Mutt The Race Truck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dyno Time!

Basically, I learned that everything's working well and that I can push more boost to the engine. I'll start with the boost set where we last ran (say, 19/20 PSI) and then work up and see what happens. The numbers are lower than they could have been as I forgot ice water for the intercooler - still, more HP than with the old turbo. As expected, the boost comes on at a higher RPM as there's a lot more turbo to accelerate - not an issue in LSR. Here's the graph:

Click image for larger version

Name:	New Turbo Dyno.png
Views:	65
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	1196604

The dyno guy expects I'll get a LOT more HP with more boost as it was running a bit rich in this configuration. My goal was to make sure that I didn't tow to Arkansas and find out that I had no boost or some such calamity. So ONWARD from here!

Dan

Comment

• Wow, your almost triple the stock HP ... and that's at the tire? Nice!
      Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

• Thanks Beags! It really isn't hard to get a LOT more out of these engines. Mercedes set them up to run forever and provide "conservative" power for stodgy drivers. Add Dieselmeken's pump and wham, bam, thank you m'am! It'll be interesting to see what happens when I throw the boost to it!

Dan
        Last edited by DanStokes; April 10, 2018, 06:55 AM.

Comment

• Impressive build and impressive truck as well. Wish there was a LSR track closer, would love to them run.

Comment

• Originally posted by mopar57 View Post
            Impressive build and impressive truck as well. Wish there was a LSR track closer, would love to them run.
            You're a whole lot closer than I am! Blytheville AR is probably no more than a day's drive from Indy. If you play your cards right you might hitch a ride with Dan B for your first outing - the one where you get your feet wet and see the sights.

Thanks for the kind words! I've learned not to be influenced by the approval of others but it's still nice to have my work appreciated. WHEN you come to the track (notice I said "when" and not "if") we'll hang out and I'll show you what little I know about LSR.

Dan

Comment

• Too bad you can't drive this on the street too...or cn you?

Comment

• Nope. No lights (not even the wiring harness nor room for the headlight plugs), no horn, wipers, exhaust system, etc, etc. And I even removed the door locks. So no street use for Mutt. He came to me like that and he hasn't been street legal for decades. That is just NOT is job on this planet! I have driven him around the circle (about 0.7 mi) just to see if he still runs after doing work but nowhere there's traffic.

Dan

Comment

• Would be cool if you could...
                  Hence the name "race truck"
                  Just like derby cars.. I used to run 2-3 houses up the street, slap Reverse and back.. Not today tho..

Comment

• So what did it run?!
                    http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                    1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                    ​​​​​​

Comment

• 126.6. I only got 2 runs (the weather was terrible) and had just started messing with the boost (new turbo). Six clicks on the boost controller was pretty close to 1 PSI so I need to add about 30 clicks. The 126 was with 20 PSI and I want to run with 25 the next time. Also, EGT was down so the bigger turbo is taking me in the right direction.

Dan

Comment

• That's good data! Does it make 20 psi in all gears or just high?

PB 60' 1.49
                        ​​​​​​

Comment

• All gears but it doesn't get busy 'till about 3500ish (check the dyno graph) - to be expected with a lot bigger turbo. I shift at 5200 so it has lots of time to make boost.

Dan

Comment

• Twenty-five LBS boost = 136.2 MPH! EGT dropped to 1050 at the end of the run. Nuff said! (Except that I have more boost on tap!)

Dan

Comment

• 30 pounds next time?

PB 60' 1.49
                              ​​​​​​

Comment

• I think so!

Dan

Comment

Working...
                                X