.
      Mike

Comment

• my car did fine, no problems there.

My wife is going to haul my truck home behind her truck. Chevy II does not have any load carrying capacity beyond what I normally haul on Drag Week.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

• made it home safely.

Had a few issues on the way. The throttle linkage needs some redesign. There was a problem a few months ago where it was not opening fully, I made some changes, and that fixed it...for a while. It acted up again in the middle of Drag Week, not getting full throttle, so I did some more tweaking. It's also kind of hard to drive on the highway when it works right on the drag strip..not enough travel at the pedal, so it's too sensitive. I ended up changing a pivot point for the drive home, it drives ok like that, but won't go as fast as it could at the drag strip. I will figure out something...

Also the fuel pump died the last day of the drive home. It did not start running when I fired up the car in the morning at the hotel. I carry a spare, so we swapped it, and drove home. Today I pulled the dead pump apart, the shaft was rusty where it rides in the lower bushing. I've had this issue before, on my 55. I just cleaned up the shaft with emery cloth and reassembled. But the brushes are pretty far worn, so it won't last too many more thousand miles. It's good as a spare, still.

we also had some fun handling issues on the drive home. Looked at the traction bars, the wheel bearings, the locker function, tire pressure, etc. The car would do some strange things when going on or off the throttle. What it seems to be is that we had adjusted the tire pressure when racing, and didn't really keep track of where it started. The car is kind of rear heavy when loaded for the road, and with bias ply tires, it's kind of finicky about pressures. Since I had recently driven a Corvair lots of miles, I got to thinking about that...and decided to try more air pressure in the rear tires, 24 front, 28 rear. That fixed it.

strange how it takes me so long to figure out basic things about my car! but it's fun, the car is always teaching me things.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DRD cruising monday.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	229.8 KB
ID:	1174461

Name:	491-Thursday-Great-Lakes-Drag-Week-2017.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	234.3 KB
ID:	1174462

Name:	DRD wednesday.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	375.3 KB
ID:	1174463

Name:	pump.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	307.4 KB
ID:	1174464
          My fabulous web page

Comment

• Do the front tires last longer when you keep them off the pavement like that? Seems reasonable.

(Love this car!)

Dan
            Last edited by DanStokes; September 21, 2017, 12:45 PM.

Comment

• thanks!

I forgot to mention..my truck died 350 miles into the trip, so we unloaded Plan II and drove it 1200 miles to Drag week, 1000 miles on Drag Week, then to the Zip Tie Drags, then home. 4165 miles on the little car in two weeks.
              My fabulous web page

Comment

• Sorry to hear about your town rig. Glad plan II is doing its thing. What were your best time and weekly average? How did you place in your class?
                http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                ​​​​​​

Comment

• The car did good, ran in the low 10s, average 10.14. There were three faster cars in my class this year, one of them survived, so I got second.
                  Last edited by squirrel; September 21, 2017, 02:13 PM.
                  My fabulous web page

Comment

• I made a pass at the Hot Rod Magazine 70th Anniversary thing last weekend. Ran good!

also I updated my run list....

My fabulous web page

Comment

• So did you find what was holding it back during Drag Week?

Edit: whoops wrong car, I assumed this was the Barracuda thread!
                      Last edited by 65RHDEER; November 21, 2018, 09:03 PM.
                      Tim
                      Melbourne Australia

65 Hardtop Impala, 70 GTS Monaro, 93 "80" Landcruiser

Comment

• Updated list of runs

My fabulous web page

Comment

• More digital ink

honda-engines,headlight,engine-idle,paint,exterior,bmw,chevy-trucks,ford-engines,coupes,ram,luxury-cars,53-ls-engine,auctions,gear-guide,jeep-jl,camber,street-rodder,boss-429,4x4-truck,placeholder,plymouth,custom-trucks,vq35de,air-filter-and-intake,custom-cars,taillight,vans,hyundai,bentley,mustang-svo,instrument-panel,rear-seat,all-stars,audi,supercharger,batteries,insurance,shelby-gt,archive,rat-rod,cylinder-head,aston-martin,evtlc,car-battery,crankcase,isuzu,overland-vehicles,restomod,trunk,mustang-50,engine-drivetrain,motorcycles,mopar,vinfast,srt,chevy-43-v6,gmc,coilovers,mopar-crate-engines,off-road-truck,svod,compression-ratio,technology,muffler,supercars,pickup-truck,interviews,jdm,4l80e-transmission,jeep-yj,rear-view,refurb,jeep,4-wheel-drive,sdv,square-body-chevy,best-drivers-car,car-profiles,interior,wiring-harness,crate-engines,fisker,shelby-gt500,muscle-cars,transfer-case,body-kit,fuel-injector,bold-predictions,bollinger,efi,powerstroke,quadrajet-carburetor,chevy-nova,off-road-vehicles,products-services,alfa-romeo,turbo,43-vortec,air-compressor,polestar,cobra-jet,autonomouss-vehicles,k24-engine,vortec-heads,affiliate,side-view,winch,izmo,convertibles,wire-wheels,sedans,engine,jeep-40-engine,readers-rides,inevitable,jeep-cj,doors,hot-rod-podcast,borla-exhaust,wheel-fitment,front,small-block-chevy,comp-cams,roadkill,emissions-test,scion,road-trips,hatchbacks,beadlock-wheels,door-handle,super-chevy,lexus,4th-gen-camaro,chevy-350,motorhome,karma,military-vehicles,body-filler,paint-body,53-engine,mazda,ford-f100,atv,jeep-tj,grille,chemicals,transmission,barn-finds,museums,32-ford,custom-paint,lincoln,jeep-xj,roadster,3rd-gen-cummins,gas-engine,1st-gen-camaro,used-cars,rolls-royce,4-wheel-and-off-road,death-wobble,buyers-guide,first-test,454-engine,duramax,daewoo,design,honda,lq4-engine,327-engine,transmission-fluid,diesel-trucks,suspension,dodge-daytona,3rd-gen-camaro,mustang-2,parts,fiat,lq9-engine,tire-ratings,chevrolet,testdata,atvs-utvs,eagle,street-outlaws,diesel,restoration,shortbed,1st-gen-cummins,volvo,jdm-engines,street-freaks,oldsmobile,bumper,holley-efi,302-engine,electric-truck,infiniti,mt75,lowrider-art,camshaft,mercury,kia,maybach,fox-body-mustang,dodge,saturn,marketing,air-vents,canoo,week-to-wicked,automatic-transmission,temp-control,muncie-4-speed,wheels-tires,v8-engine,vtec,distributor-cap,classic-trucks,inevitable-landing,angular-front,motorsports,utility-trailers,steering-column,ls-engine,trucks,cummins-diesel,cadillac,55-chevy,subaru,drift-trike,jeep-jk,front-seat,disc-brake,dodge-scat-pack,general-motors,engine-build,obs-ford,t56-transmission,motortrend75,motor-oil,building-engines,horsepower-vs-torque,wheel-spacers,ford-9-inch-rear-end,chrysler,4l60e-transmission,parts-accessories,big-block-chevy,chassis,nascar,lifted-trucks,tire-reviews,sports-cars,acura,intake-manifold,bicycles,s197-mustang,maserati,2jzgte,bugatti,ls1-engine,classic-performance-products,ford-crate-engines,wheel-alignment,interior-electrical,flathead-engine,accessories,lsa-engine,60s-cars,90s-cars,buick,automotive-paint,off-roading,engine-swap,spark-plug,mini,lotus,nissan,mitsubishi,lamborghini,utv,porsche,rivian,audio-system,57-hemi,suzuki,lead,s550-mustang,289-engine,diesel-exhaust-fluid,land-rover,mclaren,car-headers,lifestyle,am-general,g-body,lucid,buying-advice,mecum,700r4-transmission,70s-cars,tri-five-chevy,80s-cars,dually,drag-racing,gasser,exhaust-manifold,351-cleveland,t5-transmission,351-windsor,products,pontiac,coda,protectants-and-wipes,angular-rear,ls3-engine,car-design,tesla,hemi-engine,door-controls,front-three-quarter,thumbnail,prerunner,awards,ford,wheel-offset,services,side-x-side,camaro-v6,sr20det,vortec-8100,front-view,hummer,smart,air-ride-suspension,56-chevy,chassis-suspension,diesel-engine,hybrids,impala-lowrider,volkswagen,history,jaguar,mercedes-benz,longbed,2nd-gen-cummins,hot-rod,chevy-chevelle,wheel-cap,international-trucks,mirror,lowrider-truck,alternator-repair,sn95-mustang,tuner-cars,gear-shift,53-vortec,classic-mustangs,car-title,dashboard,gearing-ratio,chevy-pickup,camper-van,engine-oil,chevy-305,saab,instrument-cluster,hydraulic,recreational-vehicles,ferrari,2nd-gen-camaro,engine-block,carburetor,drive-axle,4-wheel-drive-and-sport-utility,57-chevy,c4-transmission,maintenance,luxury-suv,genesis,diesel-vs-gas,coyote-engine,project-cars,electrics,lights,steering-wheel,drag-car,toyota,lowrider-bike,lowriders,suv,intellichoice,top-chop,castrol

Comment

• Some great pics there Jim !

Comment

• Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                              Apparently that Motor Trend website is too sensitive for European eyes.
                              They direct me to Motor Trend where I can suck up....."the latest on new cars, car reviews and news, concept cars and auto show coverage, awards and much more."

BUMMER...

Comment

• if you go to motortrend.com, can you see a link at the very bottom of the page for HOT ROD?

My fabulous web page

Comment

Working...
                                X