Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JOES66FURY View Post
    Is it running yet?
    Patience, man, patience! If I have to have it, you do too!
    Last edited by BangShift McT; February 14, 2018, 08:05 PM.
    Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

• I'm really looking forward to you getting this car back on the road . I still remember DF stopping and helping you trouble shoot it on the side of the road . Can you put up a link to that ?
      Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

• Sure!

(In case you get the whole video, my section starts at 27:16.)

Here's the deal with that: this is after I got my degree from Embry-Riddle and was moving to Kentucky from Arizona. Haley had been following their adventure via Facebook for the trip and figured that we'd cross paths somewhere around Amarillo, so she had shot messages off asking if we could meet up. We never got a response back, so oh, well...and we stopped for the night in Oklahoma. Next morning, she goes nuts seeing the Crusher parked out just in front of the lobby doors. I go outside to start the Imperial, nothing. Not a click. I genuinely thought that I'd finally roasted the starter. Haley pretty much pinned down DF to say hi, I re-introduced myself to him (I'd met him and Chad in 2009 at Bonneville) and explained the predicament. True cause was a loose wire in the firewall bundle that was working it's way out, but DF and Finnegan did some cleanup work with butt connectors on some of the underhood hackery. And it was hacked...a lot of it was shit I had thrown together just to get the car to start that I never bothered to go back and fix.
        Last edited by BangShift McT; February 17, 2018, 09:42 PM.

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

• whoever designed the engine wiring loom in a 1981-83 Imperial has a special place in hell reserved. that is all...

Comment

• He (or she) probably moved on to GM and designed the harness for the Trailblazer SS.

Dan

Comment

• Originally posted by BangShift McT View Post
              whoever designed the engine wiring loom in a 1981-83 Imperial has a special place in hell reserved. that is all...
              that car was a product of 70s pharmaceuticals, you expect cold, clear logic when their logic was filtered....
              Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• I can confirm that analogy... I worked as a Chrysler dealer mechanic back in 85.... I got out...QUICK!!!
                Patrick & Tammy
                - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• Well...even after I got the 360 down to nothing and started putting shit back together, it seems that this engine has plenty of surprises left for me. After finding a snapped piston ring, I've decided on new rings. Except that after going down the rabbit hole to make sure that I've got everything in order, it appears that I've got an enlarged engine. My calipers are reading 4.036. Stock 360 is 4.000. Will be heading to a shop tomorrow to get a solid answer.

Comment

• more cubes is never a bad thing!

fingers crossed this does not turn into another "McTaggart engine debacle"
                    If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

• We have a winner! 4.040" pistons...that means that the 360 is really a 367ci mill! Score! Piston rings and oil priming tool have been ordered...

Comment

• Ok, time to start picking brains. This is one of the weird multi-layer wire joins that is on the Imperial's underhood wiring...in this case, this is from the positive battery connection to the bulkhead connector with two branch wires running off of it. The line from the battery, the line from the bulkhead connector, and a line that goes to a series of inline-fused power wires form a T-junction. I can tin up the fused wire join just fine, but the battery-bulkhead connection looks like the wires were folded on top of each other and compressed and heated until sections melted together. The solder refuses to attach to it at all...it beads up and rolls off. I'd prefer to find some kind of T-junction connector that eliminates this clamp system (it'll come in handy for another spot underhood) but maybe I'm missing something here. Any ideas?

Comment

• Are you attempting to solder with that clamp holding the wires together? If so, then they may be acting like a heat sink not letting stuff get hot enough for the solder to flow into the wires. I forget who it was but someone on here showed a neat little trick using wooden clothespins to hold wires together while soldering.

As to your actual question. I use insulated power distribution blocks like these

Last edited by cstmwgn; March 27, 2018, 07:26 AM.

Comment

• yep those
                            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• Originally posted by cstmwgn View Post
                              Are you attempting to solder with that clamp holding the wires together? If so, then they may be acting like a heat sink not letting stuff get hot enough for the solder to flow into the wires. I forget who it was but someone on here showed a neat little trick using wooden clothespins to hold wires together while soldering.

As to your actual question. I use insulated power distribution blocks like these

I use those regularly - I have a few on Mutt and a couple on the Volvo. I get mine at the local marine warehouse. Being near the sea has its advantages.

Dan

Comment

• Originally posted by cstmwgn View Post
                                I forget who it was but someone on here showed a neat little trick using wooden clothespins to hold wires together while soldering.
                                The real slick one is using a mouse trap.
                                Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Working...
                                X