Hemi Coupe: 1931 Plymouth Hot Rod project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hemi Coupe: 1931 Plymouth Hot Rod project

Well, first I need to give you a little back ground, so you can understand why I am so enthused about this project. Way back in the mid 70’s when I was in high school, I spotted this derelict model A coupe sitting in a vacant lot In Long Lake, Minnesota, not too far from my home town. It was an old hot rod, the license plate was from 1964. Channeled, no fenders or hood, engine was gone, old white tuck and roll vinyl inside, covered with a layer of moss from sitting outside too long. White wall tires gone flat, and a very faded out dark green paint. It was love at first sight! With some searching I located the owner, but he said not for sale. ”It’s just rotting away” I said, I’ll fix it up! But no, not for sale, ever. He was going to fix it up some day. For weeks, months, I lusted after that car as I sat through my classes at school, dreaming of what I would do with it, and I envisioned myself cruising the local scene with that cool hot rod Model A. I would drive over there and look at it every couple of months, and check in with the owner , but never was it for sale.
    As the years have gone by, and other projects have happened, I never have got that coupe out of my mind. I always knew that even though I couldn’t have it, I would build a replacement. And that is what this project is all about, building a car that I have dreamed of for over 35 years! What I envision is what if the guy had sold me the car? What could I and would I have done? I would have put every dime I could come up with into the motor, of course! Everything else would have had to wait. So this project will combine the look of a bucks down kids car with my love for the big Chrysler Hemi, and some common sense stuff that I wouldn’t have thought of or couldn’t afford back then to make it a decent car. And an old school nostalgic look, like that old Model A. It should be a multi-purpose car that will kick but on the drag strip, be street-able for long trips, maybe even change tires, adjust the shocks and do some auto-cross or open track stuff.
    About 10 years ago, I found the raw material, a 31 Plymouth coupe. True, it’s not an A, but it’s a little bit bigger, and I’m big, so the extra room will come in handy. Back then, I mocked it up with a 392 and Edelbrock X-3 6 carb intake and took some pics, then the car sat while I was working on other stuff and collecting parts. It looked like this:

In’08 I built some racks to clear up space in the shop, and the ’31 ended up on the top shelf. So to get started, I had to clear the mess out of the way. Sunday after church, Cam and I got started on that, and by midnight, we had the car on the ground.

Last year, I picked up an ultra-rare 8 Carb X-3 intake, and I couldn’t wait to set it on there to see how it looked. I love it!

I really wanted to build a 392 Hemi, but the time and cost involved in getting that done would hold things up, and I have a 426 hemi that is bored and stroked to 484 inches that just needs a little freshening up, so I decided go with that. Last night I dropped it in there and started measuring and fitting stuff and making plans. I want to do something crazy with the intake, that’s why I was asking before about the Hillborn injectors. I set the X3 on top of the motor even though it doesn’t fit, and I love the way it looks.
    I am thinking I’ll stick with the parallel leafs in the front and add a sway bar, panhard rod and some good shocks. A 9 inch with ladder bars and coil-overs is what I have in mind for the rear. A good cage and a Spartan interior, some pie crust white wall cheater slicks.
    As far as transmissions, I’m zeroing in on a T-56 Magnum, or a Tremec 3650 with the G-force innards that is supposed to hold 1000 HP. I’m looking for input on these trannys, if anyone has experience with them.
    With all my enthusiasm for this project, I plan to go full steam ahead and get a lot done as quick as I can.

Joel
    Last edited by Hemi Joel; March 26, 2013, 01:06 PM. Reason: speling

heres a picture with the 484 sitting in it.

Comment

Very extra cool! You have some amazing stuff! I like the Plymouth body WAY better than a Model A (though I like A's too). It's interesting and unusual and A's are a bit on the small side for practical use. Always thought I'd like to find a Huppmobile or other interesting old body shell but none have fallen into my lap and I've been too busy messing with oddball LSR projects.

Rock On, Joel!

Dan

Comment

very cool, I will be looking forward to seeing the direction you go and observing project creep from a distance :-)

Plans for the body: chop? channel? section? leave it as-is?
        If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

This is old school hot rodding. Really cool. I look forward to seeing where it goes.
          I'm still learning

Comment

Looking forward to watching this one come to life! What are your plans to lower the front end with the parallel leaf setup?

Very interested to see the mechanical injection set up too, should be bitchin!

Comment

This car is what they had in mind when they invented the word awesome...!
              www.BigBlockMopar.com

Comment

Well, that certainly explains the mechanical FI thread!

Can't wait to follow along with this one.

And by the way....NICE STASH!
                Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

So the original car that inspired you, is it still rotting away in that yard?

Comment

Thanks for all the positive reinforcement!

Whelk, Last time I checked on the car around 1980, it was gone and the vacant lot had a new building on it.

Racingsnake,
                    I dont know for sure on the front end yet. I am thinking I will determine if de-arching the springs would do it.

Joe, project creep is definetely a danger! I am going to try REALLY hard to avoid it. Between my son and my friends, I'm already getting a lot of pressure to chop or channel it or both...

Comment

Originally posted by Whelk View Post
                      So the original car that inspired you, is it still rotting away in that yard?
                      I got all curious about it this afternoon, so using the magic of the internet, I tracked down the owner from way back and phoned him. He is 87 years old and dosen't remember the car. He said that he will check with his son and see if he remembers, asked for a call back in a week or so. Interesting, but I'm not expecting anything to come of it...

Comment

Nice stash of iron. How do you decide which one to work/drive or play with?

Comment

Originally posted by Hemi Joel View Post
                          Thanks for all the positive reinforcement!

Joe, project creep is definetely a danger! I am going to try REALLY hard to avoid it. Between my son and my friends, I'm already getting a lot of pressure to chop or channel it or both...
                          Interesting thing about the 30s MOPARS - they already look sectioned. The ratio of the lower body to the greenhouse was way different from the Fords and Chevys of the era. Also, they were the first to get away from the wooden structure (don't recall the year). Anyhow, the only change you MIGHT want to make would be to chop it a little (if you ever want to run in LSR I'd limit the chop to 3" or less as there are some classes that only allow that much) but I sure don't think it needs it. Maybe a little channel if you want the whole deal shorter but you're giving up head room (OK for me but not if you're a big guy).

What a great project. If that Deusenberg is in your way you can bring it over here. Someday I want to come drool on it (I'll wipe it off when done, I promise!).

Dan

Comment

First of all, if that's your home shop, I am insanely jealous.

Second, I've seen a similar build with a teeny 331 hemi and it really moved. With that 484....Egads!!

Good luck getting four Stombergs to work together. Or Holley 94's. Most people can't get one carb to work right. If you could swing it, maybe get those EFI filled strombergs. The throttle response would be nuts.

My other suggestion. Good brakes, suspension, seatbelts and cage. Remember there is a 484 in front of the windshield.
                            BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

totally insanely fabulously wickedly awesomely cool!

I'm going to go against the grain and say don't touch the body for now at least - you mentioned you're a big guy - for that reason alone - and the fact that you say you really want to drive this thing - don't chop it section it or mess with it - drive the thing with the body unmolested and live with it a while before you decide on any body mods. If you drive it for a few years and decide it has plenty of head room - then chop it - don't make it impossible to operate with a helmet on before you even get a chance to drive it.

I'm also going against the grain with the lowering - don't let looks kill the function of the car - that again is something you can go back and adjust later - I would raise the rear a bit with the 9" and 4 link - to get it level with that missile in the front end - and DRIVE IT.

Suspensions can be totally reworked after the car is on the road a while and you get a feel for it.

Your shop is amazing - I'd love to pick your brain about how you set up those racks - that's completely fantastic.

I don't envy the task of tuning 8 carbs on 8 cylinders with a vacuum gauge - but at least you'll have easy access to them with no hood or fenders in the way!
                              There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Working...
                              X