Project BWB or, The Big White Bastard!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bamfster View Post
    So what your saying is that it'd be a good candidate for media blasting? I wonder if they could even do that without TOTAL dis-assembly.

I'd actually like to add a cowl hood to it, I think they look better with those ....
    You'll like the cowl hood! had one on my 95 Suburban, and have one on my 2001 Suburban! The big-block is also a plus! I had a Banks exhaust kit on my 95 454, but they don't make one for the 8.1 in the 2001. Great power, but they do like gas stations!
    Hot Rod Power Tour...As much fun as you can have in a car with your clothes on!!
    Gregg and Deb Miller
    Verona, Wi.

Comment

It does have nice power .... preliminary MPG is 11 with a combo of around town and minimal highway. I think realistically, with a few bolt ons and conservative right foot, I should be able to manage 13/14 under the same conditions..... that'll be at least double what the chevelle gets!

And, the deal fell thru on the tires ..... GD craigslist flakes .... I called the guy weds night and offered him $275 for the set and he was good with it, a verbal handshake if you will. Called him again thursday afternoon to go pick them up and he said he sold them "a few nights ago" ....
      Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Originally posted by JOES66FURY View Post
        didnt they recall that paint...my buddy found a recall on his 88 Beretta after the car was about 12 yrs old...got it repainted...dunno if that is even possible anymore...
        we did that with our 1991 tempo in 2004 lol bought the car brand new and the clear coat was compleatly gone by 93 found out about the recall when we brought it in when the ford dealer was doing free oil changes and compleat safty inspections
        Originally posted by Remy-Z;n1167534
        Congratulations, man. You've just inherited the "Patron Saint of Automotive Lost Causes" from me. No question.

75Grand AM 455:Pissed off GrandMA, 68 Volkswagen Type1 "beetle":it will run some year

Comment

So it needed a thermal actuator .... kept popping the 4x4 fuse. To be honest, this was the first chevy truck that I've owned that has ever needed one. Instead of the $85 replacement part, I decided to replace it with a US Alloy differential cable lock kit. It removes all of the electronics and replaces it with a cable that mounts under the dash. Pull the cable out and it locks the front diff and then the four wheel drive is shift on the fly. The added benefit is that you can put the T case in 4lo without the front diff locking, and have super low pulling power in 2wd.

Best $145 I ever spent!

Comment

I need to look into something like that. The Bronco has an electric 4wd switch and it's a dance routine to get it in 4w Lo. It will likely never see concrete again, so I thought about welding the pinions and just locking one hub so it can still make turns..
            Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Please let me know where you got that - I'd LOVE to change to a system like that in my 01 F350 instead of the stoopid vacuum actuated factory set up that I have to rebuild to make work right (it does have 200k on it)
              There's always something new to learn.

Comment

This is where I ordered mine:

It was literally a 1/2 hour install, I do need to fine tune the actual throw of the actuator when the cable is pulled, but not a huge deal.

Comment

Slowly over the past few weeks I've been pressure washing the bejeezus out of the truck ..... slowly peeling the paint off. What really helped was a massive stormed that rolled thru and we got a good amount of pea size hail. The paint is peeling off in big sections. The primer coat is staying though, and even in the areas where there are chips to bare metal, the primer is not coming up/off.

So who has paint experience with this era of GM greatness in paint?

Can I just get it down to the factory primer coat, prep and go from there? Or should I go to bare metal?

I was really sold on the Duplicolor Paintshop line, but in searching I also found this: http://www.5starautobodyproducts.com/ and the local paint supply carries it in stock.

Give me some ideas here guys .....

Comment

my brother had a 91 Chevrolet truck that had paint problems and was under warranty. The dealership ground down to bare metal before they painted it - said the primer was the problem, not the paint

however, before grinding to metal, I'd ask the manufacturers if they've found a work-around (PPG, Duplicolor, etc)
                    Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; June 12, 2012, 07:12 AM.
                    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Paging Dan Stokes ...

in the late 80's, early '90's there were a ton of problems with water-borne primers. My 88 F150 was repainted by Ford when the clear coat peeled off, then the color coat under that peeled many years later. They sanded it and painted over the top of the factory junk. I think if it had been sanded a little better and maybe was a little cleaner, the repaint would have lasted. They didn't go to metal, just into the color coat. When it peeled the second time, it was pulling up the primer.
                      Last edited by Beagle; June 12, 2012, 07:22 AM.
                      Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

I've actually looked into a roller job, but those actually take quite a bit of time to get the results you see on the net. After talking options over w/the boss (momma) we both came to the conclusion we want something fairly decent/nice DD quality.

In all the research, it seems that GM's problem was with the color coats and not really the primer coat. Me doing the prep and having Maaco hose it is starting to look a lot better ....

Comment

Check out tcpglobal dot com. If you are doing the prep you might as well squirt it. Prep is the hard part. I can say their kustom shop paint is nice( all I have used). You will have about the same amount of money as Macao in it and I know you will take pride in it.
                          Just my two cents fwiw.
                          Jeff
                          Follow My Build

Comment

I would just have Maaco do the prep too. Unless it needs a lot of body work the price isn't going to change much. They'd be foolish to take some one they don't know's prep work and lay paint on it. They're going to re-prep it. ie they are going to take a sander to it either way.
                            Last edited by TheSilverBuick; June 13, 2012, 07:17 AM.
                            Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by 1trickpony View Post
                              Check out tcpglobal dot com.
                              They have some decent products .... I can get this local: http://www.5starautobodyproducts.com/ and have used it on a few non auto projects and I like the way you just add the catalyst and spray it.

And when I say prep it for Maaco Randal, I'll just straighten up a few dents and fix a crack on one of the rear fenders .... and that's part of the appeal also, they get to do all the sanding!

Comment

Okay, then we are on the same page!
                                Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Working...
                                X