No announcement yet.

Mutt The Race Truck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The definitive answer is .....I dunno. It would get the exhaust heat further from the cold side of the turbo which would be of some benefit and possibly smooth the exhaust flow thru the manifold a bit. I worked with an engineer who said that "A difference isn't a difference unless it makes a difference." THAT'S what I don't know. Thinking it over.

Dan

Comment

• Dan - EXCELLENT NEWS!!!!

Comment

• I'm getting more fond of Florida all the time - and I liked it really well to start with. Protons are cool! And Florida Proton is EXCELLENT!

Unrelated: I bought the manifold. They're too rare to take a pass on it and it wasn't ransom money so I went for it. Thinking I'll get it coated before I install it. The plan is to run the one I have for April.

Dan

Comment

• Port match the new one..
          Open it up to meet the turbo
          As for the adaptor, knife edge the flow side on the center so it enters better

Comment

• Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
            Port match the new one..
            Open it up to meet the turbo
            As for the adaptor, knife edge the flow side on the center so it enters better
            Kind of the way I was planning to go.

Dan

Comment

• Reread my post that I deleted... Sounded like a jerk..

Here goes attempt II:
              Glad you Beat it like like a rented mule... Meaning your cancer..
              Hearing more about proton therapy all the time now.. Not much when you first posted about it but last few months.
              Guess it made it west finially?
              Hope I never need it!

Comment

• Loma Linda in CA is (I think) the first cyclotron in the US for Proton therapy - they're about 15+ years doing this. Florida Proton has been doing it for 11+ years but they're REALLY into research - some 80% of all research papers written on Proton therapy come from Florida Proton. So it's been out West for a long time but because not many docs know about it you tend not to hear about it. As you can tell, I'm an advocate - and I hope you NEVER need it!

Dan

Comment

• Mani-Pedi!
                  That's right - I pedi'd my manifold.
                  Here's the manifold I've been running. The one I'm replacing with looked pretty much the same but I forgot to take a "before" pic.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1843.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	302.4 KB
ID:	1191554
                  And the reason it needed flattening:

Name:	IMG_1842.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	272.0 KB
ID:	1191555
                  The tool for every job. Lacking a Bridgeport this works well though you DO have to make sure you keep whatever you're flattening - well - flat to the belt. I didn't have a photographer so I had to take a staged pic. Of course, you keep the part moving so everything gets an even flattening.

Name:	IMG_1840.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	300.1 KB
ID:	1191556

And the final result. SO much better!

Name:	IMG_1841.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	327.8 KB
ID:	1191557

The sanding station was a GREAT purchase!

Dan

Comment

• Imagine if you'd have bought a bridgeport (or other knee mill!)

I'm jealous in any case. I keep finding mills and just simply don't have the room for one. Need to tear the workbenches off the garage wall and start over, but I'll wait for decently warmer weather.

Comment

• yay belt sander... imagine the time required if you had pedi-filed it.
                      Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

• Originally posted by AndyB View Post
                        Imagine if you'd have bought a bridgeport (or other knee mill!)

I'm jealous in any case. I keep finding mills and just simply don't have the room for one. Need to tear the workbenches off the garage wall and start over, but I'll wait for decently warmer weather.
                        A knee mill isn't TOO expensive. It's the tooling for the knee mill that will suck big $$! I don't really have room for one either and besides I only sorta know how to use one. We had a big sander like mine (only it was a Rockwell) when I was working and I knew it would be super useful - as it has been. Cast iron sands GREAT, BTW.

Dan

Comment

• I did a test fit of the new turbo today and I think it's going to work!

Here's the adaptor plate with the engine side knife-edged as suggested (and I thought of it, too). The turbo side is pretty much a perfect fit.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1844.jpg Views:	1 Size:	279.6 KB ID:	1191812

Exhaust manifold in place and the turbo sitting where it goes. I didn't put the manifold gasket in place and only snugged the turbo nuts as I was knew it would have to come off at least 1 more time. I found out that I couldn't get the front lower nut in place so I took the whole deal off after trying it and finding that the turbo has to go on after the manifold so I can't put it on as an assembly which would have made the whole deal simpler.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1845.jpg Views:	1 Size:	295.7 KB ID:	1191813

Here's the adaptor plate in place. Looks like it goes there!

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1846.jpg Views:	1 Size:	217.0 KB ID:	1191814

The fix for that lower front nut. I drilled a 3/8 (9/16 or 14mm hex, on the right) nut to the tap drill size for a 10mm x 1.5 and tapped it to the right thread. The usual head size is 15mm (on the left) and I couldn't find a 1/4" drive 15mm socket though I have both 14mm and 9/16 1/4" drive sockets as needed. So now I can sneak it in where it goes (next pic).

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1847.jpg Views:	1 Size:	340.1 KB ID:	1191815

And the point of the bind. As you can see, the 1/4 extension JUST fits and nothing else would have worked. I have a 1/4" to 3/8" adaptor so I can reef it down when the time comes. If I knew more about turbos I might have just hacked that hunk of casting off but I don't so I didn't though I suspect it probably would have been OK. What I did here works perfectly so I'll leave it alone. The extension is a Snap-On so I think it'll handle adequate torque.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1848.jpg Views:	1 Size:	301.0 KB ID:	1191816

Tomorrow I think I can bolt the whole deal together but I have some plumbing bits to pick up so I can run the oil to and from the turbo.

Dan
                          Last edited by DanStokes; February 27, 2018, 04:31 PM.

Comment

• You've no doubt heard the byline...."If it fits...It ships...." Express delivery please!
                            Patrick & Tammy
                            - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• Hit a snag. Of all things, I can't find an exhaust flange here locally. This is the piece that bolts to the turbo exhaust and then to a SS bellows which then is supported off the block such that my thru-the-fender exhaust will bolt in. It turns out that a 2 1/2" SS flange will fit and I have one on the way from Amazon Prime but it's not promised 'till Friday. Time to take on some other jobs......

Dan

Comment

• Don't want y'all to think I'm not working on the turbo. The flanges arrived yesterday and they fit so now I need someone who is REALLY good with a TIG to weld the whole deal together and I can get back on the installation. I'm taking the bits over to a guy today who can probably do this. The deal is that the flange is a turned hunk of SS and it has to weld to a bellows made of paper-thin SS. The guy in our shop at EPA did these welds all the time but that was then and this is now and besides he died a couple of years ago (which sucks). There is another guy here in town but he's expensive and hard to get ahold of so we'll see how this goes.

Edit: the guy at the sheet metal shop thinks he can pull this off and at least he's willing to take a shot at it. If necessary I have the bellows from the back-up engine so we can take another run at it (the part likely to have "issues" is the bellows given that it's almost paper thin).

Dan
                                Last edited by DanStokes; March 6, 2018, 12:39 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X