Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Silver Buick's 1969 Firebird OHC six project.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WOW!
    Patrick & Tammy
    - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• Alot of material removed!
      I knew a simple smoothing up does wonders..
      This is extreme!
      Makes me wonder just how much better any six can be with clean up and aligning..
      I put 2 barrels on 2 different chevy 6's, the 1968 responded way better than the 1977 did with only carb changes.
      A project I've wanted to do since highschool was a 292 in a 40 chev 4 door.. This makes me itchy!

Comment

• that's starting to look like a Drag Week engine!
        My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

• All the port work is pretty much done. Going for final flow testing and maybe a few tweaks to the chamber or such, but on to ordering some valves, springs and retainers.

The difference in the ports! Glad I didn't finish my turbo header yet, I'll need to grind out some material to match up.

This was a head I did in my garage.

Intake.

Exhaust.
          Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

• Nick does beautiful work, no doubt. Gonna find the limits of the stock crank?
            Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

• With 7 main bearings, I'm hoping the stock crank has a lot in it. That and the block supporting it, which happens to be a deep skirt design and doesn't have the large hole in the side like a Chevy L6 for the cam and lifters.

Comment

• Ran into an issue with the port work. The intake ports weren't wide enough to match up to the head! This is being rectified with some aluminum plates that are going to be welded to the sides of the runners.

Nick took the "292" off. If Nick doesn't add his own branding there I'll get a OHC or PMD decal for it.

Comment

• Looks GREAT! I haven't forgotten about that AIR pump, I just haven't boxed it up and shipped it yet.

Dan

Comment

• Speaking of Smog Pumps, just yesterday I just got around to opening the ones Stiney sent me! Oh boy do they have some corrosion making them sticky! I haven't opened the one Dan sent me. It's a smaller one than the other three I have and if I get a modification working reliably I'll use the small one on the Firebird.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Smog Pump.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	194.1 KB
ID:	1184647

Comment

• My Summit Racing score of the day, a 4" turbo down pipe for $20. When I get the water pump relocated in front of the cross member it should fit nicely.

I've also wired up the 4L60e and Microsquirt transmission controller, and picked up two more "core" 4L60e's. These two are from the mid-2000's which is better than the 1993 model I'll be installing first. I'll pop the pan and tail shaft housing off of each and take a look. One I'm certain is a core return, the other is from a guy doing a junkyard LS swap so a decent chance the transmission serviceable and may even be clean inside.

Comment

• That's looking great!

Dan

Comment

• The intake is getting some work! Going big!

Comment

• Flow baby flow!
                            http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                            1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                            ​​​​​​

Comment

• More work on the intake. The plates have been welded to the runners to strengthen them. I shouldn't blow the welds on my manifold, lol. I've picked up a set of injectors from Fuel Injector Development that should easily supply my fueling needs. Then started to remove the cooling system and core support to begin the mounting of a 2nd Gen F-body aluminum radiator and intercooler. The plan is to get a 55 gpm Meizier remote water pump to replace the 21 gpm Craigs-Davies one I currently have. I've ordered an IO extender board (Input/Output) to get more sensor inputs to make the setup live comfortably just off the ragged edge. I'll be monitoring crankcase pressure, coolant system pressure, exhaust back pressure, pre-intercooler pressure and temperature and post intercooler pressure and temperature, as well as engine oil pressure and lash adjuster oil pressure.

The raw welds.

The welds cleaned up. The throttle body port and injector bosses and rail are next up.

A port shot.

I don't have an updated picture, but I'm about to pull a fender or two to remove the core support. I'm on the fence between getting a pre-made tubular one that still would need a bunch of work or just hacking up this core support that isn't in the best of shape anyways. Looks like someone has jacked the car up by the bottom of it.

Comment

• Pull the original to make a pattern, then build your own custom tubular aluminum one?
                                Patrick & Tammy
                                - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Working...
                                X