No announcement yet.

Project BWB or, The Big White Bastard!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Project BWB or, The Big White Bastard!

So here it is ... My (new to me) truck. It is a '92 Chevy K3500 Silverado ext cab DRW.

I GOT A BIG BLOCK!!!! and I've wanted a dually since I was a kid.

The back story is that it's an original Colorado truck. Bought new at Dellenbach Chevrolet in northern Colorado. The original owner used it to pull a 5th wheel camper back and forth from Ft Collins to Pueblo for camping, etc. The 2nd owner (who I got it from) bought it with 82k on the clock (in '10), and it needed a trans rebuild (no 4th gear). He had a local trans builder got thru the trans and do a complete rebuild. He used it to pull a horse trailer around the Evergreen/Idaho Springs areas. He was asking $4200 .... I got it for $3200.

The odometer rolled 90k on my way home from picking it up in Evergreen. It needs a sound system (deck and speakers) but came with a newer Alpine amp. The interior is in really good shape, just needs a good cleaning and it has the typical GM paint peeling problem of the late 80's/early 90's era. I can't find a spot of rust anywhere on it and only one small crack in the pass rear fender. This one is a good candidate for a Maaco scuff-n-shoot special.

I'll be giving it a thorough cleaning/detail today so I'll snap some pics and post them up later ....
    Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Good deal! So what are you going to do with it? Don't forget, we need pictures
    Tom
    Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Daily driver (I only average around 15 miles per day), camping rig to pull all the atvs and dirtbikes, and construction hauler. It is a 4X4 so it's a definite DD for the winters, it just makes it a lot easier getting around.

Of course I'll do the usual exhaust, intake and other bolt ons to get better performance and mileage out of it.

Comment

I had a 90 C3500 dually that had 274K miles on it... a former lawn service truck. 454, TH400 and 4.10 gears; man was that thing fun to drive. 8 mpg regardless of how I drove it.

I bought it for $3,000 with 6 new tires, drove it for 2 years, then sold it for $3500.

The carpet had a hard shell of grunge on it, so I pulled the seats, pulled the carpet and put it on my flat trailer, then soaked it with purple stuff and blasted it with the hose. Then hit it with a mild bleach solution so it didn't get funky in the days it took to dry.

P.S.: a leaky hydra-boost will eat rubber completely out of the upper control arm bushings. ;-)

Comment

pass everything but the gas station! But with limited mileage on a daily basis, cheap insurance, etc, nice work!

How's the windshield! I'm always amazed at how sandblasted western windshields get, not cracked, just pitted - hell driving into the sun.

Have fun with it - I'll second the carpet cleaning methods Yellomalibu mentioned - I pressure washed a carpet and seat belts and let them dry in the hot summer sun - looked like new.
          There's always something new to learn.

Comment

I'll third the carpet motion. Take it to work, throw it on the concrete, hot-water pressure washer with no detergent makes the nastiest carpet look new. Even "fluffs" it up a respectable amount. Nice sunny day with a breeze, flip it a couple of times, presto! New carpet!

(an added benefit is the backing will mostly come off. Weight reduction while you clean.)
            Last edited by STINEY; March 9, 2012, 10:43 AM.
            Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

It actually wasn't sconged up at all, just the usual dirt, pine needles and leaves in it from living in the mountains. A good blast with compressed air everywhere, toothbrush to all the nooks and crannies and a GOOD vacuum did just fine. Then I take a 50/50 mix of 409 and water and just wipe everything down real well .... seats, carpet, headliner ..... EVERYTHING! Looks almost new. I gave it a good mist of Fabreeze (Hawaiian scent) and letting it dry now.

Heres some pics

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0591.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	860934

Name:	IMG_0595.jpg
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	860935

Name:	IMG_0592.jpg
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	860936

Name:	IMG_0593.jpg
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	860937

Name:	IMG_0596.jpg
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	860938

Spray on bedliner

Name:	IMG_0594.jpg
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	860940

And finally, the dreaded paint peel .... The hood and roof are the worst of it.

Name:	IMG_0599.jpg
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	860941

Comment

That plays hell being a Subaru! Did you get the fifth wheel hitch too?

funny.. thats what I call BRB. Big red BassTurd... it's nicer than what I call the camper. RPC. Real Piece of Crap.
                Last edited by Beagle; March 9, 2012, 02:16 PM.
                Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

No on the hitch Beags .... original owner kept it for his new truck..... BUT!.... my buddy has one that fits those rails.

It does burnouts! I'll have to get Stewie to video one .... HA!

Comment

the only way to fix the peel is to strip it off.... seriously, I'd consider buying a new-to-you fender and hood (white) where the paint is still attached. then you only have the roof to fix.
                    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

didnt they recall that paint...my buddy found a recall on his 88 Beretta after the car was about 12 yrs old...got it repainted...dunno if that is even possible anymore...
                      If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

IDK ... but you can bet I'll be checking now ....

Comment

Those seats look way comfortable. I'd just Maco the truck white and call it the day.
                          Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick View Post
                            Those seats look way comfortable. I'd just Maco the truck white and call it the day.
                            I was going to say the same. Nice truck, I really like it, it's way nicer then I imagined. I think you did really well. The body looks straight and solid, slip the painter at Maco a few bucks too. Heck, they paint a lot of cars.
                            Tom
                            Overdrive is overrated

Comment

I was at the parts house and a guy rolled in in a 90s cherokee w/fresh paint. I asked him who did it ..... Maaco ..... $406 out the door. It looked nice, better than I can do in the garage for sure.

Comment

Working...
                              X